What's new

converting one video type to another and 5.1 vs 7.1 (1 Viewer)

Howie.K

Auditioning
Two pretty basic questions (hopefully I can explain it correctly)

Just purchased an Onkyo SR503 Receiver.

1st question – I understand that I need to keep all video types equal (all S Video, RCA, Component), but can I keep them the same within the same “component loop/circuit”, but different for each separate component.

Meaning – DVD video to Receiver to TV all through component hook ups, VCR to Receiver to TV all through RCA, then cable box to receiver to TV through RCA as well?
I was thinking that I could use “video 1” for the VCR (RCA video in) and “video 2” for the cable box (RCA video in) and then use an RCA out to the tv from the receiver.

Since the DVD and VCR/Cable are running through separate “loops” I should be all set, right?

Other thoughts/suggestions?

2nd question – The SR503 is 7.1. What will I get when I hook this up to my 5.1 speakers? I read somewhere that the rear surround speakers will be in mono/ no true distinction between left and right. Is that accurate? If so, is there any way around it to get a true surround sound for the rears?

*** This site is fantastic! Already came up with some good ideas and answers to my questions from poking around the forum.

Thanks

Howie

John S

Senior HTF Member
1. You should be OK, when I install I hookup one of every type of video output to the display the AVR offers.

Usually 1 component connection, 1 svideo connection, and 1 composite connection. This is changing now that more quaility upconversions are available in AVR's these days.

2. Any 7.1 AVR is also 6.1 or 5.1 as well. It does this by what speakers are defined as hooked up / in use.

Howie.K

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply and info John.
I'll be hooking it all up next week and feel a little better about things now.

Another quick question, and I know the first answer will most likely be "just buy a powered sub" but...

I currently have a passive sub woofer running on the system. I'm not in a position to pick up a new sub right now (even though at $80 the Sony 8" looks to good to pass up).

I have the passive running from the speaker wires coming out of the receivers front L/R, then back out to the speakers from the sub.

? - I read that I can also run the sub speaker wire from the receivers "a" speaker output. Any idea which way would give me better results?

If I have time I'll experiment with both, but I was just curious about what you would think.

Thanks again.

Howie

John S

Senior HTF Member
I can't condone it. Different AVR's work their A/B front setups differently. You need to put the .1 into your system. Got any old audio equipment around? The LFE/Sub out is alreayd crossed if you could just get some power amp-age to that passive sub you know it would become in effect a powered sub.

Parts express has a $99 12" Advent sub right now with free shipping. Bite the bullet. :)

Howie.K

Auditioning
John,

I do have some old audio equipment.

My new Onkyo is replacing an old Onkyo that has "cutting edge 4 channel surround matrix" from about 15 years ago. It is run in congunction with a seperate surround processor (the center channel and rear speakers run through the surround processor, front speakers and sub through the Onkyo).

I also have an older Sony AVR.

So how would I use one of these to improve on the sub?

Yes, I will eventually get the powered sub.

Thanks again

John S

Senior HTF Member
LFE / Sub out, to a line in on the old sony, then speaker out of that to the driver on the passive sub. Not ideal, but better than any passive sub solution you may try.

Howie.K

Auditioning
John,

Thanks for the additional information.

Thinking that I'll just leave it as is (continue to use the passive sub), and just upgrade to a new powered sub down the road.

Although if I'm on a role and have it all out anyway, I may give it a try running through the old amp.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks