What's new

Warner Archive Announces “Superman: The Movie” Extended Cut (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I swear the Rosenthal commentary on IV is the closest thing we'll ever get to an official rifftrax on a film. He's clearly not happy to be there and let's the film know it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Do these Warner Archive titles ever come down in price? $21.99 seems a bit steep to me given that the current release of the special edition cut is available for $8.99.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
This is one bluray I'm happily going to pay full price upon release. I've been waiting for a widescreen transfer of the longer version for quite some time.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
This is awesome news, for a variety of reasons - one being, it opens the doors of possibility that more long-unavailable alternate/ extended cuts might finally see light of day again - and not just the Reeve/ Superman movies or Warner movies in general. There are, ofcourse, numerous theatrical films that have run on TV in alternate and sometimes greatly-expanded versions.

To name a few:

"The Deep" (1977) - shown on Tv as much-expanded miniseries.

"The Godfather Saga" (AKA The Godfather: The Complete Novel for Television) - chronological version, with additional scenes not in theatrical versions, of first two Godfather films. Last aired (in HD) on HBO in 2016. Released on VHS and Beta in the 80s.

"The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980" - chronological version, with additional scenes not in theatrical versions, of all three Godfather films. Released on VHS and laserdisc in 1992.

"Jaws" - extended ABC-TV version (first aired 1978, last aired for 25th anniversary in 2000)

"Blazing Saddles" - alternate versions of scenes (to replace racy dialogue etc.), several extra scenes not in theatrical version.

As for Reeve/ Superman, it would be really nice to see the extended versions of 'Superman III" and "Superman IV: Quest for Peace" (which, among other things, ads a romantic subplot and a second [actually first] Nuclear Man).

Another example: MacArthur on TV had extra footage of a subplot involving his treatment of Gen. Yamashita, played by James Shigeta.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I swear the Rosenthal commentary on IV is the closest thing we'll ever get to an official rifftrax on a film. He's clearly not happy to be there and let's the film know it.

I've only listened to it once, on a dark Saturday night with a bowl of popcorn in my lap. I remember being highly amused by it, but I couldn't pick out any specific details at this point. Maybe I need to revisit it just for the "haha" factor.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
I have been reading conflicting reports on the aspect radio on the extended cut. I just hope it is in widescreen.

Anyway one week to go!!! And I am sure we will have some online reviews before then.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The IV commentary kicks into full gear the moment we see the dodgy main titles appear, and Rosenthal greets us by stating the obvious: that something is very wrong here. An honest, enjoyable listen.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
This is great news! I first saw SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (sorry, that's how I've always know it!) when it came out in 1978, and was lucky enough to see the TV version soon after.

I'll be placing my order today with Amazon. Hopefully this leads to the TV versions of the other Reeve Superman films being released, along with a host of other films that have these versions (some already being mentioned by others).

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I remember 2 night Airport 77 extended very well.
What I remember: It had scenes of Jack Lemmon going through a pilot training simulation in a hanger, a lot more scenes of the high jackers planning and carrying out their plan. More scenes of what their plan entailed after they got the plane. A lot more of Jack Lemmons relationship with the stewardess before the plan took off.
King Kong 76 and Midway also had 2 night extended versions. King Kong had some good extra scenes of Kong causing havoc in the city before climbing the world trade center. And a lot more before the Island and on the Island.
Earthquake did have one. The motorcycle stunt team story was much more fleshed out as well as the military soldier gone crazy.

A release with both edits of the DeLaurentiis' King Kong would be high on my personal wishlist, but I won't hold my breath. Last year was the 40th anniversary, and this year saw the release of the newest Kong movie; I figure if it was ever going to happen, it probably would've happened by now.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I remember when SUPERMAN came out, they blew it up to 70mm at a theater in Pasadena, along with ALIEN, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS AND JAWS.

The radio stations out here in So Cal played the theme music all the time. It's the only time that I remember that that was ever done.

The extended scenes were all over the sci-fi mags at the time and when it came on TV, it was neat seeing them other than on the printed page.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have a very strong memory of being six years old and my Dad taking my brother and me to see it at the Blue Prince Cinemas near Princeton, WV. It was a clear night and the whole way home, I just stared up at the stars and dreamed about flying. The newest cinematic Superman would never have that kind of profound effect on a child. To me, it's the perfect superhero film. I miss the Big Blue Boy Scout.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I have a very strong memory of being six years old and my Dad taking my brother and me to see it at the Blue Prince Cinemas near Princeton, WV. It was a clear night and the whole way home, I just stared up at the stars and dreamed about flying. The newest cinematic Superman would never have that kind of profound effect on a child. To me, it's the perfect superhero film. I miss the Big Blue Boy Scout.

I could not agree more. I was 13 at the time, and I walked out of that theater feeling like I could fly. The new versions are interesting but do not give me that feeling of joy I had back in 1978 - and still get when I re-watch this wonderful movie.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Christmas 1978 is firmly etched in my memory for two reasons:
1. Seeing Superman: The Movie on the largest screen in town [the Paramount in Lethbridge, AB]; and
2. Magic: the creepy ventriloquist dummy film starring Anthony Hopkins and adapted by William Goldman from his novel of the same name. Many may remember the TV ads using the dummy, which scared the daylights out of me as a 7-year old. It didn't help that I had to walk past the poster to see Superman, because Magic was playing on the smaller screen at the Paramount, which was really the only thing that marred the experience. I still feel a twinge every time I see that damn poster.
Superman, on the other hand, was fantastic, and still seen by me as the template for all future comic book origin story movies.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Christmas 1978 is firmly etched in my memory for two reasons:
1. Seeing Superman: The Movie on the largest screen in town [the Paramount in Lethbridge, AB]; and
2. Magic: the creepy ventriloquist dummy film starring Anthony Hopkins and adapted by William Goldman from his novel of the same name. Many may remember the TV ads using the dummy, which scared the daylights out of me as a 7-year old. It didn't help that I had to walk past the poster to see Superman, because Magic was playing on the smaller screen at the Paramount, which was really the only thing that marred the experience. I still feel a twinge every time I see that damn poster.
Superman, on the other hand, was fantastic, and still seen by me as the template for all future comic book origin story movies.
Candice Bergen had almost the same issue with Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd hanging in the garage ...

bergen-and-mccarthy-otrcat.com.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks