What's new

Audio Input Question (1 Viewer)

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
So, I posted in another thread that I am finally upgrading my 20 year old Rotel processor (works great but no HDMI) for a used 2016 Anthem that offers a wide variety of connection options. For video, the clear winner seems to be HDMI, but is that true for audio?
I have the option for HDMI (7 inputs), component (5 inputs), optical (3 inputs), & Coaxial (2 inputs). From what I understand, I can assign any audio input with any video input. Since I haven't had to deal with this many variations, what is the preferred order of operation? Any in-put (pun intended) would be appreciated.

The ones I am unsure about that I will be connecting are a Tivo device with a variety of options & an external DAC which I run my phone through. I'm pretty sure everything else is HDMI only unless my Blue Ray offers a component or Coaxial option.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For your video sources, you want to use hdmi for both audio and video. I'm not sure I totally understand your question beyond that. Audio only sources probably have multiple options and deciding on which to use will require more detail of what options you have.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
@JohnRice that helps actually. Since the Anthem gives the flexibility to assign a different audio input from the Video, I wasn't sure if there was a better option than HDMI. Thanks, as always you are quick with a solution.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@JohnRice that helps actually. Since the Anthem gives the flexibility to assign a different audio input from the Video, I wasn't sure if there was a better option than HDMI. Thanks, as always you are quick with a solution.
No problem. Glad to help. The bottom line is that hdmi is the only method that can transmit the latest audio formats like HD and Immersive (Atmos/DTS:X) so it's really the only one to use for those formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks