What's new

TiVo HDMI Port Question -- What Could Possibly Explain This? (1 Viewer)

Vik Rubenfeld

Auditioning
Real Name
Vik
I got a new TiVo Bolt, model # TCD849000VO. My TV, a Samsung PNC50C7000, has 4 HDMI inputs. I plugged the TiVo into HDMI 4 and it worked great. I then unplugged the TiVo and moved it to the shelf where it's going to normally be. I plugged it into HDMI 1 and got a picture that was mostly red, with lots of static. HDMI 1 had been working fine with the previous device that the TiVo is replacing.

I tried HDMI 2 and 4 and got the same result -- it was like all of a sudden the TiVo or the TV wasn't working.

Then on a whim I unplugged HDMI 3 from our Apple TV and plugged it into the TiVo -- and it worked!

I then took HDMI 2 and plugged it into the AppleTV -- and the Apple TV worked too!

What could possibly explain this?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If I understand, the TIVO worked when you tried it with a different HDMI cable? If so I don’t see what the mystery is.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't like giving bad advice -- but I have been known to do it from time to time.

When I read your post, I kept thinking, "I bet it's a bad HDMI cable."

I just didn't want to say it without being certain.

Now that I have read the responses here, I should have gone with my gut.

HDMI cables do go bad and when they do, you'll get static or discolored screens.

I also want to welcome you to the forum. Hang out and talk with us about the movies you watch!

Vik Rubenfeld

Auditioning
Real Name
Vik
Thanks!

The thing is -- the cable that **didn't** work with the TiVo, works fine with the Apple TV. Does that still match up with the explanation of it as being a bad cable?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks!

The thing is -- the cable that **didn't** work with the TiVo, works fine with the Apple TV. Does that still match up with the explanation of it as being a bad cable?

If the connector on the cable(s) or the receivers are slightly different it could easily.
If the the connections work with a certain combination and the Cables work for some but not all items then the answer has to be a slight variance in the cable ends male/female that aren't allowing a solid connection.

I might go back to the original combination that didn't work and try manually/gently adjusting the pressure in or up/down to see in the picture then works. OTOH, if everything is working sometimes better to leave things alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks