What's new

Warner detective and western shows question (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Do you miss the bumpers at all? When all of the series were remastered, they took them out. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, there was a little tag going into and out of every commercial. And now back to Hawaiian Eye, etc. I just remember when I was little being frightened of that totem they used on the bumpers! But I suppose there really isn't a need for them on the DVDs and for the over the air versions, it saves time without having to edit out content.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have mixed feelings on bumpers in general. They’re certainly cool to see the first time I encounter a new one. But they also can have a way of taking me out of the show cause it’s like getting the commercial break without the ad.

In a perfect world, I’d prefer the option of no bumpers and then the full night of broadcast option. But it’s not something I feel that strongly about in the end.

Probably bugs me more on the Twilight Zone blu-rays.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The Untouchables has most of the bumpers, at least on the first volume.
I don't really miss them if they're not there, but I'd like to have a couple episodes to have them so you can see them. On the Twin Peaks Gold Box set, that I know of, they have an extra that shows the bumpers they used, including a great Christmas one. I think Josh (above) is correct in his assessment that it does take you out of the show if you're watching them on a regular basis or bingeing episodes.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Do you miss the bumpers at all? When all of the series were remastered, they took them out. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, there was a little tag going into and out of every commercial. And now back to Hawaiian Eye, etc. I just remember when I was little being frightened of that totem they used on the bumpers! But I suppose there really isn't a need for them on the DVDs and for the over the air versions, it saves time without having to edit out content.

The only good bumpers were those of The Wild Wild West.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
77 Sunset Strip 2.jpg
77 Sunset Strip.jpg

Tom.W

Second Unit
I miss them on the Warner shows, but especially on the Fabulous Hitchcock Presents dvds. As opposed to taking me out of the episode, they actually add to the suspense of the scene. After all, they only last 20 0r 30 seconds. I've hung on to my old vhs tapes of AHP mainly for that reason but I'm not likely to watch them since they so inferior in PQ. There are a few episodes with bumpers in the Fabulous set, but few and far between.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Off the top of my head the only ones I absolutely know I'd miss if they were absent are the ones on Wild Wild West because of how cleverly they're integrated into the show. The others? If they're there I enjoy seeing them and they don't get in the way at all of my enjoyment of a show. If they're *not* there I'm unlikely to miss them and their absence doesn't get in the way at all of my enjoyment of a show.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm a big fan of bumpers. I don't consider The Wild Wild West artwork freeze fades to be "bumpers" in the classic sense because they are part of the feel of the series. Much like the "wave" on Hawaii-Five O. But Twilight Zone, The Untouchables, and the mid-episode stuff from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea are great/would be great to have. I don't feel they disrupt the flow of the show any more than the commercial breaks do. Often they have art and music not seen in years. Moonlighting, for example, had a great 5 second action theme which was not heard in the credits.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I'm a big fan of bumpers. I don't consider The Wild Wild West artwork freeze fades to be "bumpers" in the classic sense because they are part of the feel of the series. Much like the "wave" on Hawaii-Five O. But Twilight Zone, The Untouchables, and the mid-episode stuff from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea are great/would be great to have. I don't feel they disrupt the flow of the show any more than the commercial breaks do. Often they have art and music not seen in years. Moonlighting, for example, had a great 5 second action theme which was not heard in the credits.
Actual Wild Wild West bumper from the pilot (note comma in the title)

Attachments

• WWW-BUMPER.jpg
    WWW-BUMPER.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 56

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Yep, I miss them - They are as historically important as "next week" previews.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
They might be historically important, but they had bumpers to inform people that might have been switching channels back then to know what they're watching. They are not at all important to have now, although I appreciate examples of them, or an extra feature, on any release. Unless they somehow integrate into the show, like they definitely do on The Wild Wild West, they really don't need to be there. IMO, of course. Twin Peaks (the Gold Box edition anyway) has an extra of many bumpers used on the show.

I can't think of any series that includes the next week's previews on them, anyone? (Well, the 6th season of Laugh-In does--the only season that did that.) Speaking of, I had wished that the original Twin Peaks series did, because they did them in an unusual way, mostly with just still photographs and unusual sound effects. They were as interesting as the episodes were!

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I prefer the way NBC did it for the bonanza release. Certain episodes have the feature to show it with the bumper and a commercial from the initial run all of it remastered to the best quality possible. It's a neat thing but I prefer the shows too have a option.
Bronco first season had all the promos for sugarfoots seconds season on every episode at the end. I kinda wish they did it for all the seasons

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Its an interesting novelty as an option. Agree with those about Wild Wild West as an exception. For me the typical bumper is a minor distraction. What bothers me more are the previews at the beginning about the episode and/or previews at the end about next weeks episode. While I understand the historical significance, I never liked them then and see no purpose to them now other then to potential be a spoiler to what is to come. Sometimes, I've seen chapter stops to avoid the preview. However, they also sometimes skip over the shows intro theme, which I do want to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks