What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archives needs to release more films from the 60 's 70's and 80's (1 Viewer)

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I think its great Warner releases films from the thirties and Forties but they seem to be ignoring films such as--PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----GOODBYE MR CHIPS---ALICE DOESNT LIVE HERE ANYMORE--WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?---THE BUTCHER BOY---THE SHELTERING SKY---SURVIVING PICASSO---SHOOT THE MOON--WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY---UP THE DOWNSTAIRCASE. Not one of them is on bluray.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My number one wish is The Mosquito Coast from 1986. I still don't understand how a Harrison Ford/Helen Mirren/River Phoenix movie can be buried now. Even a TV remake did not generate interest in it...
As I understand it, Warner no longer owns it; the rights reverted to the producer Saul Zentz a while back. Certainly before the streaming mini-series was developed, as Warner wasn't involved at all with that.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
A138637B-F4DA-4069-BD2F-E00BF5B16850.jpeg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm sure that I read about a podcast where George Feltenstein said he wanted to release Pennies From Heaven, but it needs a 4K from the cut negatives due to all the dupes in it, so I fully expect it to arrive (& that's the only film in that little list that I'd want). Off the top of my head there's a few I'd like:

She (1965) - There's a big She sized gap in the Hammer Blu-ray catalogue.
Start The Revolution Without Me (1970) - I've loved this madcap comedy since I saw it at the Warner Cinema London over 50 years ago!
Alex In Wonderland (1970) - A longshot, an offbeat comedy, but how many films have a cameo by Federico Fellini.
Savage Messiah - Never seen it, but it would be a rare blind buy for me. We need more Ken!
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid (1973) - Another big gap.
Oh Lucky Man (1973) - Much needed, if only to complete the Lindsay Anderson/Mick Travis trilogy (along with If.... & Britannia Hospital).

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I’m surprised The Nun’s Story hasn’t been released yet. Warner Bros have a very good HD master which has been shown a couple of times by the BBC recently ( it was a roadshow attraction in the U.K.).

Wondering if that's the transfer used for digital streaming (at least on the better services/providers like iTunes)...

I bought it via iTunes some time ago, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet...

_Man_

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm in for the 50's too, hopefully more in the realm of Ivanhoe like the usual suspects: Helen of Troy, Land of the Pharaohs, The Prodigal, Julius Caesar and The Silver Chalice. Any one of these would be wonderful.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wondering if that's the transfer used for digital streaming (at least on the better services/providers like iTunes)...

I bought it via iTunes some time ago, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet...

_Man_
I have it on iTunes. It's good but not revelatory. I think a Blu-ray disc would be superior. As one of my all-time favorite films, a disc would be most welcome.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Throwing in a few that haven’t been mentioned yet: All Fall Down, Night of the Iguana, Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, Splendor in the Grass, and of course, Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? … finally rescued from its rights issues :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think its great Warner releases films from the thirties and Forties but they seem to be ignoring films such as--PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----GOODBYE MR CHIPS---ALICE DOESNT LIVE HERE ANYMORE--WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?---THE BUTCHER BOY---THE SHELTERING SKY---SURVIVING PICASSO---SHOOT THE MOON--WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY---UP THE DOWNSTAIRCASE. Not one of them is on bluray.
Yes, the 60's-80's should be better represented by WAC, but mixed equally with further great classics from the 30's - 50's. I also hope he gets us THE WIND, THE CROWD, GREED and other silents from the 20's.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I would like to see more of the late-1950s - early-1960s soapers: A Summer Place, Parrish, Ice Palace, The Bramble Bush, The Dark At the Top Of The Stairs, Youngblood Hawke, etc.
I totally agree with this and would include early and mid 50's too as I consider films prior to the mid 60's to be far superior to the films of the 70's and 80's from entertaining standpoint. It amazes me how currently it seems every low budget bad and mediocre slasher movie made in the 70's is available on Blu-ray while we still wait for actual quality productions to get an upgrade. An example, we don't have A Summer Place or Parrish but you can get a special edition of crap like Uncle Sam: I Want You Dead or complete boxed sets of brain dead slasher series.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan

Don't count on much. The longer they hold out.
The more they can get for them.
It's all about one thing!
MONEY!

Robert McNay

Agent
Real Name
Robert
All these movies being lamented as not being released by Warner Home Video. Just because it had a Warner Bros. logo at the beginning of the credits, that doesn't mean it is owned by Warner Bros. How many of you actually looked into what of their favorite non-releases are actually WB films, and not owned by a production company or an artist?

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
Don't count on much. The longer they hold out.
The more they can get for them.
It's all about one thing!
MONEY!
No, actually they longer they hold out (releasing upgrades of their older titles) the more money they LOSE because with every day that goes by the base of older people most likely to buy these titles passes away.

jan goorsky

Agent
Shoot the Moon is one of best and most realistic films ever made about divorce. O Lucky Man is in a class of itself and needs to be seen by a new generation of film lovers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.