Three's Company

Caproni

Formerly 'ClassyCo'
Real Name
DRB
THREE'S COMPANY was one of the most popular television comedies of the late 1970s and early 1980s. It made celebrities out of stars John Ritter and Suzanne Somers, the latter whose behind-the-scenes battle for a higher salary resulted in her firing. The show was a top ten hit for six of its eight seasons, producing 172 episodes for ABC between 1977 and 1984.

I use to watch THREE'S COMPANY early in the morning on TV Land. I remember fondly watch those first batch of episodes from the fourth season (which remain some of my personal favorites). I have the first six seasons of THREE'S COMPANY on DVD, and I'm anticipating getting the final two years soon.

I enjoy this show a lot.

Any other fans?

1600455896820.png

Reactions: Blimpoy06

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I enjoyed it as a kid in the beginning of its run but it got a little dopey last few seasons.

Don Knotts character wasn’t a good addition

TheRopers tv show was brutal.
And Ritter’s spin off wasn’t much better.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
There will simply never be another talent quite like John Ritter. The rest of the cast never had a chance in terms of keeping up with him but they held their own. I was one of the likely millions of young boys back then who idolized Jack Tripper's living arrangement. ;) I really miss classic shows like this one.

I agree The Ropers didn't work as a spin-off although I did enjoy them on the original show.

jan goorsky

Auditioning
The show jumped the shark once Suzanne Summers and the Ropers left. First several seasons were quite funny and were really a product of the 70s

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I loved Mr. Furley. He was especially great with the ladies.

Caproni

Formerly 'ClassyCo'
Real Name
DRB
I enjoyed it as a kid in the beginning of its run but it got a little dopey last few seasons.

Don Knotts character wasn’t a good addition

TheRopers tv show was brutal.
And Ritter’s spin off wasn’t much better.
Oh goodness. I have to disagree. I thought Don Knotts was a good addition to the ensemble. He was quirky, and that wardrobe just brought different flavors to the character (without him ever having to say a word). I know the network really wanted Don Knotts, and they liked that they now had one landlord instead of two. Hey, it made it easier to write scripts because there were fewer top billed actors that needed pleasing, and there was also less money being ushered out because there weren't as many regular cast members.

I liked Mr. and Mrs. Roper, but I always thought their strained romantic relationship got a little repetitive, and that's left me without any strong desire to see their spin-off. I'd be apt to guess that's why it didn't last too long ─ the audience grew tired of the same story over and over (but yet that didn't stop them for liking other shows with repetitive stories).

I only have through season six of THREE'S COMPANY, which just happens to be one of my favorite seasons. I like the addition of Terri (Priscilla Barnes), and also that the decision of the producers to keep Cindy (Jenilee Harrison) around, even in a smaller capacity, for the rest of the season. The show seemed to have "matured" that year, but it was still silly. My familiarity with the final two seasons is sparse, but I do remember catching a few episodes from the eighth and final season in reruns. The writing got weaker, I know, and I might not even buy them out of fear of disappointment.

Caproni

Formerly 'ClassyCo'
Real Name
DRB
Here's a documentary about the show that appeared on BIOGRAPHY some twenty years ago.

Caproni

Formerly 'ClassyCo'
Real Name
DRB
The show jumped the shark once Suzanne Summers and the Ropers left. First several seasons were quite funny and were really a product of the 70s
It got sillier as the Ropers left, that's for sure. I think season four was still solid, but maybe that's coming from the view that I love Lana and wished something would've worked out for them to keep Ann Wedgeworth a part of the cast. She was beautiful and funny. Such wasted talent, but I understand the boundaries her character was framed in wasn't too flexible. How many times could she pursue Jack and he reject her? Why was he rejecting her in the first place?

Anyway, I'd say that the THREE'S COMPANY finally "jumped the shark" during the Suzanne Somers spectacle. The network didn't want to loose her name because they feared "it would hurt the ratings", and so they kept her around till the end of season five, but only used her in a sixty-second tag scene at the end of a few episodes. Jenilee Harrison was saddled in as Chrissy's clumsy cousin Cindy, a character basically created as filler and to absorb some of the Chrissy scripts that had been temporarily laid aside. I've heard that some of the scripts literally had the name "Chrissy" crossed out and "Cindy" penciled in. The ratings dipped from #2 to #8 during this time frame, and a lot of can be configured to the producers' and their decisions to have basically the same character with a different name and face.

What's funny though is even though the fifth season was disjointed, the sixth season actually rebounded and actually ended up being one of the best seasons in my opinion. Priscilla Barnes, whether she enjoyed it or not, was actually a good addition to the cast and ironed out the wrinkles that had been trying to set in. She offered a balance to Jack and Janet, and I liked that they kept Cindy around for a little while (I've often wished she would have stayed those final two years, too).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
desperado1976