What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archive Westerns question (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I don't own any of the western titles as I was happy with my recordings from Encore combined with 16mm transfers. But while watching Mr. Novak I noticed all of the bumpers in and out of commercial were left intact and I know that when Warner finally went back and remastered their one-hour shows around 15 years ago, they took all of the bumpers out, as in "And now back to Maverick". Are those left in on the DVDs or are they still eliminated?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I don't own any of the western titles as I was happy with my recordings from Encore combined with 16mm transfers. But while watching Mr. Novak I noticed all of the bumpers in and out of commercial were left intact and I know that when Warner finally went back and remastered their one-hour shows around 15 years ago, they took all of the bumpers out, as in "And now back to Maverick". Are those left in on the DVDs or are they still eliminated?
If I recall correctly , the bumpers were removed .

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that when they did remasters of their more popular old shows for Good Life TV in the early 2000s, the bumpers were all removed and those were what were used for the DVDs. Since Mr. Novak only had the old TNT one-inch transfers, they did new remasters for DVD and that's why those are still intact.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Wasn't the Goodlife stuff timesped.? My Goodlife GALLANT MEN episodes came in at 46 minutes, but in the WAC release the episodes were 50 minutes and they had the going to commercial Battle Ribbon bumper but not the soldier, (Robert Gothie), advancing, return from commercial bumper. The Goodlife episodes had the Battle Ribbon bumpers, only, too. They messed up the opening where after the story is set up, a flare would shoot up in the sky, and then when the first batch of commercials was over we would see the flare coming down via parachute. On the Goodlife and WAC episodes the flare bits are not there, if I remember correctly, with out checking. The soldier logo bumper is supposed to be in there too. The soldier bumper shows over the end credits.
title-card.png

sarafian-credit.png

Of course, THE GALLANT MEN was not a western.

I checked BRONCO Season One. The WAC release has the teasers and the WB shield comes up with the announcer saying , "From the entertainment capital of the world, produced, for television, by Warner Brothers". Then a single Bronco bumper shows and the episode starts. No other bumpers within the episode.

But at the end of every episode of Bronco S1, we get the scenes for next week for SUGARFOOT, Season 2, introduced on camera and narrated by Will Hutchins. That is a very nice extra. (Bronco and Sugarfoot rotated in the same time slot.)

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Thanks for posting the above notes re: Bronco, Bob! I was wracking my brains about what exactly that season 1 set included, since I had just watched two episodes from it over the past couple of weeks! (The memory, she fails me...) I clearly recalled those teasers for Sugarfoot and the opening WB announcement (think Cheyenne S1 and perhaps Maverick S1 has that as well), but couldn't recall any bumpers.

Do the Sugarfoot sets conclude with similar teasers for Bronco? Or maybe the teasers are for Cheyenne? I know this is not what Neil was asking about, but still, this kind of material is welcome.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Jeff, no scenes for next week for Bronco on the WAC Sugarfoot.

I not sure if anybody else goes along with this: But I use 'teaser' to refer to a sequence from the interior of an episode that plays at the front of that episode, before the opening credits or theme song. The teaser may not always be exactly as the scene appears in the actual episode. The WB teasers added dialog and sound effects (gunshots) to punch up the teasers sometimes. Now scenes for next week, appear at the end of an episode, and are really ads for next week's show. Some of them were two minutes long. But I guess they can be considered teasers, too, and even edited shorter and appear as the teaser shown in front when the episode plays the following week.

Now when an episode's story begins before the opening credits are shown, I call that a pre-credits sequence. The Gallant Men had their cast list and end theme at the end of the show, but the actual story would just begin between the proper bumpers. Only one GM episode had an original broadcast teaser, as I describe them, and that was dropped for the WAC release.

If Neil is only asking about the announcer bumpers at commercial breaks., "We will return to Maverick after these messages" and "Now back to Maverick", then I don't remember any, on the WAC releases. But the regular episode specific illustrated bumpers going to and coming back from commercials, I think there are some, but so far I have only checked Bronco S1.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
While on the subject of Warner Archives Westerns , anyone hear Anything about Colt 45. Last I heard , WBA was trying to clear up some minor clearance issues , and then the show would be released .Anyone know ?

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Still waiting for Temple Houston, if WAC ever gives it a DVD release, a rush job to get that series on the NBC Thursday night schedule in the fall of 1963 after Jack Webb sold it on such a short notice!!!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Unlike some recent WBA releases, like Mr. Novak and How the West Was Won, where they just threw their one-inch transfers on DVD, Temple Houston and Colt .45 have likely never been put on any tape format and would require transfers from the original elements. Extra work and higher costs could be a problem there.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Unlike some recent WBA releases, like Mr. Novak and How the West Was Won, where they just threw their one-inch transfers on DVD, Temple Houston and Colt .45 have likely never been put on any tape format and would require transfers from the original elements. Extra work and higher costs could be a problem there.

Slightly off topic, but Warner Archive only released the 3rd season of How the West Was Won (the first 2 were from the regular retail side). The 3rd season episodes were remastered and look tremendously better than the prior seasons’ release. I have all three seasons and the improvement is obvious.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Slightly off topic, but Warner Archive only released the 3rd season of How the West Was Won (the first 2 were from the regular retail side). The 3rd season episodes were remastered and look tremendously better than the prior seasons’ release. I have all three seasons and the improvement is obvious.

I didn't know that. I just know that when I was recently watching season two, there's a gigantic tape crease during the closing credits of one of the episodes.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Is that "bumpers" as in things like the title being against a scene from the show, with accompanying music?

Yup, often with very nice artwork representing the series and a specially composed bit of music. It's totally non-essential, but a wonderful piece of television history representing a way they used to present programs until fairly recently.

I have a bunch of 16mm film prints of shows like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, which include the network bumpers and sponsor billboards. Also including the "In Color" bits before the show begins. Really fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks