What's new

Universal Musicals (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Universal does not seem very excited about releasing their musicals. Does anyone know if they might they get to SWEET CHARITY and THROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE in 2002. I would really enjoy seeing them on DVD.

To which other muscials do they have the rights?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Flower Drum Song" belonged to Universal, and now looks to be coming to Broadway. I've read MGM had the rights to the film but they expire at the end of 2001 - so maybe this will come out next year. Also "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" (It would make a nice special edition with over 20 minutes of deleted songs/scenes)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I think Universal may also have The Pirates of Penzance.

Because a stage version of Thoroughly Modern Millie is going to open soon on Broadway, Universal would be wise to take the opportunity to put the movie out on dvd. It isn't something I'd buy, but I can't imagine there'd ever be a better time to deal with the title.

I'd buy Sweet Charity in a heartbeat. Was this ever released to home video in its proper OAR? I had an LD years ago that letterboxed the "Hey Big Spender" number (and maybe one or two other production numbers?) but was otherwise P&S.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sweet Charity is a favorite of mine!

I love the the dance number in the garage

with Sammy Davis Jr. One of the best musical

moments in film.

I remember the last VHS release of SWEET CHARITY.

The entire film was P&S except for the title

sequence and the dance numbers.

Hope Universal gets this out.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Greg, thanks for the heads-up about AMC. And speaking of Universal, does Coal Miner's Daughter count as a musical? Sure would enjoy that one.

Ron, the clarification you make is exactly right - when I had Sweet Charity on LD, the letterboxing would appear for the ensemble *dance* segments, not all the musical numbers. Hence, the numbers without a lot of dance movement were not letterboxed at all, but numbers with group dancing (like the "Rhythm of Life" number you mention) were. The number with Charity and her two working girl pals started P&S, until they get to dancing on the roof and bingo - letterbox time. Talk about a job half-done! To think they went to the trouble to present Bob Fosse's choreography in OAR, but not his film in total.

I have Fosse's "All That Jazz" to look forward to from Fox in the meantime, but I'd love this as well. And Universal, if you ever get to this title, how about including the alternate ending to the film that is on the LD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks