1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TiVo HDMI Port Question -- What Could Possibly Explain This?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Vik Rubenfeld, Oct 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Vik Rubenfeld

Vik Rubenfeld Auditioning

Vik
    I got a new TiVo Bolt, model # TCD849000VO. My TV, a Samsung PNC50C7000, has 4 HDMI inputs. I plugged the TiVo into HDMI 4 and it worked great. I then unplugged the TiVo and moved it to the shelf where it's going to normally be. I plugged it into HDMI 1 and got a picture that was mostly red, with lots of static. HDMI 1 had been working fine with the previous device that the TiVo is replacing.

I tried HDMI 2 and 4 and got the same result -- it was like all of a sudden the TiVo or the TV wasn't working.

Then on a whim I unplugged HDMI 3 from our Apple TV and plugged it into the TiVo -- and it worked!

I then took HDMI 2 and plugged it into the AppleTV -- and the Apple TV worked too!

What could possibly explain this?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If I understand, the TIVO worked when you tried it with a different HDMI cable? If so I don’t see what the mystery is.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum!

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Wayne is saying you have a bad hdmi cable. ;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt likes this.
  4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I don't like giving bad advice -- but I have been known to do it from time to time.

When I read your post, I kept thinking, "I bet it's a bad HDMI cable."

I just didn't want to say it without being certain.

Now that I have read the responses here, I should have gone with my gut.

HDMI cables do go bad and when they do, you'll get static or discolored screens.

I also want to welcome you to the forum. Hang out and talk with us about the movies you watch!

5. Vik Rubenfeld

Vik Rubenfeld Auditioning

Vik
    Thanks!

The thing is -- the cable that **didn't** work with the TiVo, works fine with the Apple TV. Does that still match up with the explanation of it as being a bad cable?

6. David Norman

David Norman Producer

If the connector on the cable(s) or the receivers are slightly different it could easily.
    If the the connections work with a certain combination and the Cables work for some but not all items then the answer has to be a slight variance in the cable ends male/female that aren't allowing a solid connection.

I might go back to the original combination that didn't work and try manually/gently adjusting the pressure in or up/down to see in the picture then works. OTOH, if everything is working sometimes better to leave things alone.