What's new

Warner Archive Announces “Superman: The Movie” Extended Cut (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but Jor-El says (in the fortress) "by now I will have been dead thousands of your years" - and Kal-El isn't that old, so...I'm sticking with relativity.

That line never made sense to me. I just interpret it as "....by that reckoning, I will have been dead for many thousand of your [native kryptonian] years".

Another inconsistency is that Krypton would have to be pretty close to earth (I assume) for Kryptonian meteorites to reach Earth.

absolute bollocks as we say here in Connecticut

I am a fellow nutmegger, but I refer to it as horsepucky!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm a Fairfield County guy myself, but now you'll see and hear that term everywhere.
You'll hear bollocks used in just about UK film set in the last 30 years or so ...
It's
R-1669689-1319059520.jpeg.jpg

also the title of an album ...

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Amazon has dropped the pricing of this release down to $17.99!

I have an Amazon order in the mail, which includes this Blu ray. I paid $21.99. I immediately contacted customer service, but there was no shifting them. They would not reduce the price even though they have done this before and I have not received it yet. Their suggestion is that I re-order at the new price and send the first one back for a refund! What a fallderal! (sp?)

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Amazon has dropped the pricing of this release down to $17.99!

Shocker! Again screwing the pre order crowd. I've complained a few times already about this and in those cases I did get a credit on my next order. I'll do It again and make it clear that I'll be done with preordering if this continues to be their practice.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Just called them. They said that on a preorder (which this was) if the price drops within 30 days you automatically get credited for the difference. She said I’d see the credit within 5 days.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Certainly that;s against policy so they have a written zero day price guarantee

OTOH -- ordering/buying from Amazon for Day 1 at full list price knowing they have no post release day price guarantee and then complaining that prices dropped and there's no price guarantee seems a bit disingenuous

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
“Sorry, I'm losing track here. Amazon said this?”

Yes. First did a chat with them, then they phoned me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Unless that policy changed during your discussion that has not been policy for a long time if ever.

In the past it was ifbit dropped before it shipped it was automatically adjusted.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Certainly that;s against policy so they have a written zero day price guarantee

OTOH -- ordering/buying from Amazon for Day 1 at full list price knowing they have no post release day price guarantee and then complaining that prices dropped and there's no price guarantee seems a bit disingenuous
This was my first thought. You can’t complain about a price on something you bought that long ago. Prices always fluctuate without being predictable

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Unless that policy changed during your discussion that has not been policy for a long time if ever.

In the past it was dropped before it shipped it was automatically adjusted.

I do remember it being up to 30 days then eventually a softer 7-14 days at CSR discretion, but when other sites started more aggressively competing with Amazon, they changed the policy to 7 days post purchase, then at least until official delivery, now it's officially the order date (excepting preorders which have their own policy of the end of release day). CSR have some leeway depending on how many exceptions you've requested, personal differences, and likely how good of a customer you've been in the past (($$$ with few complaints/returns/PRIME). They used to Price Match, then at least they had a Price Match request (Show us a better price), now apparently most items don't even have a Price Match Begging box

Amazon has it's advantages though for me these have dwindled to pretty minimal. Low price guarantee and free/no fault returns are not in their wheelhouse though I understand there is something called a LOCKER Systme for delivery/returns that some places have. I checked and the closet LOCKER to me is 60 miles one way.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I do remember it being up to 30 days then eventually a softer 7-14 days at CSR discretion, but when other sites started more aggressively competing with Amazon, they changed the policy to 7 days post purchase, then at least until official delivery, now it's officially the order date (excepting preorders which have their own policy of the end of release day). CSR have some leeway depending on how many exceptions you've requested, personal differences, and likely how good of a customer you've been in the past (($$$ with few complaints/returns/PRIME). They used to Price Match, then at least they touch Price Match request, now apparently most items don't even have a Price Match Begging box

Amazon has it's advantages though for me these have dwindled to pretty minimal. Low price guarantee and free/no fault returns are not in their wheelhouse though I understand there is something called a LOCKER Systme for delivery/returns that some places have. I checked and the closet LOCKER to me is 60 miles one way.
Amazon is also partnering with Kohls Department stores In a Pilot program in Los Angeles & Chicago for returns ...
https://corporate.kohls.com/news/ar...nounces-amazon-returns-at-select-kohls-stores

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Amazon used to give their CSA's a lot more leeway. Sadly, there were people who would take advantage of certain situations and abuse the system. When that happens on a large scale basis, policies get tighter. Sometimes complaining will get you an exception, but sometimes not. It really depends upon the situation. There are variables that CSA's and leadership look at when deciding to make exceptions. Just remember, if a CSA tells you there isn't anything they can do, they are, more than likely, doing what they are told is policy. Because these CSA's jobs are based almost entirely on the answer to the "Did I solve your problem?" that either comes at the end of the emails you're sent after calls or pops up on your screen if you are contacting them via the Internet, some unscrupulous Associates will promise you the moon, meaning they either lie to you in the hopes that you'll click "yes" on the dreaded question before you discover your problem wasn't actually solved, or they'll throw promotional credit at you and code it as something else in the hopes it doesn't get noticed that they gave away a concession for something that is against policy. It happens all the time and, unfortunately, only ends up punishing the folks who are trying to follow the rules that they have been given. That's the reason for all of the inconsistency when customers contact Amazon.

(I used to be in leadership in Customer Service. Just because they're litigious as crap, I feel the need to say that I no longer work for them, don't speak for them, and don't have any current information about their practices. Things may have changed.)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Back to Superman.
I am about 1/2 way through the extended cut. When I first saw this movie in the theatre, I remember how delighted I was with Christopher Reeve in the part and how awful I thought Margot Kidder was. My views have not changed.

Her portrayal of a ditzy twit Lois Lane is just awful and gets worse by the decade. Why in the world did they cast her, and how could Superman possibly be attracted to her?

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
Ironically this release has some of the best PQ of the three versions on Blu-ray and doesn't suffer from the same degree of teal infusion that happened on all the newer masters made for the Superman boxset. (I theatrical, II theatrical, III and IV all suffer from this-and it is not the moments in SFX where the suit changes color but across the board.)

However there has been no reissue of the best sounding mix which is only on the letterboxed US Laserdisc. I don't know the origin of this, but it sounds wonderful and has a nice spreading of the sound through the matrixing-FAR better than the almost tinny and flat sounding original Dolby mix which sounds just as wimpy on the theatrical Blu-ray as it did in the arthouse screening I saw a few years ago. The original Dolby has almost no surround at all. Plus the LD audio remains the only version which goes from mono to full stereo surround in the opening title transition. This is one of the most dramatic uses of sound I've ever encountered-much like the opening of The Road Warrior that goes from the opening prologue to the full stereo roar of Max's turbocharger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks