What's new

Pre-Order USHE Press Release: The Fabelmans (2022) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Fablemans also took top honors at TIFF. That's usually a better barometer.

UNLESS the AMPAS decides to trollface Spielberg one more time* and gives it to EO instead.

*of course that was also the result of intimidation by the Weinsteins.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
UNLESS the AMPAS decides to trollface Spielberg one more time* and gives it to EO instead.
I liked The Fabelmans, and I won't be surprised or upset if it wins Best Picture or Best Director.

However, I don't think it would be "trollfacing" to give the award to something else. There are a lot of good movies in the conversation this year. I don't think there is one clear frontrunner at this point in time.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Fablemans also took top honors at TIFF. That's usually a better barometer.

*of course that was also the result of intimidation by the Weinsteins.

"EO"? Not sure what that means!

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
EO is Jerzy Skolomowski's latest movie, a kind of redux of Au Hasard Balthazar produced by the redoubtable Jeremy Thomas. It won the lion d'or at Cannes last year. I think it's a breathtaking masterpiece and my favorite movie of 2022.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
EO is Jerzy Skolomowski's latest movie, a kind of redux of Au Hasard Balthazar produced by the redoubtable Jeremy Thomas. It won the lion d'or at Cannes last year. I think it's a breathtaking masterpiece and my favorite movie of 2022.

Thanks - never heard of it until now.

Not sure how they can make a new "EO" movie without MJ, though.

MvwTu9V.jpg

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I had hoped to see this theatrically, but finally got around to watching the UHD over the weekend.

Another masterpiece from Spielberg. Obviously, it's immensely personal, but I felt that it touched a nerve for me in particular. I received my first video camera when I was 15 years old (Video 8) and immediately started making stuff with my friends and family. The Fabelmans captures what it's like to get into cinema as a youth and want to make your own. Granted, I didn't make anything approaching what a young Spielberg (and his alter ego Sammy in this film) made, but it was the experience that mattered. A lot of people seem to be irked by him being mesmerized by The Greatest Show on Earth, which is often considered an insigificant film (and makes it onto a lot of worst Best Picture lists), but I was about the same age and became obsessed with the 50s Around the World in 80 Days. I get it.

There's one great scene after another. Sammy's Christian girlfriend, Uncle Boris as a prophet, Sammy making films, and of course, the ending that's a cherry on top. A whole array of wonderful performances, a literate script, and God, is it gorgeous to look at. I'd like to compare this film in Spielberg's filmography to Bergman's Fanny and Alexander, with a touch of Varda's Jacquot de Nantes.

The UHD looks gorgeous. The end credits note that actual 16mm and Super-8 film was used instead of faking it digitally. Apparently, there was a little bit of digital, but majority is 35mm. Easily a reference disc, especially as the whole film looks like it was shot on 50s and 60s film stock. Only question I have is why none of Spielberg's early pre-studio work wasn't included as an extra. Or does none of it survive?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Only question I have is why none of Spielberg's early pre-studio work wasn't included as an extra. Or does none of it survive?
At least some of them survive and some clips of the war movies were used in the special features on the Saving Private Ryan disc. And while it sounds insane and made up but the 8mm movies were found in the 1980's in Arizona and restored by a teenage J.J. Abrams. (Yes, they let a clueless teenager mess around with the only copies of early works by a master artist :laugh:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks