What's new

What were your best bargains for Home Video Purchases? (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
When shopping for box sets what were the best bargains you ran into and purchases? Among mine where I got all three versions of The Twilight Zone for half-price. Deep discount had all three of them in a BOGO sale a few years ago, It was like buying the original series and they tossed in the other two for free. :D Three years ago I ran across nearly every Japanese monster movie (That's Godzilla, Rodan, & Mothra among others for those of you in Rio Linda! :laugh:) ever made by Toho for $2.00 at a yard sale. :eek: The best bargain occurred a week later when I picked off four Star Trek series ( The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise for $25.00 each at another yard sale.:banana:My mother nearly flipped her lid on both occasions when I returned home with all those videos taking nearly all the space available on my scooter, I responded by saying "When you're hot you're HOT!" :rock:What were your best bargains?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
When shopping for box sets what were the best bargains you ran into and purchases? Among mine where I got all three versions of The Twilight Zone for half-price. Deep discount had all three of them in a BOGO sale a few years ago, It was like buying the original series and they tossed in the other two for free. :D Three years ago I ran across nearly every Japanese monster movie (That's Godzilla, Rodan, & Mothra among others for those of you in Rio Linda! :laugh:) ever made by Toho for $2.00 at a yard sale. :eek: The best bargain occurred a week later when I picked off four Star Trek series ( The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise for $25.00 each at another yard sale.:banana:My mother nearly flipped her lid on both occasions when I returned home with all those videos taking nearly all the space available on my scooter, I responded by saying "When you're hot you're HOT!" :rock:What were your best bargains?

Mine was, for one, when I got the first two seasons' worth (1957-59) of Have Gun, Will Travel at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville, each for $10 (though I didn't get them both at the same time; I got the first one, and then when I discovered how good of a series that was then on CBS, I got the second one sometime later).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Everything listed was purchased new, in shrink wrap, from reputable vendors.
All are DVD unless otherwise indicated.

Monty Python's Flying Circus
- Megaset - $15
Star Trek Voyager - $8/season
Monk - Complete series - $10
Land of the Giants - $40
I Love Lucy - Complete series - $10
Star Trek: TOS - Complete series remastered - $10
The Fugitive: Most Wanted Edition - $15
Thriller (Boris Karloff) - $55
It Takes a Thief - Complete series - $45
As Time Goes By - Complete Series - $50
Parks & Recreation - Complete Series - $20
Family Ties - Complete series - $25
Three's Company - Complete series - $35
Becker - Complete series - $30
Rawhide - Complete series - $65
Benny Hill - Complete Megaset - $35
Naked City - Complete series - $25
Rumpole of the Bailey - Complete series - $35
Red Dwarf - Complete collection - $50
The Phil Silvers Show - Complete series - $20

Lost in Space - Complete series BR - $45
Dick Van Dyke - Complete series BR - $55
The Twilight Zone - Complete series BR - $55
Battlestar Galactica - Definitive Collection BR - $25

Region free BR from Amazon.uk
Warehouse 13 - Complete series - $20
Star Trek:TOS - Complete series - $65
Star Trek:TAS - $10
Star Trek: Enterprise - Complete series - $45
Battlestar Galactica - Complete series (the 2004 series) - $20
Deadwood - Complete series - $15

Region free BR from Amazon.it
Batman - Complete series - $30

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Charlie's Angels (complete series) $30 on Amazon
The Phil Silvers Show (complete from Shout) $20 on Amazon Canada
The complete Columbia House VHS set of The Beverly Hillbillies in wonderful near mint condition (30 tapes/3 episodes per tape) for around $50. I offered a very low-ball best offer to the lady on eBay figuring she'd never accept. I felt bad after I'd paid for it as she explained she had cancer and was selling off assets to pay for treatment. :(

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
About 10 years ago I was at a music/video discount store when I saw the first 3 Bond films released on laserdisc by Criterion. Shortly after releasing the first 3 James Bond films (Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger) on Laserdisc in a 2-disc CAV format in 1991, Criterion was asked by EON Productions (Producers of the James Bond Films) to recall all unsold laserdisc product. Producer Albert R. Broccoli felt that the audio commentary tracks on the 3 titles where unacceptable. Got all three hard to find titles for $45 and still have them.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Too many to list!
Some of the best deals on DVD sets I got were from the Second Spin brick and mortar stores. I would frequent 2 of their stores in Los Angeles once a week. This was at the height of the DVD craze when it seemed like every Tuesday, a new TV show was coming out on DVD. They always were stocked with used sets which were probably advanced copies or screeners sent to reviewers in advance of street date. Most of them looked brand new, but because they were missing the shrink wrap, they had to be called, used. Occasionally, there was a punch hole over the UPC bar code, but that never bothered me like some people because they were usually half-priced. I saved money so I could afford my hobby.
That, and of course the Big Lots/Warner Bros. dump: season sets ranging from $3 to $6.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Probably the best deal I can remember was a mistake where Best Buy had a sale at the same time as the studio. Best Buy had a special deal where all seasons of "24" were on sale for $16 each, and the studio had a deal where if you buy the special season one tin you get each additional season for $15 off. Obviously, not the result best Buy was looking for. I believe I got the first six seasons for around $22 total. Now, I had no intention of complaining if my Best Buy did not honor the deal as presented, but since they did, I had a hard time passing on it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Since 2 of the four Filmation "live action" sets are OOP they are EXPENSIVE. :eek: A few years ago I picked the first three for around $30.00, I also got the WA Shazam! for about 30.00 as well. :D Space Academy can be had for about $30.00. $120.00 will get you the Filmation Live Action set containing Secrets of Isis, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command, for an extra $27.00 will get you Shazam!

PS Since I was one of the first to get SHAZAM! I got them on pressed disks! :D

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Since 2 of the four Filmation "live action" sets are OOP they are EXPENSIVE. :eek: A few years ago I picked the first three for around $30.00, I also got the WA Shazam! four about 30.00 as well. :D Space Academy can be had for about $30.00. $120.00 will get you the Filmation Live Action set containing Secrets of Isis, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command, for an extra $27.00 will get you Shazam!

PS Since I was one of the first to get SHAZAM! I got them on pressed disks! :D
Space Academy just started jumping in price, I haven't seen it under $90 sealed anywhere. All the BCI stuff is long OOP, and terribly expensive sealed. The Shazam I have both pressed, and burned discs(So I could get both covers, and 2 sets.

EDIT: Just checked on Space Academy, and yeah it's $30. That is so weird, I have been checking to get a second copy for months, and never found it close to $30 sealed.

Last edited:

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Complete Twilight Zone (Image BR Set) $6.
Complete King of Queens DVD $2.
Star Wars Episodes 1-6 BR Set $2.

Almost all of my deals come from pawn shops or thrift stores. The single best deal ever was the TZ Set, this was bought at a time when it was OOP so $6 was incredible. And what a beautiful set it is. I’ve been slowing working my way through it, in the middle of season 4.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
For me, the complete four-season Naked City for $25.49 (inexplicable pre-release price at Amazon). I'd been anxious to get the whole series after getting the mixed early releases a few years earlier, so I would have happily paid $100 or so for it. (Now can someone do that with The Defenders?)

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Naked City for $25.

If I recall correctly, didn't this begin as a typo on the Walmart website? Someone meant to enter $125, but instead entered $25.

Automated price-matching software at Amazon dropped their price to match Walmart's. It was two or three days before the price was corrected. By then it was too late! I had already placed my order!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Mine was actually less than free. I purchased one from Amazon and one from WM. I then did a trade-in for the extra to Amazon for ~$40. I had to wait a while on that as Amazon kept their trade-in price in the ~$25 range for quite some time but it eventually went up and I jumped on it.

I did something similar with the newer Brady Bunch all-in-one set but purchased both from Target during a B1G1 sale for ~$40 and then did an Amazon trade-in for $40 on one of them making my copy essentially free.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I just picked up the complete I Dream of Jeannie at Best Buy for $19.99. Thought that was a great deal, but turns out Amazon has it a dollar cheaper. Meh, that extra dollar was worth "in my hand now" as opposed to "two day shipping."

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Naked City for $25.

If I recall correctly, didn't this begin as a typo on the Walmart website? Someone meant to enter $125, but instead entered $25.

Automated price-matching software at Amazon dropped their price to match Walmart's. It was two or three days before the price was corrected. By then it was too late! I had already placed my order!

DOH!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks