What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

TV shows most rare on DVD (1 Viewer)

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
The OOP ADV release of Hercules The Legendary Journeys - S1 is the only place I know of to get the 3 telefilms that preceded the series. Universal chose not to include them in their reprint of S1 and have yet to do an individual release. You *need* those films as they set up several regular characters and some situations referred to in the regular series. Prices fluctuate on this one but is often available in reasonably priced used copies.

If I remember correctly the disc count went down and the compression rate went up with the re-release of both Hercules and Xenia so the older release - which I have of both - is preferable to the new release even if cheaper and more readily available

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Both of the original Laugh-In's can run up into the $200 range. I picked up vol. 1 back in either 2003 or 2004 after I saw an NBC special that had a segment about his series. It wasn't until a few years ago that I finally got vol. 2 for Christmas I believe.

51VMTNYH9HL._SY445_.jpg
51E8BCD8XKL._SY445_.jpg

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Zorro was one of the most frustrating releases. I Disney have that out for an hour and a half. I was ready and snagged a set, but their damned Vault Releases were always far too limited.

Disney Vault and limited time availability is ending with Disney+ streaming but probably won't mean more physical releases

https://screenrant.com/disney-plus-vault-end-physical-media-streaming/amp/

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a26762554/disney-streaming-service-vault-back-catalogue-included/

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
A number of kids shows are hard to find, particularly Sid & Marty Krofft shows like Bugaloos and Lidsville. The Complete Series of the Lone Ranger was only offered in a limited edition and is relatively rare.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Beastmaster complete series

The original release individual season sets were OOP they then released a complete series which if I recall correctly from TvShowsonDVD was recalled as the rights had lapsed - but some pre-orders did get out with high re-sale values - then released in individual season sets again by another distributor which are now OOP too

Attachments

• 9DB8762C-C426-4EBB-9ED8-CB1240AAA7C1.jpeg
    9DB8762C-C426-4EBB-9ED8-CB1240AAA7C1.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 40

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
A number of kids shows are hard to find, particularly Sid & Marty Krofft shows like Bugaloos and Lidsville. The Complete Series of the Lone Ranger was only offered in a limited edition and is relatively rare.

This is best version to get of Pufnstuf to get, I have the Vivendi Entertainment from 2011 and it lacks all of the features from the 2004 Rhino release.

0603497011827_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

Mark Y

Screenwriter
This is best version to get of Pufnstuf to get, I have the Vivendi Entertainment from 2011 and it lacks all of the features from the 2004 Rhino release.

0603497011827_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

The Rhino set has a Jack Wild interview. The Vivendi set has a segment from The Krofft Super Star Hour with a bumper from "The Bay City Rollers Show."

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
It Takes A Thief (Robert Wagner) complete series boxset is now OOP and asking prices of $250 upwards

Attachments

• F0D6E2DC-5085-47CF-AC2A-02FFC8EE509C.jpeg
    F0D6E2DC-5085-47CF-AC2A-02FFC8EE509C.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 44

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The Rhino set has a Jack Wild interview. The Vivendi set has a segment from The Krofft Super Star Hour with a bumper from "The Bay City Rollers Show."

Rhino's set has interviews with just about everyone from the series, a pilot to a series called Irving, and some TV Land TV spots as well. Vivendi's release gave us an un-released segment of Horror Hotel and then of all things, a link to download a coloring book.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Believe it or not, the 2018 single-sided Dallas releases are already getting hard to find, especially the later seasons. I STILL haven't found Season 9 anywhere!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This really good TV movie is pretty expensive now
IMG_1269.JPG

It isn't the best first run syndicated fantasy series, but worth owning if are into these types of shows
IMG_1268.JPG

Pink Lady and Jeff is super cheesy, feels awkward and clunky. But Pink Lady themselves are so cute and charming it almost makes up for this train wreck. Well that and the music. Blondie's "Shayla" is probably the stand out for me.
IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Uh oh, looks like this has become unavailable too

Just about all those 1990s syndicated scifi / genre tv show season sets released by Alliance back in 2010-2012 are already out of print. Apparently Alliance was gobbled up by eOne back in early 2013, where eOne has gradually been exiting the licensing + dvd/bluray market since then.

Nowadays eOne is more interested in original productions and less on licensing, such as buying up Mark Gordon's production studio and making him head of eOne's tv/film productions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Gordon

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Another I was waffling on that went OOP and skyrocketed in price (was ~$15 season one day and $60+ the next).

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World

Seasons 2 & 3 are over $200 each right now with used copies going for $60-$100 minimum.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm really surprised how quickly so many of these sets have gone OOP. If I can boast a little bit, I own the majority of the shows mention here so far. Most I bought used for less than half of the retail price. There are some, like Laugh-In, that I didn't care for and sold off for peanuts! I'm not sure how many people are paying the triple digit sums for these shows.

Here is a follow up question:

What's the most you've paid for a used copy of a single season of a TV series?

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Another I was waffling on that went OOP and skyrocketed in price (was ~$15 season one day and $60+ the next).

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World

Seasons 2 & 3 are over $200 each right now with used copies going for $60-$100 minimum.
Not quite the same but these are available in SD downloads from Amazon for .99 each.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not quite the same but these are available in SD downloads from Amazon for .99 each.
That's $.99/episode or roughly #22/season. They're also available to stream free for Prime members. Like you said - not the same.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Both of the original Laugh-In's can run up into the $200 range. I picked up vol. 1 back in either 2003 or 2004 after I saw an NBC special that had a segment about this series. It wasn't until a few years ago that I finally got vol. 2 for Christmas I believe.

I can't believe, now that the whole series is available, in a boxed set or separately, that these still would command a high price. The only reason one would keep these editions is for the "joke wall" packaging and one of the interview segments (with Hal Erickson) that isn't included in the current editions. (He wrote the Laugh-In book "From Beautiful Downtown Burbank." ) Some might also enjoy the menu screens and the booklets with show history and notes.

Otherwise, all of the episodes are edited from 3-6 minutes from the ones on the complete series set.

I own the majority of the shows mention here so far. Most I bought used for less than half of the retail price. There are some, like Laugh-In, that I didn't care for and sold off for peanuts!

Sacré bleu!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What's the most you've paid for a used copy of a single season of a TV series?

Well to remedy my one mistake I am buying sealed copies of the live action Filmation library on E-Bay. Make no mistake, those sealed copies of Ark II, The Secrets of Isis, etc. never sell for $200 or above. In fact I got a mint sealed copy of The Secrets of Isis (with Best Buy sticker still on it) for $78.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
It Takes A Thief (Robert Wagner) complete series boxset is now OOP and asking prices of $250 upwards

Yes, It Takes A Thief complete series has become quite pricey due to it's OOP status. Count me among those who was late to the party acquiring this, a few months ago I purchased a used set in very good condition on ebay, paid $200 for it. But I'm glad I bought it because I'm really enjoying the episodes, they are presented uncut on the DVD's which makes it all the better. If the set would have edited episodes I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks