What's new

TV size for 6ft viewing distance (1 Viewer)

Derrick G

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to get a good direct view TV. My viewing distance is only about 6ft. Viewing will be about 60%cable 40% DVD. I've been looking at the Sony XBR450, but am open to suggestions. My main problem is deciding on the right size.
Thanks for you help!
Derrick G

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Hi Derrick:
The quick & simple formula is that your viewing distance (eyes to screen) should be at least 3.5 times your screen height. This only applies to conventional interlaced (480i) TV, not HDTV or line-doubled.
The logic is that for typical 20:20 vision, this is the distance where the interlaced scan lines become visible. So, running the math ...
6' = 72"; thus screen height is 72/3.5 = 20.6"
so ...
for 4:3 conventional TV's --> 35" (or 36") diag. would the maximum recommended.
for 16:9 widescreen TV's --> 42" diag. would be the maximum recommended.
I guess if your vision sucks, you could always go larger (or go lasik)
laugh.gif

Scott

Steve B

Grip
HDTV, Scalers, and progressive scan DVD's make most calculations obsolete. What you need to do is look at the TV your interested in with a good source (since DVD will be much of what you watch, a progressive DVD player is the way to go).
With a good HD source and TV, you can walk almost up to the screen before seeing annoying scan lines. You can watch a Pioneer 710 from about 6 feet with an HD source and be very happy (64" screen 16:9 TV).
Steve
------------------

nousername

Supporting Actor
Luke_A wrote:
Hey MickeS, what program do you use to open that file?
You need Adobe Acrobat Reader. It's free to download at:
Adobe.com

BrentB

Grip
For some reason,even using Adobe Acrobat just gives a bunch of uninteligable lines. Maybe you need to load again.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Derrick,
6 feet from the 36XBR450 is just fine with DVDs and should be fine with digital cable. It's NOT so good with analog cable, however.
I had the Sony WEGA KV-36FV27 for less than two weeks, and I couldn't stand the scan lines from 6-8 feet away with non-anamorphic and full-screen DVDs. I upgraded to the KV-36XBR450 and couldn't be happier. I can sit as close as 4-5 away feet away now and not really see any scan lines, so 6 feet should be fine, providing your source is good.

Derrick G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys! I knew there was a formula for figuring the recommended size, but I couldn't remember it.
Derrick G

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks