What's new
World Wide Stereo

Using SPL meter for calibration (1 Viewer)

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
I have the RadioShack analog SPL Meter and have been calibrating my speakers with C - SLOW and using Avia's WideBand Pink Noise. Just to confirm a few things:

When reading the meter for 85db it should be set to 80db and reading 5+db? or better to set 90db and read down?

Best to hold the meter at arms length to the side pointed to the front but on a 45dgree angle to the ceiling? WHen it comes to the surround which are side on....do I keep this angle to the front still?

What average do most ppl set their subwoofer hot as?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I have mine 3 dB hot, which seems to be the norm at HTF for those who like it set hot.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
also note that the reponse of the ratshack meter falls off down low, so even if you read it flat, you're still probably a few dB hot already. A few dB hot is appropriate, to taste, not more than that.

joseph westcott

Second Unit

The meter should be pointed at the ceiling at ear level in the primary seating position, and preferably mounted on a tripod.

I use the 80dB but try both to see if there is any variance. Should not be critical.

Plex

Auditioning
Real Name
mark bower
Glad in stumbled upon this site, i was doing my cal all wrong, i will change to recommend usage. Just a quick question, should i calibrate at 70dB or 80dB range, listening levels are around the ~70 db with WAF :frowning: and if I'm alone do push it a bit more.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

joseph westcott

Second Unit

My calibration DVD suggests 80dB but your disk may vary. I would use whatever level it suggests. Once calibration is complete, the results should be linear and be balanced at whatever volume level you use after that.

supraru

Auditioning
Real Name
Blair Sonnen

+1

this is what i was going to suggest. that is how i did mine as reccommended from a B&W rep. Granted this is only one source, but it seemed to be the correct way as i encountered no issues with the calibration.

biglipps66

Auditioning
Real Name
john lippian
few db hot for sub? meaning set the thing to +3 or something for the sub?

joseph westcott

Second Unit
If the dB level is higher than the rest of the speaker channels, then yes, lower it by that dB level (3 for example).

Most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference but you will know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks