What's new

tvshowsondvd.com is down (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have been visiting Tvshowsondvd.com for 17 years. I rarely missed a day checking their site. I am very passionate about collecting shows on DVD, and loved the news of upcoming shows being released on disc.

Gord, and Dave ran an excellent site, and it will be missed. I'm crushed.:(

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Like others, I checked TVshowsonDVD on a daily basis. I have no use at all for "social media" even if it's just checking any such site for news. I use adblockers. These sites pretty much require them to be disabled just to read news and then track you. No thanks. I'll do with what I get here and other places.

Thanks for the memories guys. You'll be missed!

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Honestly, aside from the occasional major or unexpected Bluray release, there "has" been a notable lack of major/exciting/unusual DVD news (along the lines of, say, the 60s BATMAN release to DVD + Blu) to lure visitors to the site in recent months and years... Most of the "holy grail" shows and the most popular shows - eg. Dick Van Dyke, Carol Burnett, Miami Vice, Moonlighting, Happy Days, etc. - are now out (with some being repackaged/ reissued for the third or fourth time).
Sorry to see TVshowsonDVD go.. The site contained, amonst other stuff, a fine database listing every important Tv series of this + the last century with info about whether a given show is officially/ semi-officially represented, however meagerly or abundantly, on DVD or Bluray. Is it possible Gord & Dave could somehow preserve this/ keep it updated, either via site merger (with, say, TV Guide, DigitalBits, EW), a new site, FB page or the like?

Last edited:

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
At least they're still going to be on the Facebook and Twitter pages but i too will miss that site as i always frequented it every single day for new releases and such. Hoping they can keep it up on those social media platforms.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
You guys are making me tear up (honestly).

One thing about selling something, anything really, is that you lose control of it. We've had tons of suggestions of what should or could be done with the site, but it's out of my/our hands. Maybe something will change in the future, but I doubt it. Much like you guys, I'm saddened that the information the site contained is offline.

Also, I want to set low expectations as to our social media presence going forward; there's no possible way we could duplicate what we were doing on the site over on Twitter/Facebook. I really have no idea what form it will take.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Had a feeling it was going bye-bye.

Oh well...

Same here, I knew something was fishy with this 'down for maintenance' notice as the site was down too long. Having said that though, reading the notice on the site this evening was quite a shock and hit me like a ton of bricks.

This is a huge blow for me as I visited this site daily looking for news on new releases. TVShowsonDVD was my main resource for TV on DVD release info, now its gone.I guess the writing was on the wall with the decline in TV on DVD releases in recent years, not to mention the purchase of the site by TV Guide a while back. Thanks to Gord & Dave for creating this awesome site all those years ago and for keeping it going as long as you did. Is there some reason you cannot keep the site up just so people have access to the huge database of releases that you created?!

Like others, I am not into this social media stuff, so I won't be making the move to those pages. However, I don't see the point of keeping these social media pages going, if they don't plan on posting news on a regular basis?!

For my fellow TV on DVD aficionados, I want to let you know that I my lists will continue to be updated on a monthly basis. Also, I post monthly updates on another site that I am involved with so for those interested check out the following link on the first of the month (this is when I post the updates): http://discuss.channelcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?15-Retro-TV.

Of course posting these updates will now be a bit tougher having lost my main source of new release info. Guess I will have to resort to scouring Amazon for updates on upcoming releases.

Last edited:

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Thank you Gord and Dave for all the years of dedication to your site. It will definitely be missed!!! In fact it was part of my daily routine. I would clean up my desk at work and just a little after 6:00 p.m. (Chicago time), before I hit the road back home, I would check your site because I knew around that time was when the new "news" would be posted. Your breaking up my routine guys!!! LOL :) I sincerely also want to thank you guys for the great email correspondences we've had in the past (me asking questions or giving you guys a heads up on something I would find for you to post on the site). You guys made it personal to a lot of the folks responding on this feed. I do have Facebook and Twitter, so I will try to keep up with you guys there. But truthfully it just won't be the same. :( Take care you two!!! And thank you again for what you guys did for all of us here on the forum!!!

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Also, I want to set low expectations as to our social media presence going forward; there's no possible way we could duplicate what we were doing on the site over on Twitter/Facebook. I really have no idea what form it will take.

This may sound silly, but how about a ebook/ digital book, i.e. compatible with Kindle, Kobo etc, which could be updated with new entries/ info every so often?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I didn't read the reason for this but I can guess. They got a nice piece of change to sell the site, just like the guy who the excellent Jump The Shark site and Locate TV. It will be greatly missed and there will no longer be a place to check on a show as to if it ever came out or not.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Sorry if I'm gonna be the only one to say this, but I'm a pretty blunt person anyway:

Yes, I'm going to miss the website, it was a daily browse for me, BUT I'm extremely disappointed with the way the situation was handled.

All this time we were led to believe that the site was down for maintenance, and we all thought, well maybe they hit a technical hitch, but it's all OK.

Now, all of a sudden you come out and say "that's all folks". No explanation, nothing.

It feels like the Facebook page all over again, when it just disappeared into thin air out of the blue.

I am really going to miss the website, but to me, the situation was very, very poorly handled.

Best of luck to you guys.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
^Me too.

Also, about not using social media. I'm not a fan of it but you can use the sites without actually signing up (like I do)...you just won't be able to comment or post, etc..
not true on FB you have to sign up, and given all that has transpired i don't blame anyone if they don't want too

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
While I echo everyone's disappointment, to be honest I can count on one hand the number of announcements on the site over the last 6-12 months that meant I was about to expand my DVD collection. I still checked every day hoping for the best - a "Family" release finally? More Love Boat? Release date for Mr. Novak? Brady Bunch on blu-ray? But most visits lasted about ten seconds and ended in disappointment. The site was an invaluable resource at one time, but at this point it's not a hard habit to break.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks