What's new

TV ratings question (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Now who is the person who comes up with them, the network, or the company that makes the show. Also why does TCM always give movies that are PG rated a TV-MA. I mean come on Rocky, Jaws, Bullit, Pappion, ect. Don't they show movies that probably deserve a TV-MA rating.

AndrewD

Stunt Coordinator
Usually its the Standards & Practices department of a TV network that rates each show.

As for the other part of your question, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you think TV-MA for those movies you metnioned is too strong a rating or too weak?

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I think they are way too strong. The movie was rated PG in the theaters and it gets a TV-MA on TCM. They should lower their ratings to at least a TV-14 for the majority of those movies.

AndrewD

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan -

I talked to a friend at TCM and she says that its really two different rating systems. The MPAA may may deem something non-offensive (i.e the s*** word), but it may not be appropriate for television audiences. Therefore, since TCM is available on basic cable, and its not pay-tv like HBO, there's a stronger rating for the television broadcast.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
That makes more sense now, plus now they are showing movies with alot more language and violence. Also, will TCM ever own the rights to the James Bond Movies. I would like to see them in OAR and uncut since the DVD is long out of print

AndrewD

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure TBS (and the rest of Turner's networks) lost the rights to Bond late last year. ABC now shows them Saturday nights in the Bond Picture Show. Since ABC is Disney and Turner is AOL/Time Warner, I doubt there will be any kind of arrangement made. It would be nice though.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
ABC is editing the Bond movies.

Conan O'Brien just did a bit making fun of ABC digitally adding a bra to a Bond girl. There was no skin visible at all, yet someone decided to re-do the scene.

After showing a splitscreen of the orginal and ABC footage, Conan just started adding bras and panties to the other Bond characters for the bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks