What's new

Twilight Zone - The Movie...where is it? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I asked about it, and a list of other titles, on the WB HTF chat...they just said "we are considering them," which is the most vague answer ever...so do not use the chat as evidence that it may be coming out.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
This may be off topic but just thought id mention it. The New Twilight Zone series makes its debut wednesday at 9pm on UPN after the season premiere of enterprise.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
A fav flick of mine which I'd love to own on DVD. I wish WB would get rollin' with their catalog titles.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I also wish this would hit DVD.
I'm not too suprised, though, that WB didn't worry about tying in a DVD release of this with the new version of the show:
  • Even though the new show is being done by WB subsidiary New Line, I believe NL is trying to be as independant from WB as possible these days (witness the no-more-snappers thing); a move made possible by LotR! :D
  • Warner's network, the WB, isn't the one airing the new show. It's being carried on UPN, as pointed out, and follows Enterprise
  • And why shouldn't it? Trek alumni Ira S. Behr is majorly involved as co-exec producer. The new series' pilot is helmed by Jonathan "Riker" Frakes!
  • Other co-exec or exec producers come from non-WB shows like Millenium/Lone Gunmen, Dark Skies, and New Outer Limits.
Nah, I think WB couldn't care too much about the success or failure of this 2nd attempt to revive TZ on TV. So they would not push a DVD now to help push the new show.
On the other hand, if it really takes off, them might fast-track a DVD of the movie in order to cash in on the success of the other one. Studios can be sneaky that way! ;)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Well I'm getting sick of waiting for Twilight Zone Movie coming out on DVD.

Of all the other shit they've released on DVD why not this title.

I guess picking up an LD of it on Ebay will be my only choice to avoid a VHS viewing of this movie. To make matters worse, I've only seen P&S versions on LD.

And while we're discussing WB DVD titles we really need a remastered version of The Right Stuff. The video isn't bad on the current release but the sound is hideous.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Maybe Warner should sell the rights to Image, who controls the distribution rights for everything else Zone-related.
Couldn't help but notice that fellow a couple posts up got his wish regarding "The Right Stuff". :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I love TZ-The Movie, I can't understand why WB haven't released it yet, segments directed by Steven Spielberg, John Landis, Joe Dante and George Miller.
The best bit is Miller's redoing of the 60's episode 'Nightmare at 20,000ft', an excellent performance by John Lithgow as a nervous passenger on a plane who sees a gremlin tearing up one of the engines, and no one believes him. William Shatner played the part in the original. Jerry Goldsmith's score is superb.
With or without extras someone please release this movie on dvd, so I can get rid of my old fuzzy vhs copy.:)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Warner Brothers? Are you listening?

I just rented this flick on VHS the other day and after watching the grainy, faded and crappy picture quality, I was reminded about how badly I want a crisp and clean looking DVD of it. Oh! and a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix too please.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Warner Brothers? Are you listening?

I just rented this flick on VHS the other day and after watching the grainy, faded and crappy picture quality, I was reminded about how badly I want a crisp and clean looking DVD of it. Oh! and a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix too please.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well I'm getting sick of waiting for Twilight Zone Movie coming out on DVD. Of all the other shit they've released on DVD why not this title.
Warner Bros has been releasing dozens and dozens of extraordinary DVD editions on an almost monthly basis. One man's "shit" is another's treasure, I guess. I happen to think that, aside from the final episode, the TZ movie is shit. To say nothing of the fact that it is tainted by three horrible deaths on set and a remarkably arrogant and uncaring response from director John Landis.

That said, I am surprised this hasn't yet surfaced on DVD, but have no doubt that it will.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well I'm getting sick of waiting for Twilight Zone Movie coming out on DVD. Of all the other shit they've released on DVD why not this title.
Warner Bros has been releasing dozens and dozens of extraordinary DVD editions on an almost monthly basis. One man's "shit" is another's treasure, I guess. I happen to think that, aside from the final episode, the TZ movie is shit. To say nothing of the fact that it is tainted by three horrible deaths on set and a remarkably arrogant and uncaring response from director John Landis.

That said, I am surprised this hasn't yet surfaced on DVD, but have no doubt that it will.

BradD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
Were all the episodes in the movie remakes of old TZ shows? I know the "Nightmare at 20,000ft" episode was (I believe the original had William Shatner in it). Also, I believe the "It's a Good Life" episode was a remake as well.

BradD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
Were all the episodes in the movie remakes of old TZ shows? I know the "Nightmare at 20,000ft" episode was (I believe the original had William Shatner in it). Also, I believe the "It's a Good Life" episode was a remake as well.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
Where all the episodes in the movie remakes of old TZ shows? I know the "Nightmare at 20,000ft" episode was (I beleive the original had William Shatner in it). Also, I beleive the "It's a Good Life" episode was a remake as well.
"Nightmare", "Good Life" and "Kick the Can" were remakes of original Twilight Zone episodes. The Morrow segment was a John Landis original. I think in an old Twilight Zone magazine article, he said the title of the story was "Time Out."

I believe the hitchhiker opening was based on an old campfire story. Or maybe it was another Landis story. Can't remember.

Andrew

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
Where all the episodes in the movie remakes of old TZ shows? I know the "Nightmare at 20,000ft" episode was (I beleive the original had William Shatner in it). Also, I beleive the "It's a Good Life" episode was a remake as well.
"Nightmare", "Good Life" and "Kick the Can" were remakes of original Twilight Zone episodes. The Morrow segment was a John Landis original. I think in an old Twilight Zone magazine article, he said the title of the story was "Time Out."

I believe the hitchhiker opening was based on an old campfire story. Or maybe it was another Landis story. Can't remember.

Andrew

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I think Warner has done a great job with their classics, one of the best studios. True, they are a little slow, they could easily double their output, but when I see such awesome mastering jobs as Auntie Mame, Singing in the Rain, and most of their other classics, I would rather wait for them to do it right. I read somewhere that some of these films take a long time to locate really good elements. It isn't like the old days where they threw a print together and put it out on tape of laserdisc, they are searching for quality masters to make high-def transfers first then dvd's from that. The good news is that when HD DVD hits (hopefully Blue Ray), there will be many titles ready to go.

Still, no excuse for the lack of the Twilight Zone movie. This title certainly would sell more than some of the B titles they have put out. Another Warner title I LONG FOR is "Mame." I hated Lucy in it, but some of the dancing scenes and the orchestrations are awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks