What's new

Toshiba 50HX81 Problems (?) (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I just got my Toshiba 50HX81 this week, and I'm finding a persistent ringing around images. It is appearing about .25 inches to the right of an image, and I cannot get rid of it. I've gone through the Avia settings, and it does not seem to diminish. If I change the sharpness level, it will get markedly worse at about 60 and up, but there is no change from 60 to 0. I've changed the settings to "Movie" and adjusted from there, but still no luck. I've ruled out edge enhancement, as this appears on test patterns as well. The test patterns that feature a black grid on a white background show this up the most.
A family member has a Mits 55807, and both setups include a Toshiba 5109 progressive DVD player. I do not see this happening on the Mits.
Overall, the picture on the Toshiba looks very soft (blurry), and this is exacerbated by the ghosting/ringing. Is there any way to cure this (note: there ain't an ISF techinician anywhere near here)? I'm very disappointed at this stage, and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to try return this beast.
frown.gif

-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know. I and others started to report this problem about two weeks ago. For some, it appears that they were just seeing edge enhancement on certain movies but for many of us the problem is visible on many different sources, including different DVD players and even VHS tape (although it is harder to see ANYTHING on tape), at all settings. In particular, it is visible on test material like the VE and AVIA needlepulse and sharpness tests.
Check out
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...&f=21&t=001788
There are some other related posts on the Spot well.
------------------

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dave,
Were you able to fix the problem? I just got my 57HX81 and noticed the same ringing/ghosting around images. It is definitely not a convergence issue, as it is clear and SVM is disabled.
Other than this issue, the set is absolutely amazing
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Mass

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Nope.
angry.gif
The dealer is going to swap the TV out & will be checking the image on the new TV before delivery.
Get this: they checked with the Toshiba authorized repair shop here, but the shop had no room for a big screen tv in the building, so they offered to chain it up to a tree outside!. When they dealer said no way, the repair shop said it was no problem, as they already had 3 chained up!
I'm nervous about getting another Toshiba, as this seems to be a prevalent problem, and IMO completely ruins the picture. I'd like to go with a Mits, but the 50 inch screen is the perfect size for me.
Good luck, and please post your results!
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
This is almost scary. If it weren't for my rotton luck I'd have one of these too, but now I'm beginning to wonder if this is a fluke or it affects all of them. Getting it fixed upon arrival seems to be the way to go.
Has anybody gotten one of these that doesn't have this problem?
Glenn

Han

Second Unit
Glenn,
I'm pretty sure this is a problem for a minority of the owners of the H81 and HX81 series, but make no mistake, it does exist.
We have some pretty knowledgeable users on these forums as well as even ISF technicians. So, I'm willing to believe the people here who have said they checked the usual places (sharpness test patterns, etc.) and didn't see it on their set. But people who have it like myself aren't just making it up either. If a dealer says something like, "That's the first we've heard of that problem." or "We've sold thousands of Toshiba RPTV sets and have never had this issue brought up." Then they either don't know what they're talking about (in general), have less discriminating customers (sometimes likely), or haven't paid attention to what's been going on (very likely). Because as far as I've heard, some xx80 sets had this issue as well, so it's not that new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks