What's new

Video Cables (RCA vs S-Video) (1 Viewer)

Tony DL

Auditioning
I have a Home Theater system in my house. I thought I had every thing hooked up correct, until I read a response from earlier today (from another members post). I am not sure if I understood if I have my system hooked up correctly. I have a digital receiver that has one video (RCA) output and one S-Video output. My TV has one input for (RCA) and one S-Video input.

Now- I have seveal inputs on the receiver for RCA and S-Video connections. I have my S-Video cables hooked up to the Receiver when I have the ability to use them. But the VCR does not have the ability to use the S-Video cable so I have run the RCA cords to the receiver and connected them to the RCA input. So now, I have a RCA cable running to the TV as well as the S-Video (one each from the outputs on the receiver). Does this create a problem? Every thing has been working well (or I thought). From the corospondance that I read earlier, I am confused if I am getting the best picture quality.

Thanks,
Tony

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You did everything right. Everything you described should give you the optimal video quality.

SVideo does give you a superior picture. As long as your source offers a SVideo output, you are getting the best possible picture.

For the low-quality source (the VCR) the best you got is Composite (that's what that yellow RCA jack is called: Composite).

But your receiver will not convert one to the other. So you have to run both types into the receiver, and one each (SVideo & Composite) out to the TV.

There is a small $20 Composite to SVideo adaptor you can buy at Radio Shack to make your VCR look like a SVideo source. Some people use this so the TV only ever sees the SVideo feed from the receiver This makes the system easier to use.

But: the video quality suffers with this little adaptor. In many systems, this is fine as DVD's become dominate. And the kids- they dont care if Vegi Tales looks a little off.

Does this help?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Tony,
As was said in the other post (I assume you meant this one)-- there are a couple ways to go about wiring everything when faced with your situation. I outlined five possibilities, and there are actually a couple others...
I would say, aside from buying a nicer VHS machine with Svideo output- your solution is top notch. You get the best connection for all your devices-- and while it isn't as elegant as it could be- it is likely the best solution in terms of quality.
Another option similar to yours would be:
Routing everything that has svideo to the receiver and then routing svideo from the receiver to the TV. Then for the VCR, send the audio to the receiver- but route the composite video directly to the TV.
If you only have one composite source (the VCR), there is really no need to send it to the receiver and then onto the TV... with only one you don't get any real benefits from video switching. If you have multiple compsoite sources, obviously then using the receiver makes sense...
This config will also require toggling the TV input from Svideo to composite to watch the vcr-- but I assume you have to do that using your system as well.
-V

Wayne Clark

Agent
Tony, have you tried viewing a tape from your VCR since you set the system up? If you only have on RCA (yellow composite) and one S-Video jack on the back of your TV, I think they might be associated with the same line in. If your TV is smart enough to find the signal that is great. My Sony would not. When I hooked up the S-video connection, the TV then ignored the composite hook up, even though that is were the signal was coming from. I need to go with one of Vince's other suggestions. Just something to check on before you need it. Wayne.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks