What's new

Trying to Decide between PS VR and a Switch (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
i'm leaning toward the switch as I think as i think i would use it more, plus with only 1 million sold i don't see a great future for the headset, like most add ons its a tough sell

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
PSVR has sold over 2 million units in about a year and change. That's not gangbusters numbers, but it's actually really good for a $400 add-on to a $400 console. (Those prices are launch prices, you can get both for less, or more, currently.) It has a lot of content and will continue to have a lot of content that I would say justifies the cost for it. However....yeah, the Switch is still probably a better choice.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
As someone who owns a PSVR and loves it, and has no interest in ever buying a Switch, I would say go for the Switch.

If it truly is a 'one-or-the-other' situation, I think the Switch would be the better value. You would get much more use out of the Switch and it will be something you can use casually quite often.

The PSVR is absolutely fantastic, and I love mine, but it is something that you only pick up and play when you're in that mood. Love it or not, it does become sort of a hassle and something you kind of have to plan time out for to use. It's more of an accessory that you'll want to play from time to time, and not a pick up and play anything like the full system a Switch would be.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, I inadvertently found out that Mrs. Claus is bringing me a PSVR this year. I was interested in getting a switch but I think I will wait it out a little more. I never ended up getting much use out of the WiiU and even the original Wii was, let's face it, kind of crappy. Aside from Nintendo's first party AAA games, the Wii had nothing to offer over Sony and Microsoft. In short, I don't want to end up with a glorified "Super Mario Odyessey" machine (I already played BotW on the WiiU). The PSVR thread says mostly good things about it so I think I probably made the right choice.

One other thing to note about the PSVR is that apparently due to the nature of it being stereoscopic 3D blu rays work on it. So might not be a bad option for people who were a little bit interested in 3D but never bothered to get a display, or if something happens to a 3D display you have now and can't replace it due to them no longer being manufactured.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Will - Honestly, the Switch is way more than just a Mario Odyssey machine. I've found that I prefer to get the lower-quality Switch version of games that are on PS4 or Xbox One simply because the portability and versatility of the Switch makes them more enjoyable to play. I've already bought more games for my Switch than I'd imagined, even if it's not a ton (about 10).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Will - Honestly, the Switch is way more than just a Mario Odyssey machine. I've found that I prefer to get the lower-quality Switch version of games that are on PS4 or Xbox One simply because the portability and versatility of the Switch makes them more enjoyable to play. I've already bought more games for my Switch than I'd imagined, even if it's not a ton (about 10).

Yeah, but I'm not the kind of guy who likes to play his games on a tablet sized screen. So that aspect of the switch would be kind of wasted on me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is the Switch connection to a large TV wireless? Or does it require cables from display to seating?

I’m wondering if a Switch could work in a home theater?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Are you more excited to play Zelda and Mario, or to play VR games? That's the answer, and just buy the other one in a year or two. :)

With the seeming slow death of 3D TVs, the PS VR is a nice option for watching 3D BDs. Personally, as someone with less-than-perfect eyesight who's had a mixed experience with 3D in movie theaters, I find the 3D of PSVR to be superior to that of RealD (maybe not IMAX 3D :) ).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Use the holster to create a traditional style controller or, better yet, spend 60 to 70 dollars more and get a quality controller that should have been supplied in the first place. The JoyCons are garbage for anyone with normal hands, especially if they are used without the holster.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If my work travel is as heavy in 2018 as 2017, a Switch might be for me. And being able to use it at home means my wife might play some coop games (as we have with the LEGO games).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
DaveF - the Switch handheld is a tablet with controllers on the side (called JoyCons) that come off of the tablet and can either be used separately (with one in each hand) or plugged into a shell (called the JoyCon Grip) to resemble a more traditional controller.

If you Google "Nintendo Switch" and check out the Images, you'll see what I'm referring to.

You can always use the controllers wirelessly, even in portable mode (the tablet has a kickstand so you can put it upright on a table). Some games let you use each JoyCon as a single controller, with a joystick, 4 face buttons, and two shoulder buttons (which are hidden in the part of the JoyCon that attach to the table or the Grip).

The thing is, the dock is just a glorified HDMI-to-USB-C adapter. I mean, it's a bit more than just an adapter, but the port on the bottom of the Switch tablet is a USB-C and there's a plug from the dock that goes into it to charge the tablet battery, power it, and transmit video/audio to the HDMI cable. There are some third party docks that are really tiny so that they are more portable, but there's a handful of reports of these permanently breaking the USB-C ports, so they're not recommended.

Even counting the dock, the Switch is REALLY portable. Some people have bought multiple docks to place in different rooms in their house (expensive to do, since the extra docks are $90 each) and then moving the console just means popping it in another dock. Even just moving the dock itself to another room or traveling with it is easy because it's pretty light.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My only word of caution is if you play to play Skyrim on the Switch in handheld mode, there is no brightness adjustment for the tablet screen so caves and enclosed rooms with little light tend to be quite dark. Other games are fine, it’s just Skyrim.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
As big a proponent of the PSVR as I am - the Switch offers the better value with the great line up of games it has. For me, portable gaming systems are just not my thing. The screens are too small - including the Switch - as I discovered fooling around with my son's. Using it on a TV is a different story.

Also to add - the PSVR offers more than just PS4 gaming. It can be used with a PC - if you don't mind some tinkering - but what PC experience doesn't involve that? Get Trinus PSVR and in conjunction with Steam and Stream VR - some PC gaming experiences work very well.

Finally, VR gaming has rekindled my interest in gaming more than anything else. 1080P and 4K gaming are nothing compared to VR from my experience. It's a whole other level of immersion.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
To correct my last post a bit: There is a screen brightness adjustment on the Switch but Skyrim in handheld mode is still very dark with brightness all the way up. It’s fine when docked.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A niece got a Switch, so I helped set it up and played a little Mario racing.

I see the appeal. The little joycons for multiplayer mode are super tiny. Not really a great controller in that mode (too small for adults, and the rotation confuses six year olds), but serviceable.

I really don’t like that the wrist lanyard slip ons can so easily be put on upside down and then get jammed. Bad design by Nintendo there.

But overall I liked it. Mario Kart is gorgeous. I played for only a minute or two in portable mode, and the screen was vibrant but with good contrast. The touchscreen seemed competent.

But at $450 for system, games, and minor accessories, it’s far from an impulse buy. I’m not calling it expensive, just full console price. Not a haphazard buy for the amount of gaming I do.

But something to keep in mind for 2018.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks