What's new

Video / Speaker Sugestions? (1 Viewer)

Jason J G

Agent
Brand new to this forum, read through many posts, thought it may be easier to shorten my journey this way.

I was hoping that someone out there has a similar setup to me and could offer sugestions.

I had purchased a Yamaha YSP-1000, that was 2 weeks ago, it was an amazing product that truely will blow your mind when you hear it in the proper seting. Although, when I installed it in my situation, it was stellar on the left side of the room, but had a massive dead spot on the right where there was nothing to reflect off of.

The next day, I returned to the home theater/audiophile store, and exchanged the unit (with some additional $$$ outlayed) for a Yamaha RX-V4600 receiver, and a Yamaha DVD-S2500 DVD player. I am completely stunned at the new look of the video, and sound compared to my last products.

I'm now hooked,and realize that to fully take advantage of my new situation I will need to address my center, fronts, and surround speakers. Video upgrade will also be food for thought, I am currently using a 3 year old JVC 36" tube television, which has new life since the new DVD player has been addded.

What I am looking for is some suggestions, for video display and speakers, from those who may have a similar setup?

Also, what difference have any of you noticed going from component video to HDMI, especially on an LCD projection situation?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll respond this weekend.

I just purchased LCD FP and I am replacinmg a 60" CRT RP in my living room. I may not have my DVI/HDMI stuff hooked up this weekend though.

Do you have a budget for the speakers? Does your budget include a sub?

Jason J G

Agent
Budget, I haven't thought too much about. I would say less than 10K more than 2K.

No, I don't require a sub. I purchased a 12" 1200 watt sub last year(Mirage I think?), and it is greatly overpowering. Even has a huge impact at minimum gain, and crossover at 60hz! It was something I purchsed in hoping that it would not require a replacement anytime soon.

The system is a 5.1 (for now!!), just need to upgrade the center, fronts and surrounds.

The room is for theater use almost exclusively, about 2600 cubic feet, fully insulated, and only has a single entry point.

Yeah, that would be great please do let me know how it all turns out, I'm very interested.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jason, since you're asking about speaker systems, I've moved your thread here to Speakers/Subs. As for a new display, please ask that question in the Display Devices area. Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
There are lots of brands out there in your price range. Audition as many as you can. B&W, Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm, etc . . . and then you've got the internet direct brands as well.

Have you calibrated your current system? If not, start there to get as much out of it as you can. All you need is an SPL meter and an Avia DVD which together will run you about $80.

John S

Senior HTF Member
No kidding.. that is some good budget just speakers.

I'd be inlcined to get some ML's in there somehow.
I'm not really qualified for new products in your price range. Im in over my head here.

Start talking $10K upper, and Magnapans and Martin Logans start looking affordable to me though. :)

Jason J G

Agent
Well there is a slight difference in USD to CAD, I live in Calgary Alberta Canada. So when I say "about" 2K-10K that's 1600-8500ish USD. Although I don't know if I could even get anything for $1600.00? I've looked at the Magnapans, WOW! They are in stock at the shop I purchased my receiver and DVD player, gorgeous, but, that type of effort would run closer to 20K CAD............. I would then have to explain it to my wife, and as you guy's know, it's much cheaper to keep her happy!

John S

Senior HTF Member
In Canada, I'd look at Paradigm.....

excellent built in Canada products and worth every penny from the few models I have been able to audition over the pats few years. You can't go wrong, you get a ton of value with the products in general.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
2600 cubic feet sounds like a very, very large and opened room. How is the room set up?, rectangle, square, cornered??

Jason J G

Agent
The room is a rectangle, with a triangle at one end. It's positioned width wise, intsted of length wise. The entry is placed to the rear/left corner of the room. The subwoofer is in the corner of the triangle walls to the right.

Surprisingly, the room is quite well balanced acoustically; Just not using the Yamaha YSP-1000. The Subwoofer being placed as it is, works like a "bass cannon", I'll try to post a drawing/layout this weekend.

Jason J G

Agent
John, thanks for the advice. There are two recognized dealers for Paradigm in Calgary, I'll try to get away at some point this afternoon to take a look. They're both downtown, actually only 8 blocks or so apart. I assume pricing between them should be similar based on distance from each other?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Price should be close. I think you will be tickled with the level of Paradigm in your price ranges.

Jason J G

Agent
Thanks for the input...........

I was able to get away and sample some Paradigm speakers, yeah, they're quite sweet.

I thought just for a comparisson, I would try some other speakers too.

I went and listened to Energy Reference Connoisseurs, the "flagship" RC-70's I was impressed with, but, I felt that the Paradigms were a better value for the dollar. The Energy speakers also seemed to miss something, there was more fullness to the Paradigms

Saturday, my wife and I went to the shop that I purchsed my reciever and DVD player from. I explained what I wanted, told them a maximum price point, and let them know where and what else I've listened to.

We were introduced to Definitive Technology, seeing that I already had a sub, the Mythos line was recomended. I truely didn't know what to expect. They seemed so small. When we previewed the Mythos One's we were sold, they had solid low responce, and peircing high frequency capabilities. They seemed so cover a very wide spectrum, even being so small. We ended up going with the Mythos One's (front L/R), Mythos Two's (surrounds), and Mythos Three (center). The only problem............ They were out of stock on the silver/aluminum version, still have to wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks