What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Finally watched Avengers: Infinity War 3D yesterday. Excellent 3D. I'll be sad if/when we can no longer get Marvel films in 3D. The more recent titles seem to consistently have some of the best 3D.

Didn't get to watch Spider-Verse 3D this weekend. Maybe through the week some night if I'm not too tired.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Those are the different titles it goes by in different countries. As you can see from the picture on the cover of my disc, there was no indication of it being for kids.
It was that “for all ages” tagline that made me think kids. Where’d you order it from?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Theatrical 3D isn't dead yet. Variety reports on one of the many box office records broken by Avengers: Endgame this weekend:

Biggest 3D Sale: An estimated $540 million in worldwide ticket sales was generated by the 3D format.

That's 45% of the $1.2 billion total. Prior record holder was Avengers: Infinity War at $366 million.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just for kicks, I was following showtimes at my closest theater, and every single 2D and 3D showing of Endgame there sold out from Thursday to Sunday evening.

What I’m wondering is this - did the 3D version sell this well because there was a high demand to see it specifically in 3D, or, did 2D versions sell out first and people decided that they’d rather see it now in 3D rather than waiting for later 2D showings.

My guess is that it’s a mix of both.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just for kicks, I was following showtimes at my closest theater, and every single 2D and 3D showing of Endgame there sold out from Thursday to Sunday evening.

What I’m wondering is this - did the 3D version sell this well because there was a high demand to see it specifically in 3D, or, did 2D versions sell out first and people decided that they’d rather see it now in 3D rather than waiting for later 2D showings.

My guess is that it’s a mix of both.
Possibly it played a role, but anecdotally around here there are fewer 3D screenings than 2D (one theater has two 3D vs. nine 2D shows per day; another is 5 vs 8; the shoebox theaters locally are not offering 3D at all). To generate that high a percentage, I'd think audiences would have to specifically be seeking out the 3D option. These are also based on worldwide figures, of which 3D is possibly more popular outside the U.S.

Also, since 3D is an extra surcharge at most theaters, I'd wonder if many people would simply switch over like that?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Possibly it played a role, but anecdotally around here there are fewer 3D screenings than 2D (one theater has two 3D vs. nine 2D shows per day; another is 5 vs 8; the shoebox theaters locally are not offering 3D at all). To generate that high a percentage, I'd think audiences would have to specifically be seeking out the 3D option. These are also based on worldwide figures, of which 3D is possibly more popular outside the U.S.

Also, since 3D is an extra surcharge at most theaters, I'd wonder if many people would simply switch over like that?

Just looking at my Metro -- 2D outnumbers 3D screening 4:1. Looking at seating charts/showtimes, the 2D are substantially more sold out than 3D (over the next 5-7 days, not the last 4 since most of those were near sold out across the board). Personally I;m questioning the whole 45% 3D numbers. I know 3D theaters don;t outnumber 2D in most of EU and at least some parts of non-Chinese Asia. I just can't seen how those numbers are even possible given the number of total seats available,. I seriously wonder if if some theaters that are 3D capable but showing 2D screening are being recorded as 3D sales.

I've also read a handful of people here and Bluray who don't really care, but chose the 3D showing b/c tickets were available./better seats/less crowded. Probably not enough to make a huge difference in overall numbers, but there were some of those around.

Locally pretty much all of the Dolby Cinema shows are sold out or at least of any seats I'd sit in through Sunday or Monday. IMAX 2D seats are over 50% sold and Imax 3D about 25-30% last night. Imax 2D showing 4:1 over Imax 3D, DC about 5:1 different in number of showtimes.

I'm seeing the Avengers this Thursday in IMAX 3D. I hope it is released on Blu-Ray in 3D (probably in the UK).

Already with preorders in UK including a couple Premium packages already sold out and it seems a couple other countries are listed even if not accepting orders.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Pretty good 3D, a good story line, but the audio was like Disney, had to turn it up. A good addition for your collection. Mine was Region B locked. :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

91-TCRgpjvL._SX425_.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched Spider-Verse tonight in 3D. Some of the film's design style choices were not really conducive to 3D at times, but overall it looked very good. Though given its attempts to emulate a comid book, it might be just fine in 2D.

The text boxes were such a miniscule part of the film I can't believe anyone would actually complain about them, let alone demand a refund. I think they literally popped up only 6-8 times and in every instance except once or twice they were also spoken out loud by Morales. Some of them were also so small you couldn't read them anyway, regardless of the language.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Watched Spider-Verse tonight in 3D. Some of the film's design style choices were not really conducive to 3D at times, but overall it looked very good. Though given its attempts to emulate a comid book, it might be just fine in 2D.

The text boxes were such a miniscule part of the film I can't believe anyone would actually complain about them, let alone demand a refund. I think they literally popped up only 6-8 times and in every instance except once or twice they were also spoken out loud by Morales. Some of them were also so small you couldn't read them anyway, regardless of the language.

I hope I feel the same way when I get to watching it, I think I will have pause / google translate for the few that are missing speech though ... the 3D sounds a little disappointing, I do wish was stronger especially on these animated titles.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I'm getting "this item does not ship to United States" message on the amazon UK pre-order pages for Dumbo and Avengers Endgame 3D. This is new, hadn't seen that before when Amazon is the seller (though sometimes see it when a third party sells through Amazon). Anyone know what's the explanation?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been seeing it more frequently over the last 6 months or so even with Amazon direct.

Sometimes it's a Red Herring though and the order goes through without a problem. When I was playing with Endgame earlier it let me go through to the last page without a problem instead of getting blocked at the address section like when items are really restricted.

I hadn't tried with Dumbo earlier, but it's going through to the last page as well so I think it's just some sort of site error.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sunday Billy
    Recent bookmarks