What's new

WEHT Rhino's Crown International releases? (1 Viewer)

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Does anyone know whatever happened to the Crown International releases? Rhino had put several of them out and remastered from the original negs. (ie "Weekend with the Babysitter", "The Hearse", "Las Vegas Lady", etc.)There was also the excellent "Horrible Horrors" collections vol 1 & 2. I'd love to see the rest of the CIP titles released, but Rhino never continued. Does another studio now own the rights?

Here's a link to their titles: http://www.crownintlpictures.com/title.html

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
We were going to get more volumes of the "Horrible Horrors" Collection every few months but the first two sold poorly so the rest of the titles are iffy. The last I heard there were no current plans for future releases.

AndySvn

Agent
That's a shame. I really enjoyed "Horrible Horrors" vol. 2 and thought Rhino did a great restoration job on "Nightmare In Wax". I also thought their transfer of "The Devil's Hand" was the best of all the PD versions out there.

cliffMac

Agent
Yes, BCI has picked up the Crown International library and we will be releasing titles every month staring in July with new remastered transfers of MY TUTOR (Anamorphic) and MY CHAUFFEUR. We will also be releasing some double features that month including INDIAN PAINT/AFRICAN SAFARI and two Crime films CARNIVAL OF CRIME/THE HOSTAGE. We have a new version of GALAXINA coming in August from a new Anamorphic Widescreen transfer with loads of special features.
We plan to release the entire library over the next four years.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Cliff, are you aware of the issues with the stuff Rhino DID release?

I'm not sure if you're aware but there are several directors that were interested in being involved with the DVD releases but Rhino weren't interested.

cliffMac

Agent
Hi,
I'm aware of some of the issues.... mostly those regarding master quality.
Do you know which directors are interested?
I've talked to the director of GALAXINA and STANLEY.
Thanks!
Cliff

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
STANLEY was the one I was thinking about. It seemed he was quite unhappy about the last DVD release. I'm not sure if it's true but I heard he has a longer print of the film. I'm sure Sam Sherman would also be interested in BLOOD OF DRACULA'S CASTLE since he's worked on every other Adamson DVD.

cliffMac

Agent
Yes, he mentioned a different version which we will look for. A new transfer was done a few years ago and i'm not sure if that was the version used by Rhino.

Cliff

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Great to hear the titles will be released. I hope to see a newly remastered version of Van Nuys Blvd and the complete, uncut release of Don't Answer the Phone.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Cliff, Rhino actually used a cut, TV print for the film, which was in pretty poor shape. For $15, these Rhino sets were good but God knows there are a lot of fans out there that would gladly pay $15 a title to get it done right.

cliffMac

Agent
Hi,
My Chauffeur will be full frame. The lab told me if they had matted the film we would have lost some picture from the top and bottom. So, i guess it was shot with an open matte. I will have to report back on the sound. I haven't had a chance to see a master yet.

DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE will be the uncut version. I am looking forward to releasing this film in it's complete version. We hope to have some extras on the disc as well.

GALAXINA will be a full blown special edition.

Best,
Cliff

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

cool!
is there a complete listing of CI films anywhere?
thank God they're out of Rhinos hands, finally. Good luck on these Cliff!

cliffMac

Agent
Crown has a website that lists all their films. If you type Crown International on yahoo.com the website is listed there... I can't remember it off the top of my head.:)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
thanks.

so do you have the rights to French Quarter?
any chance that might get a release. I've never seen it, but Maltins guide gives it 3 stars and it sounds fairly interesting.

any Dorothy Stratton-centric extras planned for Galaxina?

cliffMac

Agent
Hey,
Yes, French Quarter will be coming.

We have some nice Stratten extra - a very large still gallery and a great text bio that will be part of a large booklet. I'd love to have Peter Bogdanovich on board...anyone know him? :)

Cliff

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Will this be the first time BCI/Eclipse has actually released digitally remastered, cleaned-up widescreen editions of their acquired titles?

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator

The reason I did not purchase any of those titles is that the quality of every other Rhino DVD I have ever bought has been terrible. In fact, "Galaxina" is absolutely the worst DVD I have ever seen, and I own over 3000 discs. So don't blame the fans. If Rhino issued quality product, I would have made the purchase.

I'm encouraged by the posts I'm reading from BCI/Eclipse on the upcoming releases. Looking forward to those titles!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Are there any plans at this time for the Mae West film Sextette? The Rhino release was an abomination, the sound even worse than the picture.

Yes, I realize it's not a good movie but West fans and completists would very much appreciate a decent DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks