What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Let’s look at, The Dead Zone. By 1983, David Cronenberg had become associated with the horror genre through his bold and audacious style with films like Shivers (1975), Rabid (1977), The Brood (1979) and Scanners (1981). Following the completion of Videodrome, Cronenberg had been hired by the maverick producer Dino De Laurentiis to take the helm – after names like Stanley Donen, Michael Cimino and John Badham were considered – of the film adaptation of Stephen King’s epic novel The Dead Zone. Previously released on both DVD and Blu-ray by Paramount and in a Collector’s Edition Blu-ray by Scream Factory, the latter has brought the film back and given it a brand new UHD Blu-ray release.

The Dead Zone (1983)

Released: 21 Oct 1983
Rated: R
Runtime: 103 min...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the review, Mychal! I've been wondering how the 4K release turned out, and it sounds like a definite buy for me. My favorite Stephen King film adaptation, and classic creepy Cronenberg.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wife got it for me for Christmas! Love this film.

Ga-ZEE-Bo. 👁️👁️

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Great review. It was a Xmas gift for me as it’s one of my favorite King adaptions. Haven’t watched it yet but glad to hear it looks terrific. I was concerned how much better this would look compared to the Shout/Scream.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I was too until I saw how much better the 4K looks. Wow! What an improvement over the SF bluray.
Interesting; in what ways? I mean, the SF 1080p presentation wasn't the be-all, end-all of catalog releases and was far from reference, but I thought it suited the material and story just fine.

I grew up with the film and remember taping it off some channel to watch on VHS whenever I wanted, but I'm not exactly a diehard fan.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Resolution. Colors. Less compression than the 1080p version (which was fine). Overall better in every way.
This film was never really dripping in color, so that's surprising; for as much as I watch the film, I can stick with the Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks