What's new

Warner Archives suggestions for 2016 (1 Viewer)

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
bubuwest said:
THE NAKED SPUR please!!! Anthony Mann+Jimmy Stewart +gorgeous Technicolor cinematography. What's more to like?
Robert Ryan is the best thing about this film...But the end of the film is a little week. But BD would be fucking awesome...

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
Hollywodland said:
BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK(1955)

PHILADELPHIA STORY(1940)

THE SET-UP (1949)

THE RACKET (1951)

MAN WANTED(1932)please!!!

THE LAST FLIGHT (1931) please!!!

BORN TO KILL (1947)

THE SEARCH (1948)

DINNER AT EIGHT (1936)

CLASH BY NIGHT (1952)

THE WRONG MAN (1956)

ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1952)

THE BIG SLEEP (1946)

HIGH SIERRA (1941)

BUT BOVE ALL: A STAR IS BORN (1937) PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please give us original Star Is Born!!!!!!!!!!!

Also: BEAUTY AND THE BOSS

CROSSFIRE

NOW, VOYAGER,

BEST OF THE BADMEN (1951)

WOMAN ON THE BEACH (1949)

*I really miss early 30s films on Blu ray... And can you please, for fucking sake, put Tender Comrade on MOD DVD? Why isnt WAC doing MOD BDs???

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
ajabrams said:
AFAIK - Only fragments of the THE ROGUE SONG are known to exist.
Actually, the film was originally entitles THE PIROGUE SARONG, and was a predecessor to THE HURRICANE. THE ROGUE SONG is all that remains.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
ajabrams said:
The Prince and the Showgirl -BD

Greed (both versions)-BD

Victor Victoria-BD

Pennies From Heaven-BD

Memory Lane (1926) - delightful film, languishing in the archives

The Devils(!) - BD

Around the World in 80 Days -restoration - BD

The long delayed Show Boat trilogy - BD

the remaining Wheeler and Woolsey films

The Boy Friend - BD

The Great Ziegfeld -BD

Dynamite - Demille's first talkie and the last of his MGM films to not yet appear on DVD

etc!!
I have seen HD masters of VICTOR/VICTORIA, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS and PENNIES FROM HEAVEN. They all (to use a phrase from the 60's) "look swell." Apparently WB hasn't yet figured how to make a profit from their commercial release.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
PODER said:
Okay ... some specifics from either Warner or MGM for which I have my fingers crossed:

Silents: FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, GREED, THE STUDENT PRINCE IN OLD HEIDELBERG, THE SCARLET LETTER.

I totally agree. The Four Horsemen screened a few years ago in Los Angeles with Kevin Brownlow hosting the event. The gorgeous Carl Davis score accompanied the presentation. Quite a lovely looking print, too. I really can't understand why WB will not partner with Brownlow's Photoplay company, since Brownlow stated in his introduction that he wished they would. The Four Horsemen, The Student Prince, Greed, The Wind and The Crowd have already been restored for various screenings through Photoplay. It would be a matter of creating new HD masters, of course. How about a boxed set of, say, "Masterpieces of Silent Cinema" or whatever they'd like to call it? They did it with 1939 for crying out loud. How would this not be feather in WB's cap? It would be such a treat for fans of historical cinema. Also, would like to add the Robert Wise Helen of Troy and The Rose Tattoo to my WB most wanted list.

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
CAMILLE with Garbo and Taylor...

And again, it would be awesome if WAC would finally put some of the 30s pre-codes in HD...

And holy fuck... one wish has already came true-WRONG MAN! cool...!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Dick said:
I have seen HD masters of VICTOR/VICTORIA, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS and PENNIES FROM HEAVEN. They all (to use a phrase from the 60's) "look swell." Apparently WB hasn't yet figured how to make a profit from their commercial release.

May I ask where you managed to see those other than TV or streaming services?

Warner probably has the stance that IF they release Around The World in 80 Days then it should be a big thing and come from a new scan.

As the costs for this would be so high this effectively means that nothing gets released. On the other hand HD versions of the movie are available on Amazon, vudu and sometimes Netflix so that will do until a BD release.

I think that the HD master looks good for something that one can stream but with a Blu-ray it depends on the perspective of the viewer. From what I have seen it looks as if a Blu-ray would be comparable in quality and issues to the first release of My Fair Lady - we all know how well that one was received....

Regarding the other two the quality demands for standard 35mm productions should be lower so I can imagine that releasing them in a less than perfect state would be a possibility. They should be far less problematic than Around The World anyway.

I have to admit that I'm not very knowledgable about who has the current rights to films. I'm basing my list on who put out the DVDs.

Altman - McCabe and Mrs. Miller 1971
Antonioni - Blow Up 1966
Cukor - The Philadelphia Story 1940
Hawks - Bringing Up Baby 1938
Hawks - To Have and Have Not 1944
Lubitsch - The Shop Around the Corner 1940
Peckinpah - Ride the High Country 1962
Peckinpah - Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 1973
Penn - Night Moves 1975
Welles - The Magnificent Ambersons 1942

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
"The Boy Friend" please as the HD version shown on the Warner Archive is so superior to the SD version WB has for sale. The full stage views used throughout this film really need the extra detail that HD can provide. Would also like a BD of "The Devils","Oh What A Lovely War" and "The Wall" but The Boy Friend is on the top of my list.
_The_Boyfriend__(1971).jpg

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
1) Telefon (Charles Bronson)

2) St. Ives (Charles Bronson)

3) Forced Vengeance (Chuck Norris)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Brad Fackler said:
I have to admit that I'm not very knowledgable about who has the current rights to films. I'm basing my list on who put out the DVDs.

Altman - McCabe and Mrs. Miller 1971
Antonioni - Blow Up 1966
Cukor - The Philadelphia Story 1940
Hawks - Bringing Up Baby 1938
Hawks - To Have and Have Not 1944
Lubitsch - The Shop Around the Corner 1940
Peckinpah - Ride the High Country 1962
Peckinpah - Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 1973
Penn - Night Moves 1975
Welles - The Magnificent Ambersons 1942
McCabe and Mrs Miller is coming from Criterion per their New Years drawing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks