Component vs S-Video

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by LexusN, Jan 13, 2004.

1. LexusN

LexusN Agent

I'm looking to upgrade my current RCA cables (R,W,Y) to a monster Ultra THX 1000 cables S-video or Component (Y, Pr Pb) which one should I go with S or Component?

2. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

If your TV has component inputs, then definitely go with the component cable. It's the best connection possible in most cases, and it's the only way to get a progressive scan signal from a DVD player to a TV.

You didn't mention which DVD player or TV you have, but even if your equipment doesn't support progreesive scan at the moment, you should still spend the extra $ on the component cable now instead of getting the S-Video now and then having to get the component cable when you upgrade to progressive scan dvd player and a tv that can process the signal.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Disclaimer - My TV is a 32" POS Toshiba -

In my non-progressive setup, I tried component for the first time. After realizing that switching video inputs on both the TV and AVR was a pain, I reverted to S for convienience sake.

Even when routing the S thru the AVR, I haven't noticed much of a difference at all. I am not going back to component until I have HD / progressive.

My .02, enjoy!

4. LexusN

LexusN Agent

thank you for your quick respond...my TV is HDTV ready and it does have component input...also, my DVD is a progressive scan...another question? should I go with Coax digital cables or go with Tosink (optical) for my Dolby Digital sounds?

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you haven't already done so, I recommend consulting the HTF Primer and FAQ (link below). These questions, and many more, are answered there.

M.

6. LexusN

LexusN Agent

thankyou very much and i'm heading in that directions....

7. Mark Olton

Mark Olton Auditioning

Optical and coaxial are equally effective. The only advantage to coaxial is that cable tends to have fewer mechanical problems.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if you're interested in possibly saving a few bucks, buy the monster ... but also buy some "decent" quality cabling (ar/rat-shack/whatever).

see if you see a picture quality difference. (no fair cheating though - have someone else swap the cables.) [​IMG]

optical and coax are the same. just choose whichever is more convenient for you. believe me...if one was so much superior then the other we wouldn't have both choices so readily available.

9. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Go for components. I notice a dramtic difference in colour saturation between the two on my system.

10. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

i went from composite to s-video thinking pic quality would improve dramatically on my rear-proj. HDTV. It did NOT. So i went out and bought inexpensive $20 component video cables. Although expecting the worst (esp. as i could have spent closer to $100 for some component video cables), the PQ DRAMATICALLY improved.
    No doubt in my mind....go component.

11. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I would like to add that I personally think that expenisve monster cables are a waste of money. Go to radio shack and buy some more economical cables. I was scukered into buying THX monster components cables, and out of curiosity I hooked up with basic RCA cables and noticed no difference.

12. LexusN

LexusN Agent

thanks for all your opinion but I looked into Monster Ultra THX component for $99.99 and a Monster Standard THX for going $39.99 there should be no differences?

13. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

I looked at both of the Monster cables you mentioned....but opted for some $20 component cables instead (can't remember the brand off top of my head - but perhaps GE??). I was very pleased with the quality, but do not know how they compare with the two more expensive Monster cable sets. If you really want to know if one is better than the other, then buy them both and return one after experimenting with the two of them - just make sure the store will take the cables back if package has been opened. I bought my cables at Circuit City and the salesperson told me that if they did not work well that I could return them - needless to say i did not return them as i am satisfied with the quality.