What's new

VCI PRESS RELEASE: VCI Set To Release A Number Of Classic Films. (1 Viewer)

John_S

Stunt Coordinator
I have a few VCI titles also, and I'm quite happy with them. I didn't expect super-transfers, but they're really not bad at all (at least for the films I have).

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
I have many VCI titles, and am quite satisfied. I think of them as a step up from the public domain companies such as Alpha and Brentwood (I won't touch those for any price), but not quite the quality of the majors.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
When they released "GORGO" a few years past, it was a lousy print and non-anamorphic. A few months ago, they released it again..."NEW PRINT AND WIDESCREEN" but still non-anamorphic.

I wrote and asked them why still non-anamorphic? Three people told me it was and finally someone came to their senses and said it wasn't! To those three, widescreen means anamorphic!!!

They said they were happy they got this new print and they hoped I enjoy it...huh? I even said I wasn't buying it!

I also mentioned that "TARGET EARTH" was anamorphic, but they didn't answer that question.

HDDVD/BR was asked about and they said they were looking into it.

Here's a company that has a boat load of VHS's that are finally coming out on DVD-r's, DVD's that are not anamorphic, do absolutely no restoration, almost all are PD's, what do you expect?

They'll always be a day late and a dollar short!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

That isn't true. VCI did a very good restoration of Bunuel's ROBINSON CRUSOE. Even had a documentary on the restoration process.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Seeing Black Tuesday was announced last year for release by VCI but is not showing up on the Kit Parker list, I asked VCI via e-mail what the status of the title was. Just received a reply that VCI is not getting the title for release. With that said, who is?

Eric

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
VCI did an outstanding job restoring two Monte Hellman westerns, RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND and THE SHOOTING (both 1965, released 1967) in collaboratin with the American Cinematheque. Image and audio quality equal to the major companies. Both releases were authorized by the director who provided commentaries. There's no comparison to the public domain editions. Both are essential, now out of print, unfortunately.

VCI also restored several 1950s color films directed by Alan Dwan, mostly westerns, including SILVER LODE and PASSION. Image and audio not as good as the majors, but close enough, and the films are well worth collecting.

I particularly like how VCI rescued HIGH LONESOME and THE SUNDOWNERS (both 1950), two independent westerns written by celebrated western author Alan LeMay (THE SEARCHERS, THE UNFORGIVEN). I'd seen cheap public domain editions of THE SUNDOWNERS which were abysmal qualtiy, but HIGH LONESOME was all but lost. VCI must have worked from primary elements because the picture quality is splendid and the audio is quite good. These two releases filled in a significant gap in 1950s westerns.

VCI has done an acceptable job restoring old serials, but often with disappointing results in the audio. I can crank up DRUMS OF FU MANCHU or JUNGLE GIRL to the max and it still sounds distant and muffled. Since no other company bothers with serials, I suppose VCI should be commended for making an effort and charging so low a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks