What's new

Let's Hear it for the companies that transferred their libraries (1 Viewer)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi all,

Looks like the light at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer and dimmer for a Ben Casey DVD release.
Its SO MUCH BETTER than the other newer crap thats been released… just don't understand.

John

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Hi all,

Looks like the light at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer and dimmer for a Ben Casey DVD release.
Its SO MUCH BETTER than the other newer crap thats been released… just don't understand.

John
I know what you mean. It is very discouraging to see some of these older shows with little hope of ever being released on video.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
CBS should have done transfers for all 4 seasons of The Defenders and if they had we might have seen all four seasons released individually or as a complete series. A missed opportunity.
Anyone for Mr. Garlund from 1960-61, starring Charles Quinlivan and Kam Tong, who took the season off from HGWT, except for two episodes. Didn't last all that long, not even the 13-episode minimum.

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

John
CBS shut down its Home Video division and let go most of the staff, including the person who worked on MOD releases.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Neil,

I was aware of the demise of the CBS Home Video Division, but was hoping the elements could be lent out to another entity for a DVD set.
CBS Home Video really dropped the ball here. Even unrestored, the initial DVD release looked presentable, (but not great) and was worth the money as it was also unedited. There still is a profitable audience out there, going the MOD route, but it is slowly fading out as time takes its toll.
I guess I’ll just go the “other route” to obtain this series, even though the video quality will be less than stellar. I’m tired of waiting and frustrated that lesser quality TV shows have been released.

John

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
If you could magically make HD copies of every show previously only available in SD, that’s not going to make them pull in more eyeballs than a hit show of today. History and culture have already selected which handful of shows from that era are evergreens; I don’t think that list is going to get substantially larger over time.

True, indeed. See how CBS/Paramount selected its best vintage series: Gunsmoke, Rawhide, The Twilight Zone, The Wild Wild West, The Fugitive, Star Trek, Mission: Impossible, Mannix, Hawaii Five-O, The Streets of San Francisco.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I recall seeing an episode of Biography on A&E on Lee Marvin, and there were sharp-looking clips from M Squad, but I'd guess the tape transfers of the entire series were destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I recall seeing an episode of Biography on A&E on Lee Marvin, and there were sharp-looking clips from M Squad, but I'd guess the tape transfers of the entire series were destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire!

Is this why Timeless' release is the way it is, for the most part?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The Timeless releases all came from 16mm prints contributed by collectors as I recall.

I don't ever recall "M Squad" being in rerun circulation in the 80s-90s when tape transfers off the 35mm would have been available.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Because SD (especially if mastered from an analog source) looks like crap on a UHD display.
Absolutely . I will not buy dvds if I don't have to , I hate streaming but I have found some shows like Sanford and Son that look and sound way better on Peacock then from my Sony dvds upconverted even with a Oppo darbee 103D with a Oled , The Peacock feed is still much better and those video taped shows look lousey to begin with .

Shows like Bonanza (that were shot on 35mm film) they gotta be crazy not to put on bluray , It would be a big seller . It's pretty much the best western tv show of all time . I know Gunsmoke is historic but Bonanza might be even more popular . So many shows filmed that are just sitting is such a shame that some fans won't be alive to see their favorite shows if these companies just don't care to release . I'm one that If i can't see it it its best form , I won't watch and move on to something else . Sony should be ashamed of the "I dream of jeannie" debacle . One of the all time best comedies with 2 iconic stars on a half ass bluray set . I can't even find the HD versions that IMDB released via Amazon Prime . What's up with that , Is there something coming out that we don't know about ? Will they write a wrong .....

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
So many shows filmed that are just sitting is such a shame that some fans won't be alive to see their favorite shows if these companies just don't care to release.
Gunsmoke is available streaming in HD. Bonanza will be soon, I would imagine. Rawhide has also started streaming in HD. If they choose not to release on physical media, then you either adjust your approach or go without.
I'm one that If i can't see it it its best form , I won't watch and move on to something else.
The streaming HD versions are much better than the DVD's and depending on screen size and viewing distance are likely indistinguishable from a blu-ray release. So, if only available streaming, then you won't be watching in its best form if you stick with the DVDs.

I was as much a physical media only individual for the longest time, but I decided on a hybrid approach, mainly because I want to watch classic TV in its best form. I honestly don't get why people shun streaming as an option when at times it has the best quality, and maybe the only way to view the highest quality. Have you even tried it for one of these classic show?

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
What really makes me scratch my head is why just let it sit. Even if you don't want to fit the bill on remastering the show why can't mods be available for interested buyers. Do I need the defenders in HD? No, but would I like it? Sure. I just hate the fact it's a all or nothing approach in general. I guess I'm lucky that maverick, Cheyenne ( and his partners in crime later), the dakotas, even gotna release at all. Especially the later by Warners.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
What really makes me scratch my head is why just let it sit. Even if you don't want to fit the bill on remastering the show why can't mods be available for interested buyers. Do I need the defenders in HD? No, but would I like it? Sure. I just hate the fact it's a all or nothing approach in general. I guess I'm lucky that maverick, Cheyenne ( and his partners in crime later), the dakotas, even gotna release at all. Especially the later by Warners.
Because, as David of "ClassicFlix" noted in another thread, even MODs have a cost. Even if there are existing tapes available from syndication they still have to be transferred to a digital form, and authoring and packaging has to be done. The question may not be whether it can make a small profit, but whether the studio thinks the amount of profit is even worth the time and effort. At least when it comes to streaming, they may be able to cut the cost some, but there are those here that won't accept that approach.

In the case of The Defenders, it has been said that there are no tape transfers because it wasn't syndicated. Shout! paid for season 1 to be transferred from film elements and we see it wasn't profitable enough to continue. And while MOD means less storage concerns by distributors it generally has a higher cost of purchase because they don't get the benefit of the discount for a mass produced run, which is why WB used to do both. if The Defenders was ever made available via streaming would you watch it that way or ignore it because it isn't physical media?

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I was as much a physical media only individual for the longest time, but I decided on a hybrid approach, mainly because I want to watch classic TV in its best form. I honestly don't get why people shun streaming as an option when at times it has the best quality, and maybe the only way to view the highest quality. Have you even tried it for one of these classic show?

I've done much the same, Brad. For a long, long time I insisted on physical media alone. But there have been too many great shows that have had substantial upgrades or at least been made available through streaming alone for me to ignore any longer. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face if you refuse.

The reason I think so many are resistant to the hybrid approach and stubbornly go with a physical media alone attitude has to do with the concept of ownership. When we buy dvds or blu-rays we literally own them for life (or at least the life of the disc). But people are much more skeptical of streaming because they feel like it can be pulled at any time and they no longer have access to it. At least that's always what I've heard from staunch physical media only proponents.

Gary "I'm still mostly a physical media buyer, but I will go with streaming when that's the only option" O.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
When we buy dvds or blu-rays we literally own them for life (or at least the life of the disc). But people are much more skeptical of streaming because they feel like it can be pulled at any time and they no longer have access to it. At least that's always what I've heard from staunch physical media only proponents.
I can understand that, TV series moving from one streaming service to another can be a difficulty. However, for those that actually buy the digital content the biggest problem I can see is the requirement of an internet connection to watch. If you compare the number of people that have actually lost digital content because it was pulled, it probably wouldn't be any different than a thread on physical disk media going bad. Both seem to be minimal occurrences in the long run. Of disks I've had that have gone bad, most are now out of print anyway and if available still, go for more that I can justify. I just have to wonder if individual principle or not wanting to change has more to do with it for some. In any case, I'm enjoying both and have no regrets.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
If The Defenders was ever made available via streaming would you watch it that way or ignore it because it isn't physical media?
Having the content available is better than nothing. Hundreds of hrs of content just rotting away. It's the I want my cake and eat it to ideology that may have even stopped some of these shows from being shelled out because people want them not only in tact but pristine in quality. I liked the show lancer and it came on H&I ( edited and a mixed bag in quality) but I got every episode and it was better than the 80s tape recordings I got from a friend many years ago. I guess I'm frustrated because of the fact many of these shows can't even be obtained in any form.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It's the I want my cake and eat it to ideology that may have even stopped some of these shows from being shelled out because people want them not only in tact but pristine in quality.
Yes, and add in the "I won't buy until the entire series has been released" or "until it has been discounted" mentality. I'm not picking on any one we all have our decision points, but it also has an impact on what they decide to release or stall/stop.
I liked the show lancer and it came on H&I ( edited and a mixed bag in quality) but I got every episode and it was better than the 80s tape recordings I got from a friend many years ago. I guess I'm frustrated because of the fact many of these shows can't even be obtained in any form.
I'm old enough to recall many of the classic shows I have access to in either the original run or syndication and have discovered a great many I had previously never heard of before. I'm taking the approach that I likely won't manage to get through all I've collected, and if I do, I'll have the satisfaction of rewatching some favorites. Who knows, somewhere done the road there might be a resurgence of the past and some forgotten properties become accessible again, and it will be a welcome surprise, but it just isn't worth it to me to worry about what isn't available when there is so much that is available to enjoy.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Who knows, somewhere done the road there might be a resurgence of the past and some forgotten properties become accessible again, and it will be a welcome surprise, but it just isn't worth it to me to worry about what isn't available when there is so much that is available to enjoy.
Very true. Really a shame in some cases because the issues in some of those series are still happening today. Saw a episode of east side west side in great quality on youtube with guest star Joseph Campanella dealing with race relations in his segregated neighborhood. The one thing many of the comments talked about wasn't the dated nature of the show but simply the issues at hand. There's a market for some of these shows it's just nobody in creative is creative enough or care enough to present these shows even on television stations today, but hey I get bonanza in a few weeks. That's months of tv right there.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I can understand that, TV series moving from one streaming service to another can be a difficulty.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that such a position as I described above is a reasonable one from my point of view. I'm with you that I think having access to something, even if it's only streaming, is better than not having access in any form. But some people are sticklers on the issue of having a physical copy.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
My number 1 priority is best video quality/uncut.So for example I bought the HD versions of The Courtship of Eddies Father- 3 seasons on Amazon with Bill Bixby rather than the dvd release.I did the same with 'Chips',The West Wing' and the mid 1980s minseries 'North and South'. So I prefer it to be on blu ray but if not streaming is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks