What's new

Upgrading Tivo (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I have a single-tuner Tivo that I'd like to upgrade to a dual tuner model. I'm clueless, though, as to how this works.

What do I do with my current box? Is there some sort of exchange deal with Tivo? Can it be ebayed?

Will my current subscription automatically transfer to the new box? Is it simply a matter of unplugging the old and plugging in the new?

Thanks for any help,

Jon

mylan

Screenwriter
I assume when you say single drive that you are referring to single tuner unit upgrading to a dual tuner unit. I just did this though my old tivo died. You can sell it on E-Bay as i'm not aware of any trade-in, some just put the old one in a bedroom. Your subscription will transfer to the new unit, as long as you didn't buy a "lifetime plan", in which case, you are out of luck, lifetime refers to the unit not the user. Call tivo or go to their website and enter the new service number and you should be good to go.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I meant tuner, not drive (original post edited to correct).

Anyway, putting the old box in a bedroom would require an additional monthly payment, yes?

Is there much of a market on ebay for old single-tuner boxes (I don't really see any listed)?

Thanks

mylan

Screenwriter
Yes, it would cost $6.95 a month for the extra box. I have heard rumor that older series 1 and 2 boxes will still work with basic functions like pause and rewind, etc. without being connected but I have not tried this personally. You would lose the abilty to schedule recordings in advance though.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
There's a decent market for some model TIVO's or if there is a lifetime subscription attached to the unit. With the lifetime sub, you can now get more back than you originally paid since you can't do lifetime anymore and some folks hate monthly charges.

In functional shape and no lifetime, some models go for $40-75. If it is a model that can function as a standalone digital VCR (no TIVO $$$ at all) and is in working shape, those can go for a bit more particularly if you sell International.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Another question: Assuming I buy a new 2-tuner unit retail, would I still be eligible for the usual rebate even though it would not be a new activation (I'd simply be transferring my account to the new box)?

If not, is there any way around this (such as cancelling the account and then setting up a new account)?

Thanks for all the help,

Jon

mylan

Screenwriter
Thats another question i'm facing as well, I think I am going to fill it out and see what happens. That info was so far down the fine print I didn't see it until I looked on the form that best Buy printed out during check out those sneaky bastards!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks