What's new

tvshowsondvd.com is down (1 Viewer)

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
I am very sorry to see tvshowsondvd go. It was a great site. I don’t know the reasons but it didn’t surprise me. I did not really buy the maintenance story. It just didn’t fit. One thing I will say (although I am speculating) is that Gord’s statement about the owners and it is out of his hands are not contradictory. There are many different levels of leadership in these sorts of companies and while the owners do get final say, I doubt that it was them who came up with the decision. Some middle manager probably made some recommendation and gave it to the owners. Also, keep in mind that through the years the website has really not changed much. With the changes in owners that is astounding that the website was not required to be “fixed” or “improved.” Lastly, while I am saddened by the closure, I am not surprised. As Gord has even said news has been lessening for awhile. Yes we have major releases every once in a while but it has definitely lessened compared to a decade ago. The daily news was light and even then sometimes not really news (such as amazon has a preorder up for a current tv show but no release date yet or something is being rereleased). The number of dvd tv titles released has changed. As was said in an earlier post many, many, many tv shows have been released in their entirety. Most of these shows were the most popular and would be the most profitable (combined with easiest) to release. While there are shows remaining there are not as many as before and many of them do not have the same fan base. For example, yes Step By Step is popular and long awaited but is it at the same popularity level as I Love Lucy, or Bewitched, or Friends? Or many of the other big shows released? Also while there are some shows that are bigger that have not been released there are usually reasons that are well known, such as music rights, and will probably never see the light of day. This leaves a few remaining big shows that do not fit the previous statements. Combine all of this with streaming and that makes the outlook for good daily news 365 days a year (minus weekends) indefinitely very bleak and impossible. In the end it would have gone downhill further and I hate it when things end on a low note. The only thing that is really sad is instead of just no longer updating the site and just leaving all the information contained in it online up for reference, it was closed completely (I don’t know why but my guess is they didn’t want to spend money or server space keeping it up?).
To sum it up, I am sad the website is gone but at least it is going out while it is still good and not when it has hit rock bottom.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Also while there are some shows that are bigger that have not been released there are usually reasons that are well known, such as music rights, and will probably never see the light of day.

Is that why we might never see the remainder of Knots Landing (seasons 3-14, 1981-93)?

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
Is that why we might never see the remainder of Knots Landing (seasons 3-14, 1981-93)?
I’m not sure (I’m not familiar with the show). It could be, but my point was that a lot of the shows that have been stalled or not released have reasons (the most common I see are music rights, fighting over the rights of the show, or lower sales/sales not as high as studio wants) although there are a select few that still do not fit.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
Which is, I believe, why Seinfeld has had all of its seasonal releases, and at least two versions of an all-in-one, while Who's The Boss and Silver Spoons have been stalled out after only one go.
I agree (although I still hope for Who’s The Boss, I love that show!)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So, during the maintenance your owner just said - hey guys, you know what? How about we pull the plug. I mean the website is down anyway....
I don't want to put words in Gord's mouth, but my (completely uninformed) guess is this:

A new set of European Union regulations, the General Data Protection Regulation, just went into effect. The GDPR results in substantial changes to how personally identifiable information is handled on the Internet. This in turn has a significant impact on how internet advertising works. At the time the site went down the parent company of the site probably thought they had a way to comply with the regulations while keeping the site profitable. At some point several days into it, it was probably determined that it couldn't be done, or at least not at a cost effective price point

Too bad the website is no more, because as I said it was a daily browse for me, but as a customer I can't help but feel very disappointed in the way this was all handled.
The word "customer" implies that you paid money for the service. TV Shows on DVD was a free, ad-supported service. So you're certainly entitled to your disappointment, but I don't think Gord or Dave owed us anything. I'm appreciative of all the many years of hard work they put into it.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I got an email today saying that my log in at TSOD may have been compromised. It reads in part:

On May 21, 2018, we determined that between January and May 2018, an unauthorized party had gained access to information submitted by users to TVShowsonDVD. As a result, certain registration information that you submitted to the site, which may have included your name, username, password, or date of birth, may have been compromised. If you used the same password for TVShowsonDVD.com for other websites, we strongly recommend you change those passwords and monitor your accounts for any suspicious activity. Please note that we will never email you a direct link to update your settings or ask for your password...

I got that same email, and at first I was surprised because I couldn't remember ever being on the site. Then I remembered that I may have posted in one of the forums once, but I can't remember what password I used so
I won't be able to change the password at sites where I've used the same one. :angry:

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
I didn't get that email some are talking about.

I'm also assuming it had something to do with the new internet rule thing. I'm getting a lot of new privacy policy emails lately.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I didn't get that email some are talking about.

I'm also assuming it had something to do with the new internet rule thing. I'm getting a lot of new privacy policy emails lately.

No, this was about a data breach:

Subject: Important: Notice of Security Breach
Date: May 25, 2018 8:13 AM

"
Dear TVShowsonDVD user,

We are writing to alert TVShowsonDVD users to a recent security incident that may have involved some of your personal information. We recently learned of a potential security incident involving TVShowsonDVD.com and immediately launched an investigation.

On May 21, 2018, we determined that between January and May 2018, an unauthorized party had gained access to information submitted by users to TVShowsonDVD. As a result, certain registration information that you submitted to the site, which may have included your name, username, password, or date of birth, may have been compromised. If you used the same password for TVShowsonDVD.com for other websites, we strongly recommend you change those passwords and monitor your accounts for any suspicious activity. Please note that we will never email you a direct link to update your settings or ask for your password.

We take the security of our users very seriously and have decided to take the site permanently offline.

If you have further questions you can reach out to the team here: [email protected]

Sincerely,

The TVShowsonDVD team"

Last edited:

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, this does indeed suck. I do not use Facebook or Twitter for anything. I don't belong and really have no use for them. I guess, like several here, I will just have to get new release news here. Very, very sorry to see the site go. I too was a daily reader. Thanks for the memories and all of the hard work over the years.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Besides folks doing semi-random searches on upcoming tv on dvd titles (ie. via amazon, etc ....) and posting them on this "TV on DVD and Bluray" subthread, what other options are there for such news?

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Put me down as another one sad to hear of the sites demise. I frequently visited the site to get the latest info on upcoming tv releases.

Goodbye, you will be missed.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Besides folks doing semi-random searches on upcoming tv on dvd titles (ie. via amazon, etc ....) and posting them on this "TV on DVD and Bluray" subthread, what other options are there for such news?

There is still “The Digital Bits” (which currently has a homage up to “TVShowsonDVD”:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

The “Release Dates and Artwork” section is invaluable for finding news for both upcoming TV and Movie releases:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/articles/coverart/coverart.php

Granted, the site is mainly focused on movie news. But it’s probably the best thing left out there for physical media releases irrespective of genre or type.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There is still “The Digital Bits” (which currently has a homage up to “TVShowsonDVD”:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

The “Release Dates and Artwork” section is invaluable for finding news for both upcoming TV and Movie releases:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/articles/coverart/coverart.php

Granted, the site is mainly focused on movie news. But it’s probably the best thing left out there for physical media releases irrespective of genre or type.

Added both links to my Speed Dial on Opera!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks