What's new

Warner Archives suggestions for 2016 (1 Viewer)

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
  1. RYANS DAUGHTER-----LOCAL HERO----GOODBYE MR CHIPS------PENNIES FROM HEAVEN---MICHAEL COLLINS---SUMMER OF 42---UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE----GOODBYE GIRL---PACIFIC HEIGHTS---SHOOT THE MOON----MAN IN THE MOON-----SURVIVING PICASSO----PLAY IT AGAIN SAM---CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD-----ANGELAS ASHES----ORDINARY PEOPLE
Warner said on Twitter that the next announcement is on Tuesday Feb. 9.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Is Pride of the Yankees controlled by Warner? It's RKO so I presume it is?

That one definitely deserves their attention ASAP.

very little has come to furition of that collectionof Goldwyn titles that they have for distribution

Dodsworth
Wuthering Heights
Pride of the Yankees
The little Foxes

would all be welcomed

and while were at it since WAC is looking at titles how about Nicholas Roeg's The Witches in it proper aspect ratio

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I can't resist a list. I don't think there's been any westerns released on the Archive label yet, so here's ten:

They Died With Their Boots On '41
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon '59 (hopefully soon)
The Big Sky '52 (there may be element problems here)
The Naked Spur '53
Westwood The Women '53
The Last Hunt '56
Ride The High Country '62
There Was A Crooked Man '70
The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean '72 (For Texas & Miss Lillie!)
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid '73 (just the Turner cut would do me).

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ride The High Country should be in good enough shape for a release already as can be seen on vudu, Garret apparently not. My guess would be that Warner is still considering to release them all in some kind of box set together with the Wild Bunch?

My first choice if only one version gets released would be the Turner cut, too, it is still my favorite.

I also would love to see a BD version of Westbound with Randy Scott.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
...I've probably entered this pipe dream somewhere else, but...

4K " Raintree County" completely restored with overture, and entre'act music
....and while I'm at it start producing blu-rays as well as their 4K counterpart...!

Too expensive to be released in the Archive after the work has been done to Warners standards but we can always dream :)

I think we have two scenarios:

Scenario 1: A Ben-Hur like effort complete with a DVD, BD and possibly UHD release - my favorite :D

Scenario 2: Warner is farming Raintree County out to some other entity and we get a release that is created with a small to medium budget.
Large format movies have been released as of late that show it can be done. To me the best examples with astonishing detail and little to no DNR applied are two of the Bronston superproductions in Europe, namely 55 Days in Peking and Circus World.

I think we have been waiting for scenario 1 to play out for ages so maybe it is time that Warner considers to let others do something with Raintree, even if it was only a release of the 35mm roadshow version on DVD and BD. Still better than to keep everybody waiting for another decade.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Too expensive to be released in the Archive after the work has been done to Warners standards but we can always dream :)

starFilm-turner-entertainment.jpg

It seems as if they're going the Archive route for most of their catalogue titles these days, though, aren't they? If an all-time classic like The Big Sleep can't get a traditional WHV release, it doesn't bode well for other films. It's a concern of mine that for this reason Raintree will continue to remain in limbo.

Next year is Raintree's 60th anniversary and while I'm not holding my breath, I hope WB will do something to commemorate this. Obviously I'm rooting for option number one, but I'd gladly take the compromise you propose with option two. We've all been waiting so long.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It seems as if they're going the Archive route for most of their catalogue titles these days, though, aren't they? If an all-time classic like The Big Sleep can't get a traditional WHV release, it doesn't bode well for other films. It's a concern of mine that for this reason Raintree will continue to remain in limbo.

Next year is Raintree's 60th anniversary and while I'm not holding my breath, I hope WB will do something to commemorate this. Obviously I'm rooting for option number one, but I'd gladly take the compromise you propose with option two. We've all been waiting so long.

Yes, they go Archive a lot these days but Raintree County could easily cost more than 10 times as much to preserve and to bring it to Blu-ray in the Warner way compared to The Big Sleep. Its production year and large format shoot combined with a roadshow version that has not been properly preserved make its release so costly and in the end not even that satisfactory.

So with the 60th anniversary there is at least hope that we will get something in decent HD quality next year. What TCM aired is certainly not an acceptable substitute for a Blu-ray!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
epic / large format, probably only possible as older masters or regular releases due to cost:

Raintree County
Around the World in 80 Days
Ryan's Daughter
John Paul Jones
Cheyenne Autumn

Western:

The Hanging Tree
Westbound
Pat Garret and Billy The Kind
Ride The High Country

Mitchum at RKO:

Macao
The Lusty Men
Angel Face

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Yes, they go Archive a lot these days but Raintree County could easily cost more than 10 times as much to preserve and to bring it to Blu-ray in the Warner way compared to The Big Sleep. Its production year and large format shoot combined with a roadshow version that has not been properly preserved make its release so costly and in the end not even that satisfactory.

Totally understand that, but I guess what I meant was that since they seem to be going the Archive route almost exclusive with their classics, it might preclude a release of Raintree since it will cost so much to restore. But even if it was a WHV release, would many bricks and mortar stores actually stock it? I wonder if there would even be an appreciable difference in sales for a hypothetical release of Raintree between a WHV release that's available in stores and a WAC release that's exclusively online? Interestingly, Best Buy is now carrying Warner Archive releases online (including The Big Sleep), so it seems as if Warner is trying to expand their Archive releases to more retailers.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Mildred Pierce
They Died With Their Boots On
Jezebel
Now Voyager
Idiot's Delight
San Francisco
Test Pilot
Too Hot To Handle
The Sea Hawk
The Dawn Patrol
Libeled Lady
Show Boat(1936)
Philadelphia Story
Shop Around The Corner

There are so many "A" films from the 30's and 40's that have not been released on blu ray. While Bogart apparently can still sell , Gable, Davis, Flynn, Tracy, Hepburn, Crawford, and Harlow seem not to and so their films are poorly represented on blu ray. I believe Mutiny On the Bounty (1935) got a release because of the good element that was found. Otherwise Gable would only have GWTW as his sole release.

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Who, I wonder, owns the rights to a neglected comic masterpiece, 'Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House'. I would have thought the pairing of Myrna Loy and Cary Grant would have made this very eligible for Blu ray .. a movie which gets more delicious with every viewing. I have an architect friend who has made it compulsory viewing for everyone who joins his practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks