What's new

Two Towers EE DVD... (1 Viewer)

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
he couldn't see how the films could be made without ILM's assistance.
Well, in all fairness, the WETA folks did go to ILM to learn about the software and techniques of pre-viz. They said they couldn't have done it without ILM's help. This was talked about on one of the sections on disc 3 of the EE.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Thanks for pointing that out Greg.

It's one of those things got out on the web was taken out of context.

Personally, I'm thankful for all the movie bliss that Lucas has given me. Both him and Jackson are talented film-makers.

Tim Ebling

Grip
Peter Jackson's face practically leapt out of the screen at me during the Saruman/Wildmen scene - had to chuckle out loud at that! I didn't notice him at Helm's Deep, but I'll look again at the next viewing. Somehow I doubt he'd cameo twice in the film, but I suppose you never know...

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Not sure if this belongs here but what possible bookends might we get with this one? Would it be both towers?

---
jay

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Do we need bookends with this one? I would imagine that the Bookends were for LoTR EE only and the other two films will just be standalone.

I don't think they plan for everyone to have 3 sets of bookends; one to hold each film.

That said, if they can milk $60 bucks for each one, you never know!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
If they do gift sets for both extended Two Towers and ultumately, Return of the King, they will probably be slightly cheaper than Fellowship's as it's unlikely either will carry a bonus fifth disc of any kind.

Dan

MatS

Screenwriter
I myself would like to see the following senario though it will stop any kind of consistancy many here likely think should be given to these dvd releases....

1) release TTT theatrical cut bare bones
2) release the EE with all the bonus features on the same date at the theatrical cut (around the same time that the theatrical cut of FOTR was released, I believe August or release them both even earlier in the year)

Since we were given such a wealth of extras on FOTR theatrical and EE we are not going to need all that background info again (Tolkien history, books history, etc)
While I love extras when done right as LOTR has been, I just think at some point rehashing much of the same material will become overkill.

I'm sure many will disagree with me and be strictly for consistancy in the releases throughout the series (2 disc set followed by 4 disc sets) but I only offer this up as a discussion of another possibility as most of the time many of these extras features just echo what was already said/shown in another extra feature.

Either way I will most likely buy both as I did with FOTR

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There will be no rehashing. The 6 discs worth of extras are supposed to be be one gigantic supplement

It'd be virtually impossible to have the 4disc package ready in time for August

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I could see that for FOTR, but now that 2 of the 3 movies are already in the bag I would think much more time has been freed up.
I don't see it that way. Each film needs to finish up postproduction. If you're to say the EE of FOTR was held up because of the post for TTT, you can say the same for the EE of TTT and the post work for ROTK.

I don't doubt that TTT will be released in a set just as extravagant as FOTR. The guys behind these discs probably have everything thought out so no there won't be any overlap in features. Think of it this way: If the features on the FOTR EE introduced us to the production. With TTT's we can cover the new aspects of it, and go in much more depth with things out of the way.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a valid point:

The new Star Wars saga is a trilogy of films, and so is The Lord Of The Rings. I think the new Star Wars films are hack jobs of the highest magnitude, and find Peter Jackson's adaptation more entertaining and of a higher caliber.

No, they aren't the best films ever and I do have problems with some of Jackson's plot tinkering and both saga's heavy handed use of blatantly obvious and cartoonish CGI in some scenes, but I do come out of the theater much more satisfied with LotR's than the stink bombs Lucas has lobbed at us.

Dan

Brenton

Screenwriter
The new Star Wars saga is a trilogy of films, and so is The Lord Of The Rings. I think the new Star Wars films are hack jobs of the highest magnitude, and find Peter Jackson's adaptation more entertaining and of a higher caliber.
I can see and understand your point perfectly (though I don't agree with it). I just think that The Lord of the Rings is good enough that it shouldn't be compared to anything.
I also don't think that these two franchises should be thought of as "in competition". They are not. To favor one, is to disfavor the other. In my opinion, they are both worthy of favor.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Frankly, I'm surprised that we're getting the EE's at all while the trilogy is still in production for theatrical release. Isn't that Lucas's excuse for holding up any kind of release of SW Eps 4-6? That's he's "busy" with Eps 1-3?
I have no doubts that there will be an abundance of material available for inclusion in the appendices of the TTT:EE. I read somewhere that Jackson said they filmed constantly behind the scenes and there are hundreds of hours of material to choose from. And Jackson is obviously a great fan of the DVD format, so I am completely confident in his abilities to turn out an EE for each film that contains a minimum of "repeat" material.
I also think that rushing out the EE any earlier would be ill-advised. Obviously Jackson will be working on post-production for ROTK until just a few weeks before the film opens, so I don't feel it necessary to compress his schedule any further. Plus, it provides a two-tiered marketing punch leading up to the next movie. First in August, to get people thinking about the movie again, then in November to get people excited about the imminent release.
Since the there will be no further post-production work after ROTK, then the ROTK DVD's could possibly be accelerated slightly? But I'm fine if the schedule stays the same as the first two films.
I'm just wondering what the heck will be worth watching at the movies in Christmas 2004? :D

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You can compare a movie to another one, especially when they are both in the same genre of fantasy/adventure.
To me, one is pretty well done and the other one is worthy of Ed Wood. One is more exciting with some characters I can care about, while the other one does not. One has pretty decent dialog considering the age group the studio is aiming for and the other has cringe enducing, wooden dialog and acting (so bad in some instances I want to pull my teeth and/or hair out).
:D
Dan

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
the theatrical TTT DVD is easy. The WB "Return to Middle Earth" goes on there, as well as web documentaries, trailers, commercials, that sort of thing. Exactly the same pattern as the Fellowship theatrical. the 2 Disc is easy, there's enough promotional stuff going on to fill that second disc piece of cake.

The EE is a bit trickier. Fellowship covered a lot. TTT EE though can cover a lot of characterization stuff, expect profiles on the new characters (Gollum big time, Theoden, Eowyn, the Ents, Faramir and the Rangers of Gondor) as well as the design of the major set pieces (Rohan, Fangorn, the Emyn Muil and the Dead Marshes, the Black Gate, Ithilien, and Osgiliath). Besides that, look for in depth documentaries on the CGI behind the Ents and Gollum (big time), and a lot of stuff on Helm's Deep, especially MASSIVE. That would be stuff I would definitely expect to see them go into, anybody else want to chime in?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm also ready to take my place among those HTFers who complain about the sound being nowhere near as good as in there home theaters.
Makes me glad I saw it at the theater I did. The sound was awesome, fantastic, superb. Surround activity, bass, everything.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
That would be stuff I would definitely expect to see them go into, anybody else want to chime in?
I'd like to see the EE contain something about how the editing/completing of The Two Towers was affected by the public's reaction to FOTR. Did they decide to make it longer, add certain scenes, etc. Included with that would be information on the pick-up shots they filmed, and how that process worked.

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
The TNT special had interviews from cast members who were back in NZ for re-shoots last summer. There could be more of that, which adds more perspective since the cast now has the benefit of knowing the success of the first film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks