What's new

Using SPL meter (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
It seems the Radio Shack analog SPL meter for $49 is highly recommended, is that right? Is it easy to use? Any tips for a first time user? I want to set my surround system speakers and sub. Thanks.

jeff hedderson

Auditioning
i have that unit.I put it on a old camera try pod works great.Make sure you do a battery check before using each time,the meter will still work on a low battery but give you lower levels,found that out the hard way.Have fun.

AdamSZ

Auditioning
i just got mine yesterday. i looked around, found some expenisve ones ($75+), then found radioshacks for $40, its the same meter as all the "expensive" ones. i used it for the first time using the AVIA disk, its pretty easy to use, AVIA tells you what the tone should be at (85db for most), and if you dont like it, tone it down. i set all my speakers to 75db at 0db master volume, and the sub set to 70db, so a -20db (my normal "movie watching" volume) it comes out to a clear 50db +/-5, and sounds real good. like i said, got it yesterday, used it yesterday, never used one before, its super easy to use. just dont peg the needle.

Scott Racer

Auditioning
Where do I find the AVIA disc? Do I need the disc to set up the system correctly or can I use the test button on my HK AVR230?

AdamSZ

Auditioning
i got Avia from amazon.com.. mainly becuase im too lazy to go out and look for it. bestbuy, circuit city, or that expensive dvd store usually found in malls might have it. you dont NEED the disk, it just helps. im assuming as long as all your speakers have the same output from your seating position (theyre all giving the same db rating to your ears), you should be good. avia also has the test tones... my reciever has test tones too, but theyre not long enough to get a good reading from the meter, avia has nice long 5 minute tones to get your meter right where you want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks