What's new

Mexican Aztec Mummy Trilogy Box set in Blu ray...from VCI - Coming soon!! (1 Viewer)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Which are the ones I saw as a child as they played originally in Puerto Rico. Never even heard of the 4th film in this "trilogy".
I can't remember whether they played flat or WS. I obviously wasn't paying much attention to aspect ratios at that time. I just cared about monsters.
Got my disc in this week. They are all widescreen and the K. Gordon Murray English versions. All 3 films look pretty good and are on a single disc. Sadly, missing the first film ("The Aztec Mummy") which must be owned by a different distributor than for the 3 included. I can live with these, but it would be nice to see the original Spanish versions.
Do they have the English credits too or are they like the Casa Negra with Spanish credits even though the films have the English language option?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yeah, I've seen these repeatedly for years. The first 3 are the best. WRESTLING WOMEN has it's charms, but it's too lengthy and really not related to the other 3. There is ample stock footage from the first film in #2, so it's kind of like seeing a "digest" version of #1.
When VCI released the 4Krestoration of "Night of the Bloody Apes" I was not aware that this was the remake of "Doctor Doom" with from the 60s!! Both titles reamstered and looking good!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
In comparing the new BD of the Aztec Mummy from VCI and comparing it to the BCI dvd box set from 2006 are these;
1. the visuals in the new BD are amazing, but it seems the aspect ratio is not correct, it is full screen but the images, although the best I've ever seen, are not the OAR. All of these are taken from the K Gordon Murrey versions so no subtitles...still amazing PQ and audio. And weirdly, the original intros are replaced with restored film titles, but no American International or the original Mexican front tags?

2. the original movie "Attack of the Aztec Mummy" done the same year 1957, with the same cast, was not included in this set. And the "Westling Women vs the Aztec Mummy" the 4th in the series was added. Not complaining but this really needed the first one for this release. All 4 could have been better released on BD by going 2 films per disc, but this is not the case here.

3. That being said, the 3 movies in the VCI BD are a massive upgrade from the BCI boxset. The advantage that the BCI box set has over the VCI release is, in the box set each film has BOTH and KGM and the Orginal Mexican versions on one disc. And a nice booklet with additional information on the films.

The VCI has a fun bonus feature "The Aztec Munny Movies" with film historian David D Wilt, sharing some insights on the peopl and history of the Mummy series in Mexican films.
Final reflection is although this VCI release is worth picking up, it's lack of the first film in the series does weaken the title for me. So I guess I'll keep BOTH, the BCI box set has the original versions with english subtitles, and VCI has the better restored 3 out of 4 movies in the series. I'd love to know why the first film is missing in this collection?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Can’t wait to hear their response.
VCI is very customer focused ask and u will get a reply --- might be next week because there is a video event in CA this week not sure if VCI will go there American Film Market

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Can’t wait to hear their response.
considering that all of these were the K Goron Murrey editions, it's more likely than not, a case of ownership or some other legal issue. Still it is a bit wierd to release a AM box set without the 1st film???

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
considering that all of these were the K Goron Murrey editions, it's more likely than not, a case of ownership or some other legal issue. Still it is a bit wierd to release a AM box set without the 1st film???
If legal issues then not unusual

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks