What's new

Two Towers EE DVD... (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm ready for it now.

It does need more Ents, I missed the Ent Wives and Ent Draughts. I thought the Arwen stuff worked fine, in the dream world where I'm the director it wouldn't be in there, but I understand the reasons Jackson & Co. felt it needed to be there.

The thing I would take out is Aragorn going over the cliff with the warg. The whole "he has fallen thing" was completely unnecessary.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I thought the movie as shown on-screen was well-done. It accomplished the impossible task of widening the scope of the first movie, while translating a LOOOONG series of written book passages into an on-screen account that must, by its nature (restrictions of time) be "compromised" and "edited". Jackson did a great job, within the constraints of filmmaking, and I again find myself excited about the EE so that I can see more of his craft.

I hope and expect that the EE contains a bit more of the unshown portion of Gandalf's fight with the Balrog. While what was onscreen was enough to satisfy the need to show how he was able to return to the world, it was really awkward as it jumps from the depths of the bottom of the shaft, straight to the top of the mountain. Folk unfamiliar with the book probably were astonished at the transition!

For myself, I was looking forward to seeing the Balrog with his flame extinguished, battling with Gandalf under the Earth, and then being chased like that through caverns to the spiral stairs which led to the crown of the mountain, where "he burst into new flame" and they continued the battle, until the end shown in the theatrical cut. Also, showing the Eagle flying the naked Gandalf off the mountaintop would have been terrific, since there is more to that relationship.

The parts that were changed around for "efficient moviemaking" (I guess I can call it that) did not diminish the impact and enjoyment of the story, at least for me and my companions (including my wife, who is picky indeed!). Although we can't help but wonder:
When the hell is Narsil to be reforged? Obviously this too is pushed back to RotK. But it was supposed to occur just prior to Bilbo giving Frodo the mithril shirt!

I agree that the parts with Arwen weren't completely necessary, and a bit overlong. And that Gimli was used much too humorously. But what else were they to do with him? At least John Rhys-Davies kept busy as Treebeard's voice as well. Also, may I say that the great special effect of seeing a "dimunitive" Rhys-Davies looking UP at the other characters, especially Aragorn and Legolas, as they converse throughout the film, was appreciated even more here, as it was indeed seemless and you believed that this big actor was really "shrunk" for the role! Well-done! The production staff responsible for this really pulled that off! Along with Gollum, and Treebeard and the other Ents; marvelous special effects. To put my post back on-track: seeing Entwives and so forth in the EE would be terrific.

The entire battle at Helm's Deep was exactly what it was said to be. The MASSIVE software rocked, and what we saw on screen was impressive and, dare I say, perfect. I'm not sure what Jackson could do to add to it in the EE. It was great as-is.

However, I trust him. As I've indicated above, we must take movies as movies and try to forget the books, and ask ourselves "is this a good MOVIE"? One that is true to the spirit of the book, but works on film? Jackson and his enormous team has not let me down yet. I look forward to a terrific EE, and to the Return of the King as well!

George Cifrancis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Brook K said...

It does need more Ents, I missed the Ent Wives and Ent Draughts
There aren't any Ent Wives in the books, just talk of them (they lost them long ago). Kind of interesting in the books, but not needed to move the story along in the movie. The Ent Draughts scene is supposed to be in the EE.

GC

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I hope the EE version of TTT fixes the fast cut editing at the begining of the film. Because I found that to be annoying. Also they need to fix the line Frodo says about only 7 leaving Rivendale, when it was 9 that left.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Also they need to fix the line Frodo says about only 7 leaving Rivendale, when it was 9 that left.
I believe he said that he and Sam left with 7 others.
As I haven't read the books, I don't have much else to add to the discussion. :) I'm looking forward to the EE, though. It's gonna be a long day a year from now when I watch both EEs back-to-back before going to see ROTK on the same day...

Ivar_L

Auditioning
What about Peter Jackson's cameo?

I think he was a screeming person who throw a stone (or something) to the gate bashing uruk-hais...

His two children were in this movie too...

Also, what about Morrissey cameo rumors? Was there any other cameos at all?...

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Morrissey was in this movie? As an orc he could sort of be a Suedehead ;)
And I know there are no Entwives, I meant the conversation as well. It makes the Ents much more sad and tragic.
The wait for TTT EE is going to be much more painful than FOTR EE, since now I know how much of an improvement the EE was over the theatrical.
I'm also ready to take my place among those HTFers who complain about the sound being nowhere near as good as in there home theaters. The theater I saw it in might as well of not had any bass compared to my new Hsu. At home the Balrog scenes threaten to rip pictures off the walls, in the theater I never came close to feeling any bass. The score and surround qualities suffer as well in comparison.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I saw TTT twice yesterday, and overheard four different people say afterwards, "I can't wait for the extended DVD!" So I guess there's a market. :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Instead of where it should have been, would have taken 10 seconds of screentime before they left Rivendell in FOTR

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Instead of where it should have been, would have taken 10 seconds of screentime before they left Rivendell in FOTR
One thing PJ is trying to do with these films is give each one a really stunning opening and closing scene.

Another goal of his is to enhance Aragorn's arc somewhat, making him doubtful of his strength of will in part 1, giving him a taste of leadership in part 2, before embracing his past and accepting his destiny as king in part 3. Fans of the book see this as an unnecessary change but I appreciate that a character who begins the story with a weakness has an opportunity to grow over the course of the story.

So far I've been blown away by the intros to both films. I think we'll have something special in store for us when the curtains part for us a year from now.

Brenton

Screenwriter
All in all much better movies than any of the new Star Wars episodes, however.
Thank you so much for confirming this for all of us. When I heard that the film was good, my first thought was "Is it all in all a much better movie any of the new Star Wars episodes??"

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to compliment The Lord of the Rings without putting down Star Wars. Can't a body love both franchises?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Rob, thanks for the tidbit.

Ivar, I don't think that is Jackson's cameo. I think he is one of the Hill People that Saruman sends after the Rohan villages.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I'm sooooooo stoked for not only the EE, but also the theatrical cut. I want it all!!!!!

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to compliment The Lord of the Rings without putting down Star Wars. Can't a body love both franchises?
I think some of the resentment might stem from comments that George Lucas allegedly made before the release of FOTR. I believe he said something to effect that he couldn't see how the films could be made without ILM's assistance. Whether or not that comment is true, it got out on the web and it pissed off some of my friends that are fans of all things LOTR.

It could be that and the fact that the prequels in general have fallen short of many fans' expectations. I felt this way with TPM, but ATOC is very enjoyable for me. And finally, many are still upset about the delayed release of the OT on DVD. So, it might not be one thing, but a combination of things. Personally, I think the situation has improved considerably after the DVD release of TPM, followed by ATOC. If you think it's bad now, you've should've seen the resentment before those events. Very dark times indeed.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
David:

I'm positive that Jackson made a cameo right there in Helm's Deep. A shot just after the first attempt of the battering ram.
I noticed it first time. Almost unmistakable.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Yes, it looks like him alright, but! :)
I saw that photo earlier during the Two Towers/ROTK spoiler thread, yet didn't see him in the film during the Wild Men sequence. (And I was paying attention to the background too, since I thought that was where his cameo was going to be.)
I may be wrong about the Wild Men, but I'm positive that his cameo was in Helm's Deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks