Xbox high def and Halo 2 problem

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GregAK, Jan 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. GregAK

GregAK Agent

I have my Xbox hooked up to my Toshiba 50HX81 RPTV with the high def adapter. My problem is that when I play Halo 2, the top of the screen is cut short so that my left and right weapon status info is mostly cut off. All I can see is the status of the current magazine in the weapon, not the total ammo or type of weapon, etc. This is the case regardless of what mode I set the picture to on my TV. I usually use "full" mode. When I hook it up normal with the yellow video cable, I see the whole picture, but obviously the picture quality suffers drastically and there's no surround sound. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions or solutions??
    Thanks
    Greg

2. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Greg,

Turn on your Xbox without a disk in it, and it should bring up the Xbox menu screen. Under settings, there should be a tab labeled, "Video." Go into that tab, and it will give you the option of letterbox, normal, or widescreen. Perhaps changing it to the aspect ratio of your television will help.

Give it a try, and let us know how it turns out!

Dan

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

This was a common problem at launch for the game. For some reason on some HD sets with progressive scan on, part of the hud gets cut off. There was a fix sent ONLY through xbox live that fixed this within days of launch.

4. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    ^^^ What Sean said.

Use the free trial subscription and download the fix.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Definitely DL the patch...but I thought that only affected vertical splitscreen gaming?

My TV locks in full, and I played H2 for a long while single player without the patch and never had that problem. On vertical splitscreen I had a little bit of the cutoff problem, but not so much because I ISF'd my TV set and it has 4% overscan.

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

No. The vertical split only occurs if your xbox is set to 16:9. For some reason the HUD, no matter what, got cut off on quite a many sets out there when in 480p, yet while in 480i it was all visible.

I never had the problem on my HD, but many others did. And bungie fixed it quick.

7. Brandon T.

Brandon T. Auditioning

Hey everybody, where can you plug in an optical cable on the new HD cable set? I can't find it on mine. It's the one that looks like this:

=-----
    =------
    =-------------------------------[}
    =------/
    =-----/

(Sorry for the craptastic drawing)

Thanks, Brandon

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Brandon, is it the new *official* HD pack (the one made by MS)? If so, I thought the optical plug was near the part that plugs into your XBox (might even be on the back of that part).

I have the old one and had a similar thought when I saw the new one hit the stores, but I think that's where I saw it, though I was looking through the plastic packaging so I could be mistaken...