What's new

VCI PRESS RELEASE: VCI Set To Release A Number Of Classic Films. (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Press Release
VCI Entertainment a division of Blair & Associates, Ltd
July 22, 2005

VCI Licenses Kit Parker Films 800 Title Library
Tulsa, OK –VCI Entertainment President Robert A. Blair announced VCI has inked a deal to distribute over 800 classic films from the KPF library. Since 1971, Kit Parker has distributed classics long forgotten or unseen. Now with the help of VCI, Mr. Parker is opening his vault, and bringing back to life films that have not been seen for over 50 years. Kit’s library holds many genres from Westerns, Film Noir, Silent Films, and Comedies.

There are two “A” films that Mr. Parker is looking forward to releasing with the help of VCI. They are “Black Tuesday” (1954) staring Edward G. Robinson and Peter Graves. The second is “Stranger on Horseback” (1955) a Louis L’Amour story, starring Joel McCrea, and directed by Jacques Tourneur. When asked about his vast collection of films, Kit commented “I find orphan films that were created by independent producers. It can take years to find specific titles. The nice thing is that I have original 35mm materials on all my films, so I am ready for the transition to HD when the time comes”. To date only 5% of his library has been out on Video. VCI will be releasing two or three movies a month from the KPF library. When talking to Parker, he was asked what some of his favorite films are, he replied “There are so many, two that are getting ready to come out that I am happy about are “Promises! Promises!” starring Jayne Mansfield, and “3 Nuts in Search of a Bolt” featuring Mamie Van Doren”.

VCI is one of the nation's oldest independent home video companies and has a library of over 3000 titles. Since VCI's first DVD release in 1999, its DVD library has grown to over 200 titles strong. The VCI library includes feature films, documentaries, short subjects, special interest and TV series. VCI’s goal is to become a leading supplier of archival quality Hollywood Classics.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
This is great news. I've been happy with the VCI noir I've purchased (the two Anthony Mann flicks and the two Film Noir Double Feature discs) so I'm definitely ready for more. Mr. Parker's library sounds pretty incredible. Of the four titles mentioned in the article, I'm definitely looking forward to Black Tuesday. Here's hoping to many more great releases.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Stranger on Horseback (1955, Jacques Tourneur) was shot in Anscocolor at 1.85:1 . One of Tourneur's hardest films to see. Being a huge Tourneur fan, I have always wanted to see it.

Charles H

Screenwriter
MOON AND SIXPENCE from VCI is en route to me. I would hope that the equally rare SO ENDS OUR NIGHT from the same producers (Loew and Lewin) might be forthcoming. Based on a novel by Erich Maria Remarque, it has a great cast: Fredric March, Margaret Sullivan, Frances Dee, Erich von Stroheim, Glenn Ford, and Anna Sten.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Does anyone know if MOON AND SIXPENCE VCI release contains the Technicolor sequence? I heard it was restored by MOMA or one of the big guns in film preservation. But often with PD material, it would cost an arm and leg to access the material.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Man, how I'd love to see a complete list of Kit Parker's film holdings! I wonder if THE CRYSTAL BALL (1943, starring Ray Milland and Paulette Goddard) is in there, for instance.

Excellent news all around. I'm very psyched about STRANGER ON HORSEBACK and BLACK TUESDAY...especially STRANGER ON HORSEBACK. :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Charles H

Screenwriter
Castle Films might own CRYSTAL BALL. CRYSTAL BALL, I MARRIED A WITCH, and YOUNG AND WILLING were three Paramount films released through United Artists during WWII because Paramount was backlogged with product. I think I MARRIED A WITCH (released on VHS by WB) was through Castle Films (they also own all those great Walter Wanger films--like STAGECOACH, FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, BLOCKADE, TRADE WINDS, BLOCKADE, THE LONG VOYAGE HOME, HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT).

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I think Charles meant to say Castle Hill Productions. They picked up all these classic Wanger productions from the Caidin family, probably better known for operating Hollywood Book & Poster memorabilia in L.A.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Ah, so this is where all the Lipperts have been hanging out.

Sounds like good news. Hope they'll get around to releasing "The Tall Lie" (1952). Haven't seen that one since a late-late-show in the 70s, and I remember it being quite bristling.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

In the words of Peter Griffin.... Holy crap...!

There's a lot of obscure noir in there to keep us happy for a very long time... Thanks Steve.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Thanks much Steve! Wow, Hammer's A STOLEN FACE!

Weird though, that STRANGER ON HORSEBACK and BLACK TUESDAY aren't on that list, unless they're both recent acquisitions.

Too bad the majors (and many of the minors) don't seem to have accessible online inventories (as far as I know) like Kit Parker's. It would help to clear up much confusion as to who has what (for instance, I'm still not sure who now has the legit rights to SANDS OF THE KALAHARI ('65), HOUSE OF MYSTERY ('61) and UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63), DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63) and UNIVERSAL SOLDIER ('71)) --especially when there are upcoming HTF chats. :D

Oh, and thanks Mark & Charles for the CRYSTAL BALL/Walter Wanger/Castle Hill info. Makes sense. :emoji_thumbsup:

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Absolutely fantastic news. I just received this email from VCI President, Robert Blair. Take a look at some of the noirs VCI plans to release - here is a snippet from his email:

Regarding specifics, we are still working on the exact schedule, however, I can tell you we plan to have several titles out this fall. Some of the first 'NOIR' titles to be released are: STOLEN FACE (Paul Henried), LOAN SHARK (George Raft), MAN FROM CAIRO (George Raft), BIG DEADLY GAME (Lloyd Bridges), I'LL GET YOU (George Raft), BAD BLONDE, UNHOLY FOUR, BLACK GLOVE, BLACKOUT, DANGER ZONE, SHOOT TO KILL, FBI GIRL, SHADOW MAN, GLASS TOMB, HEAT WAVE, HAT BOX MYESTERY, CASE OF THE BABY SITTER, PAID TO KILL, MANBAIT, RINGSIDE, GAMBLER AND THE LADY, ROARING CITY, PIER 23, SCOTLAND YARD INSPECTOR, FINGERPRINTS DON'T LIE, TALL LIE, THEY WERE SO YOUNG and of course two of the lost 'holy grails' of film noir - BLACK TUESDAY (Edward G. Robinson) and NEW YORK CONFIDENTIAL (Broderick Crawford).

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Holy crap, that's a LOT of noir. Those are some of the "first" to be released? Here's hoping they get a lot of those released soon!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I recently had the opportunity to look over a
few older VCI releases to determine their
quality.

I watched the handful of discs I received
and determined that while none of these
releases comes close to the restoration efforts
that are being done by major studios, for the
price these discs are being sold for (usually
$5 apiece) they look acceptable.

I have a question for all of you who have VCI
titles in your library...

Are most of their releases lacking the major
restoration quality of today's DVD product?

In other words, do most of their films look
dated, mostly full of blemish, and with audio
that is somewhat muffled?

Now....

Being that most of these titles sell for
about $5 each, do you really mind that the
picture and quality are not up to the standards
found on major label DVDs?

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
Do I mind..sure..but as a huge fan of films pre-1960, if it's the only way these titles will get released then so be it. I would rather have them in my collection then sitting in a vault rotting and never seeing them at all. If anyone really thinks studios(especially smaller ones), can afford to restore every film your dreaming..sometimes you have to compromise.

I will say in this case though as I look through the list of films that there are maybe a handful I would actually buy, not because of the viewing quality but just not many I am interested in.
I agree on Crystal Ball..actually there are quite a few Ray Milland titles I still want..with the studios focusing so much on the classic crime noirs I also hope there is a push to release comedies as well.

AndySvn

Agent
Stolen Face is very amusing in that it features Lizabeth Scott playing a Cockney slattern, which is pretty funny. It's no cinema classic but still a great way to waste 90 minutes.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have many VCI titles in my DVD library and have no problem with their quality whatsoever. Sure, they're not Warners by a long shot but they're eminently watchable. Like Criterion, VCI doesn't "own" their films nor does it have the prestige of a Criterion but they don't charge Criterion prices either. If Criterion had released, say, Slightly Scarlet, I'm sure it would look drop dead gorgeous at $30 or $35 a pop. VCI's Slightly Scarlet despite it's scratches and softness is pretty nice looking for under $10 and a decent commentary, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks