What's new

Manually Calibrating Speakers on a 5.1 System (1 Viewer)

aljr11

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur Larkin
I'm using a Marantz SR-5013 AVR. I was wanting to know if when performing a manual calibration with a spl meter does it matter what surround sound format to use? In order to perform a manual calibration on the speakers what should be turned off and what should be left on? I try to reset everthing like my eq and tone control, treble and bass to 0. I have heard that you should turn off all compression. This is why I always set my avr to the pure setting to get the best possible sound in the end results. I may have this all together wrong. If someone could please shed some experience on this matter, I hope this isn't too confusing to understand the way I explained it. I'm very new at this. Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.

Last edited:

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If you use the test tone I don't think any of that matters (surround mode, bass, treble, etc).
"Most people" (as in the few people I know) use the auto-calibration and then just tweak it. Is there a reason your going old-school for your calibration?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you using a calibration disc, or the internal tone generator? If it's the internal generator, surround modes are deactivated.

aljr11

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur Larkin
Yes I'm using the internal test tones. I was going old school because the of the Audyessy filters. The Audyessy program is great but it seem as though the sound is too muffled. Almost as if someone threw a blanket over the speakers opposed to running the manual spl calibration. I'm getting more of my highend sound of course my ear aren't trained like you pros as to what to look for. I'm just more or less trusting my ears. I'm getting more of my high end when using the manual calibration that seem to be I quess rolling of too soon with Audyessy. Maybe this is deternmined be my room acoustics the reason I'm not getting the highend that I'm looking for. I have heard that the best way to perform the manual speaker calibration is to use the external tones but I don't have a cd player yet so I've been using my internal tones provided by the Marantz unit. The bottom or bass end is there using Audyessy or going manual but not the treble or high end.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, when you use the internal test tones, whatever processing you might have set is bypassed, which is how it should be. You calibrate with a pure signal.

aljr11

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur Larkin
Okay I understand. Thank you so very much for all the help sir. And to everyone else who chimed in. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks