What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (2 Viewers)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Right now I'm starting season 8. After season 9 the show begins to decline and it gets harder and harder for me to stay interested.
Much like the TV viewers in the 80's, I switched to watching the Dynasty DVD's after season 8 of Dallas.
3c9b8c9b2875a72bc5954e3fa8d3f91b.jpg
I am four episodes into season 8 of Dynasty after finishing up the second and last year of The Colbys. (It's not as bad as it's reputation) I plan to return to Dallas when I finish Dynasty. Hey, has this turned into a Dallas thread?:laugh:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only way I would've kept my flippers is if Victoria Principal herself showed up at my door to provide commentary!

I had hoped to see Pam in the Dallas Continuation that TNT Did. I was really unhappy with the way the powers in charge handled Pam, and the 2 prior Dallas TV movies. Essentially, they were discarded in Dallas Canon. I mean, The stated reason Cliff wanted to sell Ewing Oil in J.R. Returns (1996) was that he wanted to retire and make things right with Afton and Pamela. it would have been nice if we had been given the reasons for Cliff now back in business and Angry with Bobby whom he sold Ewing Oil to. Furthermore, there were mis steps along the way. In season 2 for example, At J.R.s Memorial service when Cally and Mandy appeared, there was No Dialogue between Bobby and either of them. Also, When Gary and Val made appearances, there was no Dialogue that I remember with them and Lucy which made no sense to me since Val and Gary are Lucy's Parents

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Yeah, it seemed the Pam character was totally abandoned at some point in the original series. It's a shame, because it was her & Bobby's relationship that kicked off the whole thing in the very first episode in 1978.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I picked up the single-sided discs re-release of the Superman animated complete series set.

Each disc was redone with 9 episodes per disc. The original special features are dropped entirely (except for one).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I was bored today (new years eve) and decided to search for other animated Warner flipper titles. This is what I found, which is not exhaustive.

Not yet re-released as single-sided discs

- Frekazoid season 1 (disc2 was a flipper)
- Tiny Toon Adventures season 1 volume 1 (disc4 was a flipper)
- SIlverhawks season 1 volume 1 (disc4 was a flipper)

Tiny Toon Adventures season 1 volume 1 and Silverhawks seasons 1 volume 1, are being re-released as single-sided 3-discs sets. (Also Tiny Toon Adventures season 1 volume 2, which never had flippers to begin with). They're being released on September 10, 2019.

- Tiny Toons Adventures season 1 volume 2

https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Spielberg-Presents-Tiny-Adventures/dp/B07VFQMS2P/

- Tiny Toons Adventures season 1 volume 1

https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Spielberg-Presents-Adventures-Repackaged/dp/B07VCMNZ2G/

- Silverhaws season 1 volume 1

https://www.amazon.com/Silverhawks-Season-Repackaged-Robert-McFadden/dp/B07VFQMQT2/

These sets were originally released as four discs sets back in the day, with around 8 episodes per disc. These new upcoming 3-disc sets are reauthored with around 11 or 12 episodes per disc.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It remains to be seen whether Freakazoid season 1 is ever re-released as single-sided discs.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Still having problems trying to locate the original Dallas 2018 single-sided releases for Seasons 9-12. What is the story on these? Limited supply and high demand? And if they are in such high demand, why don't they print more? I thought the later seasons wouldn't be nearly as popular as the early ones. I'm totally baffled on this one!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Without any insider information, it is hard to say for sure why the Dallas re-releases are out-of-print. All we can do is speculate. For example:

- They didn't manufacture a large number of copies?
- Too many batches which turned out to be defective, and had to be recalled? (ie. Lousy quality control).
- etc ...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I picked up the single-sided discs re-release of the Superman animated complete series set.

Each disc was redone with 9 episodes per disc. The original special features are dropped entirely (except for one).

This ^ is largely wrong.

I watched through the Superman animated discs more closely, and noticed just about all the original special features (from the flipper disc versions) are indeed there. It just happens that they were were not listed on the dvd cover or insert.

The only original special features (from the flipper disc versions) which appear to be gone, are the episode commentaries.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If anybody here has both the original flipper sets AND the corresponding re-released single-sided discs versions of the Hanna-Barbera dvd sets which were released as "Diamond Collection" versions in 2017-18, can you verify whether the special features were dropped entirely ?

For example, such as the 20-discs Flintstones complete series "Diamond Collection" dvd set which were all single-sided discs in comparison to the old 24 discs complete series version where the 4th disc of each season was a flipper.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Having just recently tracked down Seasons 9 &12, my quest for the 2018 Dallas single-sided reissues is nearly complete! I'm still missing Seasons 10 & 11. If anybody knows of a source, let me know. I'm willing to pay!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Here it is, not even 2 years after the single-sided Dallas releases and I STILL can't track down Seasons 10 & 11! Hopefully 2020 will be my year.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Just noticed there is an upcoming rerelease of the complete series set of The Waltons. The amazon listing asserts is will be a 47 disc set.

(The older complete series set from the early-mid 2010s, iirc had something like 44 or 45 discs where the season 8 and 9 sets were still the old double-side flipper discs versions).

If this new re-released set of 47 discs are single-sided discs, this suggests the possible season by season disc counts might be:

season 1 = 5 discs
season 2 = 5 discs
season 3 = 5 discs
season 4 = 5 discs
season 5 = 5 discs

season 6 = 6 discs
season 7 = 5 discs

season 8 = 5 discs ?

season 9 = 4 discs ?

telefilms = 2 discs ?

For season 9 of The Waltons, it consisted of 22 episodes. The 4-discs comparison I'm thinking of, is Warner authoring CHiPs season 6 as 4-discs which had 22 episodes. (ie. 5 or 6 episodes per single-sided disc).

Season 8 had 24 episodes, which might be consistent with Warner re-authoring the single-side discs to have five episodes per dvd disc.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just noticed there is an upcoming rerelease of the complete series set of The Waltons. The amazon listing asserts is will be a 47 disc set.

(The older complete series set from the early-mid 2010s, iirc had something like 44 or 45 discs where the season 8 and 9 sets were still the old double-side flipper discs versions).

If this new re-released set of 47 discs are single-sided discs, this suggests the possible season by season disc counts might be:

season 1 = 5 discs
season 2 = 5 discs
season 3 = 5 discs
season 4 = 5 discs
season 5 = 5 discs

season 6 = 6 discs
season 7 = 5 discs

season 8 = 5 discs ?

season 9 = 4 discs ?

telefilms = 2 discs ?

For season 9 of The Waltons, it consisted of 22 episodes. The 4-discs comparison I'm thinking of, is Warner authoring CHiPs season 6 as 4-discs which had 22 episodes. (ie. 5 or 6 episodes per single-sided disc).

Season 8 had 24 episodes, which might be consistent with Warner re-authoring the single-side discs to have five episodes per dvd disc.

Do you think this new Waltons all-in-one will be in the manner that many CBS all-in-ones have been (one or two, maybe three, big cases, with the discs stacked on top of each other within)?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Do you think this new Waltons all-in-one will be in the manner that many CBS all-in-ones have been (one or two, maybe three, big cases, with the discs stacked on top of each other within)?

Most likely.

Though another possibility is several 10+ discs cases, like what was done for The Big Bang Theory complete series dvd set.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
hmmm.. they already have seperate epik pak cases for seasons 1-4 and 5-8 , wonder if they‘ll just use those (or combine them ) and have a seperate case for S9 plus the reunion movies. i sold mine last year hoping they would release it on blu since it was showing on Prime in 2019 in HD .

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
hmmm.. they already have seperate epik pak cases for seasons 1-4 and 5-8 , wonder if they‘ll just use those (or combine them ) and have a seperate case for S9 plus the reunion movies. i sold mine last year hoping they would release it on blu since it was showing on Prime in 2019 in HD .

It appears the previous seasons 5-8 epikpak set, might be out of print already. (Dunno about the seasons 1-4 set).

If Warner is using giant epikpak cases, some possibile configuration might be:

seasons 1-5 = 25 discs
seasons 6-9 + telefilms = 22 or 23 discs?

seasons 1-6 = 31 discs
seasons 7-9 + telefilms = 16 or 17 discs ?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For that matter in addition to The Waltons, Warner is re-releasing a bunch of complete series set on May 25, 2021.

- Fresh Prince of Bel Air
- Vampire Diaries
- Everybody Loves Raymond
- Big Bang Theory
- Game of Thrones

Recently Longmire was re-released, where the photos on amazon shows the epikpak case opened. I wouldn't be surprised at all if these upcoming re-released complete series sets are using giant epikpak cases.

(Late last year, Warner re-released a bunch of HBO complete series sets: Entourage, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, The Wire, True Blood, etc ... in giant epikpak cases according to some photos).

If Warner is re-releasing many of their older complete series set in giant epikpak cases, then perhaps we might see an original Dallas complete series set re-released as all single-sided discs, in the near future?

(Possibly also other catalog Warner shows like ER, Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Smallville, West Wing, The OC, Nip/Tuck, Chuck, etc ...).

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Recently Longmire was re-released, where the photos on amazon shows the epikpak case opened. I wouldn't be surprised at all if these upcoming re-released complete series sets are using giant epikpak cases.

I saw that a few seconds ago, the Amazon pictures of the Longmire redo-- it seems like many of the older-type CBS condensed all-in-ones (one disc overlapping another in an alternating fashion, panel-to-panel, all the way through), like this Vega$ all-in-one, for instance...

vegascompleteseries.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks