What's new

Verizon wireless broadband (1 Viewer)

MattLS

Agent
Anyone have any experience with this? Coverage area? Secure? Stable? Is it worth it or would we be well advised to wait for the technology to grow a bit?
Our company is a current Verizon cell phone client so we would getthe $60/mo. price. We are thinking off getting one of their laptops for one of our buyers.
Any info/opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
My boss uses one of these Verizon broadband cards and he loves it. He travels all over the country and I've yet to have him tell me that it wouldn't work where he was (he's usually in metro areas). It's kept him from shelling out $$ at hotels to use the broadband connection where he's staying so it's well worth the money in that respect.
He's also not reported an abundance of dropped signals (happens from time to time, but it's rare) and he'll leave his connected for hours at a time.

If you're getting a new laptop (you probably know this) but some of the newer IBM/Lenovo models (the Z50 or 60 comes to mind) have this technology built in so you can skip the external card.

Overall, I'd give it a good rating, especially if the user does alot of traveling.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
ive been using it for 4 ish years now....about 2 years of dial up speed, and now almost 2 years of high speed (EVDO). Not as nice as my cable modem but way better then dial up and perfect for emails via Outlook etc.

$60 / month is the standard pricing for anybody with a verizon phone.

Regards

gregg

MattLS

Agent
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.
Regarding speed, would it be sufficient to tap into our company's server via terminal services? This would be a frequent and required practice. Minimal processing would be involved, but access nonetheless.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it's perfect for remote access. That's really not a very bandwidth intensive process anyway.

We use ours for remote VPN all the time....I've even used connection sharing to network other machines off of the EVDO machine and use it for a remote sales setup at offsite events....running 3 or 4 machines off of the wireless connection.

MattLS

Agent
Great. Thanks for the info guys. I think we're going to go ahead with it. Probably with one of the new IBM laptops through Verizon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Matt,

I'm a little late...just coming back from vacation.

I have been a Verizon EV-DO user for the past 6 months
and I love it! It's very expensive at $60 per month, but
a real convenience to use just about anywhere.

Right now I am on a cruise ship returning from vacation.

The speed is pretty damn good. Very close to regular
broadband at most times. Others a little slower, but
nowhere close to dial-up speed.

Absolutely well worth getting if you can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks