What's new

Warner Archive Announces “Superman: The Movie” Extended Cut (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yeah the guy at the desk doesn't notice a guy slowly and NOT silently climbing up his window with suction cups but DOES notice the same guy falling at 40mph down in a split second.

stan heck11

Auditioning
Real Name
stan
You can nit pick any movie. It i still a very good movie. I can pick to death "Top Gun" but I don't. Even watching that film today I always wish someone would shoot them all down.

stan heck11

Auditioning
Real Name
stan
Actually, this version is the ORIGINAL edit of the film, and was completely scored by Williams, and then subsequently edited down to its theatrical running-time by the Salkinds (butchering a great deal of Williams's score in the process).

Which is why, for years afterward, the soundtrack album contained seemingly-new musical cues, but these were actually from what became the ABC TV version of the film. What we're getting here is the score almost exactly as John Williams intended us to hear it.

This was basically the 1st cut of the film. This version has scenes that Donner Liked and he then edited down from this version. Not knowing what was going to be "KEPT" this entire version was scored, There is still footage that has never been included or shown to the public.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't think anyone will argue that the TV cut is superior to all others. That's why it isn't being touted as such. It's just a unique cut of the film that many people remember from their childhood and that a certain number of fans will be glad to have in good quality. It's a niche release and I'm grateful that Warner Archive is releasing it. Mine should arrive today. I'm anxious to see it.

I agree with you. Objectively, the 3-hour cut is a bit of a snoozer - even the theatrical cut tended to be slow, so a 40+-minute longer version isn't like to work better.

But it's very cool to see, and I tip my hat to WB for their willingness to release it - especially since they put actual work into it!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure I'm not the first person to comment on this, but the casting in the "young Lois" scene bugs me. In that one, Clark is supposed to be 17 or so, and Lois looks like she's 9 or 10.

When we meet adult versions, though, they're clearly supposed to be about the same age. Even if not exactly the same age, obviously Lois isn't 7 or 8 years younger than Clark.

In reality, Kidder was 4 years older than Reeve.

Not clear how old the actor who played young Lois was - I can't find a credit for the girl who played her - but it's still clear she's substantially younger than Jeff East.

Are we supposed to believe Kidder's Lois is like 21 years old???

stan heck11

Auditioning
Real Name
stan
Again nit picking
I'm sure I'm not the first person to comment on this, but the casting in the "young Lois" scene bugs me. In that one, Clark is supposed to be 17 or so, and Lois looks like she's 9 or 10.

When we meet adult versions, though, they're clearly supposed to be about the same age. Even if not exactly the same age, obviously Lois isn't 7 or 8 years younger than Clark.

Not clear how old the actor who played young Lois was - I can't find a credit for the girl who played her - but it's still clear she's substantially younger than Jeff East.

Again nit picking.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
This was basically the 1st cut of the film. This version has scenes that Donner Liked and he then edited down from this version. Not knowing what was going to be "KEPT" this entire version was scored, There is still footage that has never been included or shown to the public.

Incorrect. This was already debunked earlier in the thread.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sort of watched this Blu-ray earlier today.

I say that because I mostly scanned through it to get to the new scenes. I have seen Superman dozens of times to the point where I know it by heart.

Watched the 3-hour film in about an hour.

It was interesting to see the new/extended scenes. Overall, I wasn't really impressed by them. They certainly did not add to the film. It is a good thing, however, Warner released this disc. It's more of a curiosity piece than movie entertainment. I am happy I purchased it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Colin,

Caught that too. It seemed odd to me as well.

Question....

Is that the original TV Lois Lane who played her mother? Was a shortened sequence featuring that actress on the train included in the theatrical version? I would like to think that cameo made it to the final cut.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Also the dad is none other than Kirk Alyn, the only other living Superman actor at the time, himself. And no, the bit inside the train where the girl is identified as Lois was indeed cut from the theatrical (against Donner's wishes from the sound of things on the audio commentary).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the age difference between the young Lois and Clark was why the scene was cut. I believe all that was left of the scene in the theatrical version was a young girl looking out the window and seeing Clark run by. She was not identified as Lois and you did not see her parents.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Perhaps the age difference between the young Lois and Clark was why the scene was cut. I believe all that was left of the scene in the theatrical version was a young girl looking out the window and seeing Clark run by. She was not identified as Lois and you did not see her parents.

Didn't her mother say "Lois" in that piece of film? I swear I've seen it in the movie and I haven't watched Superman in forever.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Didn't her mother say "Lois" in that piece of film? I swear I've seen it in the movie and I haven't watched Superman in forever.

It's also in the "special edition" director's cut first released to DVD in 2000, and then later on in BD.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the age difference between the young Lois and Clark was why the scene was cut.

Perhaps, but then why cast a too-young kid in the first place?

I think they probably realized the girl was too young to be Lois but they didn't care - they figured only a handful of nerds would notice/care and most people would be amused at the reference.

I don't think the scene works with a more "age-appropriate" Lois. Make her 16 or 17 and it's not as cute as it is with young Lois.

But it's still a distraction to the nerd in me! :D

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There are so many different cuts of the film. The original 1978 version while available on home video is becoming the rarest cut. It's only on blu ray in the Superman box set. Surprised that it wasn't the second version on this set as the special edition is much more readily available. My comment was based on memory as I haven't seen the original version in many years. If the mother said "Lois" in the 1978 version it is something I missed and as a fan, who loves that sort of thing, shame on me.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There are so many different cuts of the film. The original 1978 version while available on home video is becoming the rarest cut. It's only on blu ray in the Superman box set. Surprised that it wasn't the second version on this set as the special edition is much more readily available. My comment was based on memory as I haven't seen the original version in many years. If the mother said "Lois" in the 1978 version it is something I missed and as a fan, who loves that sort of thing, shame on me.

I really would've loved this to be a 3-disc package with Extended, SE and theatrical all in one place. Would've been perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks