1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to Decide between PS VR and a Switch

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Scarpa, Dec 13, 2017.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Compared to VR: Switch is portable and social. VR is isolated and solo. The choice depends on how you game.

I’d choose the switch for portable use and a little social gaming with my wife.

2. WillG

WillG Producer

I believe the VR does have a few social games. For example I heard of one where the person wearing the headset is a bomb defuser and the person(s) not wearing the headset have relay instructions that they're getting on the regular TV screen. Stuff like that.

I got a PSVR for xmas and I have to say so far it's pretty wild. If you're interested in a new gaming experience, you're not going to be disappointed.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    That game is Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. I've played the PC version (where the defuser has a laptop and everyone else sits where they can't see the screen), and it's a hoot.

They also have a version of the party game Werewolf for PS VR. I haven't tried it, but I assume that the idea is you're playing online with other PS VR users.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

There are a handful of social games on PS VR and they're generally quite good. But it's still designed mainly as a single-player device. You won't have 3 or 4 people playing the same game all in VR with one headset. The Switch is more social simply by design, though the value in that comes with having friends who enjoy the kinds of social games it offers and the environment to play it in (such as at a party or event, utilizing the portability of the console).

In the end, it really should come down to the kinds of games and experiences you're looking for. PSVR is a peripheral for the PS4 platform that offers relatively-exclusive games. The Switch is an entire new platform that also has a bunch of exclusive games.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    You'll want the pro controller. I play exclusively on that unless I am portable. I probably use mine docked 90% of the time, which is unusual I guess. When portable the Joycons work great tho!

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Is that the included plastic shell that accepts the two joycons to make a normal controller?

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Sam Posten likes this.