What's new

Subwoofer driver size: Is there a noticeable difference between 8" and 12" driver? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Interesting thread! I’m actually quite interested in what George Holland posted about building a sub myself. I have the hand skills and tools. So that cabinet is not a problem. It’s selecting the right drivers and amplification and determining the cabinet size. This is a project I hope to do some time soon. Should be fun! So some research should be done.
There is excellent software for sub design. I’m sure George can direct you.

Koschei

Agent
Real Name
Michael
I will say if it's the Klipsch R-12SW or R-12SWI, its worth the extra cost to get the R-100SW or R-120SW. The newer R-100/120SW subs are more accurate with less high bass emphasis and have a much better cabinet laminate. The R-12SW scratch way to easy, just by looking at it! I had the R-12SWi from Costco and returned it.

Another I would consider is the RSL Speedwoofer for $450. It's sold out though. It seems this sub is rarely in stock. Makes sense by it's performance and price. Measurements look better across the entire frequency range than many subs costing 2X it's cost. It has really good low frequency extension to below my hearing at least. It was never in stock so I bought the Klipsch. It has gotten great reviews but is almost 2X your budget though.

The sub I chose is the Klipsch Synergy Black Label Sub-120 12”.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
The sub I chose is the Klipsch Synergy Black Label Sub-120 12”.
I believe that's the same sub as the R-12SW except it has a the better vinyl laminate on the cabinet. It has the same 12" driver as the R-12SW. Being so, for an extra $45, I feel you're getting a better subwoofer in the R-120SW. This has a new 12" driver that is darker with a textured ridged surface.

Good luck in whatever you decide to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks