What's new

Pre-Order USHE Press Release: The Fabelmans (2022) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
e670af12-b359-6be7-0823-0462497a373d.jpg
WINNER OF TWO GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS® FOR BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA & BEST DIRECTOR OF A MOTION PICTURE

BRING HOME THE EXTRAORDINARY COMING-OF-AGE STORY
dd592cd5-ce5f-13f0-18ec-7347f3d8a8c5.png
GO BEHIND THE SCENES WITH GOLDEN GLOBE®-WINNING DIRECTOR/WRITER STEVEN SPIELBERG
AS HE SHARES MORE OF HIS PERSONAL STORIES THAT INSPIRED THIS YEAR’S MOST HEARTWARMING FILM

“THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR” – TIME
OWN IT ON DIGITAL JANUARY 17, 2023
BLU-RAY™ AND DVD FEBRUARY 14, 2023
FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT
e49dec15-d4c8-573c-4927-c4e826197dad.png
Universal City, California, January 12, 2023 – Director Steven Spielberg brings a deeply personal portrait of a 20th century American childhood in the semi-autobiographical film, THE FABELMANS, available to own on Digital January 17, 2023 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ and DVD on February 14, 2023 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Hailed by critics as “An enduring classic” (Peter Travers, ABC NEWS), THE FABELMANS is a heartfelt tale that “we’ve been waiting 45 years for Steven Spielberg to make” (Rolling Stone). THE FABELMANS comes with exclusive bonus content that takes viewers behind the scenes with Spielberg, filmmakers and the all-star cast as they bring the audience into the world that brought Spielberg’s story to life.

Inspired by Steven Spielberg’s own childhood, rediscover the magic of movies in THE FABELMANS, a coming-of-age story about a young man uncovering a shattering family secret and the power of film and imagination to help us see the truth about ourselves and each other. With a star-studded cast featuring Michelle Williams (Manchester by the Sea, My Week with Marilyn), Paul Dano (The Batman, There Will Be Blood), Seth Rogen (Steve Jobs, An American Pickle), Gabriel LaBelle (The Predator, “American Gigolo”) and Academy Award® nominee Judd Hirsch (Uncut Gems, Ordinary People), THE FABELMANS tells a timeless tale of heartbreak, healing, and hope for the dreamer inside all of us.

With the purchase of THE FABELMANS on disc or digital, fans are eligible to earn points towards digital movies via the Universal All-Access Rewards program. Members can redeem their points for digital movies, swag and more! For registration and details please visit www.MyUniversalRewards.com.

BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
  • THE FABELMANS: A Personal Journey - Steven Spielberg reflects on how THE FABELMANS is inspired by his own personal story and family.
  • Family Dynamics *- Discover how the film's cast brought THE FABELMANS to life as Michelle Williams, Paul Dano, Seth Rogen and more build a bridge between their onscreen personalities and their true-life counterparts.
  • Crafting the World of THE FABELMANS *- From costume and set design to music and cinematography, the filmmakers behind THE FABELMANS reveal how they created movie magic while capturing the film's unique look.
*Not on DVD

FILMMAKERS:
Cast: Michelle Williams, Paul Dano, Seth Rogan, Gabriel LaBelle and Judd Hirsch
Music By: John Williams
Costume Designer: Mark Bridges
Edited By: Michael Kahn ACE and Sarah Broshar
Production Designer: Rick Carter
Director of Photography: Janusz Kaminski
Executive Producers: Carla Raij and Josh McLaglen
Produced By: Kristie Macosko Krieger p.g.a., Steven Spielberg p.g.a., Tony Kushner p.g.a.
Written By: Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner
Directed By: Steven Spielberg

TECHNICAL INFORMATION 4K UHD:
Street Date: February 14, 2023
Selection Number: 1000823249 (US) / 1000824321 (CDN)
Layers: BD 100
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 1.85:1 Widescreen
Rating: PG-13 for some strong language, thematic elements, brief violence and drug use.
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian and Latin American Spanish
Sound: English (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content), French Canadian (Dolby Digital 5.1), Latin American Spanish (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1)
Run Time: 2 hours 30 minutes

TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAYTM:
Selection Number: 1000822990 (US) / 1000822992 (CDN)
Layers: BD-50
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 1.85:1 Widescreen
Rating: PG-13 for some strong language, thematic elements, brief violence and drug use.
Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian, and Latin American Spanish
Languages/Sound: English (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content), French Canadian (Dolby Digital 5.1), Latin American Spanish (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1)

TECHNICAL INFORMATION DVD:
Selection Number: 1000822989 (US) / 1000822991 (CDN)
Layers: DVD 9
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian, and Latin American Spanish
Languages/Sound: English (Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content), French Canadian (Dolby Digital 5.1), and Latin American Spanish (Dolby Digital 5.1)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back from seeing this. Here’s what I said in the other thread.

Just got back from seeing this. It was a good film not a great film Imo. Based on Spielbergs childhood.

For some reason Michelle Williams performance irked me. Paul Dano was great. As was the actor playing Sammy. Seth Rogan was good too as Uncle Bennie.

I was honestly expecting it to be much better from all the buzz. In the end it was fine. I wanted it to be powerful but instead it was diverting. Oh well

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
By my count, this now easily makes Steven Spielberg the director with the most 4K UHD releases. 16, if I haven't missed any:

- The Fabelmans (2022)
- West Side Story (2021)
- Ready Player One (2018)
- The Post (2017)
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
- War of the Worlds (2005)
- Saving Private Ryan (1998)
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
- Schindler's List (1993)
- Hook (1991)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
- Jaws (1975)

Still so many waiting for a release....

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Still so many waiting for a release....
Speaking of his other films: The Color Purple remake, which Spielberg is producing, is scheduled for release in December. I want to be very clear that I don't have any insider information and don't want to start a rumor or anything. But it would make sense for the original film to get a 4K upgrade around that time to support the new one.

Preordered, but Amazon is showing an estimated street date of 7/1/2023?
I think that is just a placeholder.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has a bad habit of deleting/canceling pre-orders for items that were only placeholders, often days before the item actually comes out.
Good to know. I have not experienced that before. Hopefully they'll update the release date soon and there won't be an issue. I've seen some places say February 7 and other places say February 14, so I'm not sure which one it actually is.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Original post updated with official press release from Universal

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
My wife watched it with me, and felt that it was about me, Could be.
I think a good and relevant film can affect all of us and make us a part of the story. This is a wonderful film. I responded to it from the first scene on.

Thank you.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
This would have made an amazing two disc set of Spielberg would have allowed his his childhood movies to be released on the second disc. I would love to see those.
There are some scenes from his childhood films in the HBO bio on Spielberg. It was amazing how closely some scenes matched! Especially the Camping Trip.
A missed opportunity if they pass on such an obvious bonus. "Senior Ditch Day" would be the best!

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I think of "The Fabelmans" as Spielberg's Phone Home to the movies. As I've said elsewhere. I love this movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It’s been available to rent or purchase for a few weeks now.
It has been available as a $19.99 rental or $24.99 purchase during what the studios call the "premium video on demand" window. This is when they try to charge more because it is a current theatrical release.

I agree the press release could be worded more clearly. I could be totally wrong about this. But if I'm understanding this correctly, I think this means that on January 17, it will lose the premium pricing. If it follows the same pattern as other Universal releases, the purchase price will be $19.99 and the rental option will disappear. It doesn't appear that the extras are available digitally right now. They should be on January 17. Then, either when the disc comes out or shortly after, rentals will kick in again for +/- $5.99.

This is a normal part of the release cycle since Universal has collapsed the theatrical window. The reason that the major theater chains agreed to a short window policy is because Universal agreed to cut them in on an undisclosed percentage of the premium rental fees. Once they drop the premium pricing and treat it like a regular movie, Universal shouldn't need to split those profits with theaters anymore.

On another note, I understand why we as fans would be curious to see Spielberg's actual home movies, but it was already intensely personal for him to even make this movie and put it out in the world. I can't blame him for wanting to keep those things private. I'm not sure if I would want stuff I wrote from when I was a teenager to be made public, and I'm not even a public figure like he is. It's also possible that some of the people in his early films, particularly the Senior Ditch Day one, might not want the actual film to be made publicly available. They weren't being directed by the world's preeminent director when he made that. He was just a kid shooting a documentary to be shown at school. Recreating his films with actors for use in this one is different from actually putting movies that involve other people on the disc.

In any cane, this is about what I expected to get from a slate of extras for this title.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
On another note, I understand why we as fans would be curious to see Spielberg's actual home movies, but it was already intensely personal for him to even make this movie and put it out in the world. I can't blame him for wanting to keep those things private. I'm not sure if I would want stuff I wrote from when I was a teenager to be made public, and I'm not even a public figure like he is.
Yeah, it'd probably be like a great band putting out their earliest demo tapes from when they were teenagers. They might not be that good overall and they might be creatively embarrassing but they have historical value in seeing the beginnings of a great artist.

Semi-related: I heard an interview with J.J. Abrams where, as a teenager who had won some young filmmaker award, they entrusted him to restore Spielberg's teenage movies (I'm assuming he was transferring them to tape since it was the 80's). He was laughing about how crazy it was that they let some inexperienced kid handle the actual negatives/only copy of these movies.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My 4,000th post!

He won the Golden Globes… is he the front runner now?

I don't follow the GGs closely, but my impression is there's not a great correlation between GG win and Oscar win.

If you look at the last 10 years, 6 of the 20 winners - since they have two separate "Best Picture" categories - have gone on to win BP Oscars.

So it doesn't hurt, but it's obviously no guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks