What's new

Three's Company (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
THREE'S COMPANY was one of the most popular television comedies of the late 1970s and early 1980s. It made celebrities out of stars John Ritter and Suzanne Somers, the latter whose behind-the-scenes battle for a higher salary resulted in her firing. The show was a top ten hit for six of its eight seasons, producing 172 episodes for ABC between 1977 and 1984.

I use to watch THREE'S COMPANY early in the morning on TV Land. I remember fondly watch those first batch of episodes from the fourth season (which remain some of my personal favorites). I have the first six seasons of THREE'S COMPANY on DVD, and I'm anticipating getting the final two years soon.

I enjoy this show a lot.

Any other fans?

1600455896820.png

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I enjoyed it as a kid in the beginning of its run but it got a little dopey last few seasons.

Don Knotts character wasn’t a good addition

TheRopers tv show was brutal.
And Ritter’s spin off wasn’t much better.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
There will simply never be another talent quite like John Ritter. The rest of the cast never had a chance in terms of keeping up with him but they held their own. I was one of the likely millions of young boys back then who idolized Jack Tripper's living arrangement. ;) I really miss classic shows like this one.

I agree The Ropers didn't work as a spin-off although I did enjoy them on the original show.

jan goorsky

Agent
The show jumped the shark once Suzanne Summers and the Ropers left. First several seasons were quite funny and were really a product of the 70s

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I enjoyed it as a kid in the beginning of its run but it got a little dopey last few seasons.

Don Knotts character wasn’t a good addition

TheRopers tv show was brutal.
And Ritter’s spin off wasn’t much better.
Oh goodness. I have to disagree. I thought Don Knotts was a good addition to the ensemble. He was quirky, and that wardrobe just brought different flavors to the character (without him ever having to say a word). I know the network really wanted Don Knotts, and they liked that they now had one landlord instead of two. Hey, it made it easier to write scripts because there were fewer top billed actors that needed pleasing, and there was also less money being ushered out because there weren't as many regular cast members.

I liked Mr. and Mrs. Roper, but I always thought their strained romantic relationship got a little repetitive, and that's left me without any strong desire to see their spin-off. I'd be apt to guess that's why it didn't last too long ─ the audience grew tired of the same story over and over (but yet that didn't stop them for liking other shows with repetitive stories).

I only have through season six of THREE'S COMPANY, which just happens to be one of my favorite seasons. I like the addition of Terri (Priscilla Barnes), and also that the decision of the producers to keep Cindy (Jenilee Harrison) around, even in a smaller capacity, for the rest of the season. The show seemed to have "matured" that year, but it was still silly. My familiarity with the final two seasons is sparse, but I do remember catching a few episodes from the eighth and final season in reruns. The writing got weaker, I know, and I might not even buy them out of fear of disappointment.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Here's a documentary about the show that appeared on BIOGRAPHY some twenty years ago.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
The show jumped the shark once Suzanne Summers and the Ropers left. First several seasons were quite funny and were really a product of the 70s
It got sillier as the Ropers left, that's for sure. I think season four was still solid, but maybe that's coming from the view that I love Lana and wished something would've worked out for them to keep Ann Wedgeworth a part of the cast. She was beautiful and funny. Such wasted talent, but I understand the boundaries her character was framed in wasn't too flexible. How many times could she pursue Jack and he reject her? Why was he rejecting her in the first place?

Anyway, I'd say that the THREE'S COMPANY finally "jumped the shark" during the Suzanne Somers spectacle. The network didn't want to loose her name because they feared "it would hurt the ratings", and so they kept her around till the end of season five, but only used her in a sixty-second tag scene at the end of a few episodes. Jenilee Harrison was saddled in as Chrissy's clumsy cousin Cindy, a character basically created as filler and to absorb some of the Chrissy scripts that had been temporarily laid aside. I've heard that some of the scripts literally had the name "Chrissy" crossed out and "Cindy" penciled in. The ratings dipped from #2 to #8 during this time frame, and a lot of can be configured to the producers' and their decisions to have basically the same character with a different name and face.

What's funny though is even though the fifth season was disjointed, the sixth season actually rebounded and actually ended up being one of the best seasons in my opinion. Priscilla Barnes, whether she enjoyed it or not, was actually a good addition to the cast and ironed out the wrinkles that had been trying to set in. She offered a balance to Jack and Janet, and I liked that they kept Cindy around for a little while (I've often wished she would have stayed those final two years, too).

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Three's Company was a clever & funny series, and much of the humor was based on misunderstandings & innuendos - LOL. The show depicted a "swinging" & somewhat care-free, sunny California lifestyle that was definitely a product of it's time.

I didn't see much of the show when it was originally on, but caught it later in re-runs in the latter '80's & early '90's. The female roommates were all great, but my favorite was the tall, statuesque Cindy (Jenilee Harrison). Though she wasn't in that many episodes, I thought she was the most attractive of all the lead female characters - the others being Janet, Chrissy, and Terri.

Though Mr. & Mrs. Roper (the original landlords) were mildly funny at times, my favorite landlord was the cheapskate Mr. Furley, played by the late Don Knotts - he was the one that came after The Ropers' left the show. This is quite possibly Knotts' best role; the character was both pathetic & funny - LOL. He thought of himself as a ladies man, but was in fact the exact opposite. His ugly leisure suits & obvious rug were hilarious; I cracked up just looking at him - LOL.

Also very memorable was the sultry neighbor Lana Shields (played by the late Anne Wedgeworth).

I can't see a show like this being released & becoming that popular today. For one thing, very few viewers these days would believe that a landlord would get upset/give a damn that a single man & two single women are all roommates.

Several months ago, I started watching Three's Company on the DVD set(s). This is my first time watching the show in about 30 years. My brief review of S01 on DVD:

Technical review:

The PQ is below average, but still probably slightly better than a VHS rip; and, I've seen worse PQ on TV shows (on DVD) from this era. I suspect the problem(s) lie with the limitations of the original prints/source material.

The show itself:

This 1st season is short, and only has 6 episodes. The reason for this was that it originally aired in Spring 1977, which was late in the TV season.

The show itself is great & laugh-out loud funny. It's very clever & well-written, with amusing characters & storylines. That being said, due to the content there is NO WAY a show like this would fly today.

I liked how Jack Tripper's becoming a new room-mate of Chrissy & Janet was organically done, and not just shoe-horned in as an unrealistic plot device. I.e., their 3rd room-mate had recently left due to her being pregnant & planning to get married. And, the morning after the 3rd room-mate's going away party, Jack was found asleep in the bath-tub (presumably because he was drunk) - ha ha. Jack's clothes were wet, so while they dried he stuck around & decided to cook everyone breakfast. After the ladies quickly realized he was an excellent cook & because they needed a 3rd person to help with the rent, they decided to choose him as the 3rd new room-mate.

The Ropers were funnier than I remember. All of their dialogue is great. One of their most humorous exchanges was early on, when Jack was trying to convince the Ropers that he would be a good choice for a room-mate - and that there would be no hanky-panky between him & the two women:

Jack Tripper: "It would be strictly platonic."
Mr. Roper: "What does that mean?"
Mrs. Roper: "Just like you and me, Stanley."
- LOL

Last edited:

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Three's Company was a clever & funny series, and much of the humor was based on misunderstandings & innuendos - LOL. The show depicted a "swinging" & somewhat care-free, sunny California lifestyle that was definitely a product of it's time.

I didn't see much of the show when it was originally on, but caught it later in re-runs in the latter '80's & early '90's. The female roommates were all great, but my favorite was the tall, statuesque Cindy (Jenilee Harrison). Though she wasn't in that many episodes, I thought she was the most attractive of all the lead female characters - the others being Janet, Chrissy, and Terri.

Though Mr. & Mrs. Roper (the original landlords) were mildly funny at times, my favorite landlord was the cheapskate Mr. Furley, played by the late Don Knotts - he was the one that came after The Ropers' left the show. This is quite possibly Knotts' best role; the character was both pathetic & funny - LOL. He thought of himself as a ladies man, but was in fact the exact opposite. His ugly leisure suits & obvious rug were hilarious; I cracked up just looking at him - LOL.

Also very memorable was the sultry neighbor Lana Shields (played by the late Anne Wedgeworth).

I can't see a show like this being released & becoming that popular today. For one thing, very few viewers these days would believe that a landlord would get upset/give a damn that a single man & two single women are all roommates.

Several months ago, I started watching Three's Company on the DVD set(s). This is my first time watching the show in about 30 years. My brief review of S01 on DVD:

Technical review:

The PQ is below average, but still probably slightly better than a VHS rip; and, I've seen worse PQ on TV shows (on DVD) from this era. I suspect the problem(s) lie with the limitations of the original prints/source material.

The show itself:

This 1st season is short, and only has 6 episodes. The reason for this was that it originally aired in Spring 1977, which was late in the TV season.

The show itself is great & laugh-out loud funny. It's very clever & well-written, with amusing characters & storylines. That being said, due to the content there is NO WAY a show like this would fly today.

I liked how Jack Tripper's becoming a new room-mate of Chrissy & Janet was organically done, and not just shoe-horned in as an unrealistic plot device. I.e., their 3rd room-mate had recently left due to her being pregnant & planning to get married. And, the morning after the 3rd room-mate's going away party, Jack was found asleep in the bath-tub (presumably because he was drunk) - ha ha. Jack's clothes were wet, so while they dried he stuck around & decided to cook everyone breakfast. After the ladies quickly realized he was an excellent cook & because they needed a 3rd person to help with the rent, they decided to choose him as the 3rd new room-mate.

The Ropers were funnier than I remember. All of their dialogue is great. One of their most humorous exchanges was early on, when Jack was trying to convince the Ropers that he would be a good choice for a room-mate - and that there would be no hanky-panky between him & the two women:

Jack Tripper: "It would be strictly platonic."
Mr. Roper: "What does that mean?"
Mrs. Roper: "Just like you and me, Stanley."
- LOL
I agree with a lot of what you have said here. Three's Company is a really funny show, but it wouldn't enjoy the same success today. The innuendo and the basic set-up would fall flat. It just isn't that "edgy" anymore, at least not by 2021 standards.

The original trio of roommates -- Jack, Janet, and Chrissy -- were the best. The most "classic" the show was with that trio, along with the Ropers and Larry occasionally popping in. Norman Fell and Audra Findley were funny as the Ropers, and it would've been alright with me had ABC decided not to do a spin-off for them. They worked well as a subplot, but their bickering as the central focus wore thin.

In saying that, I like Mr. Furley as the landlord better. Don Knotts is funny as all get out, and I just love his colorful wardrobe. He serviced the same function as the Ropers, but in one character instead of two.

Ann Wedgeworth was a wonderful addition as Lana in season four. She was beautiful, talented, and she had a solid, sexy comedic timing. I liked her antics chasing Jack and running from Mr. Furley, and how she brushed off Janet and Chrissy because they were younger women was delicious. So snooty. Lana was really one-note, however, and the only way she could've stayed would have been if the writers decided to "flesh out" her character more. They decided to let Wedgeworth go instead, and that's always bummed me.

As for the most attractive female roommate, I'd have to cast my vote for Joyce DeWitt as Janet. She was pretty, and then very sexy once her hair was cut in season four. Very attractive.

If I were speaking of the blondes specifically, I'd say that Cindy, as played by Jenilee Harrison, was the prettiest. Chrissy was probably the best in terms of comedy and writing, Terri was the smartest, and Cindy was the prettiest. I've always hated how the producers used Jenilee Harrison as a filler roommate until they found Priscilla Barnes. Season six actually turned out to be one of the best seasons in my opinion. The final two seasons were stale and I don't especially care for them.​

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just recently, I viewed all of the British original MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE series. While I had seen a few episodes on Global in the late 70s, in my recent viewings I found the many similarities, right down to entire episode story lines later used by THREE'S COMPANY rather striking.

A couple of key differences were actually in the enormous success of the two MATH spin-offs GEORGE AND MILDRED and ROBIN'S NEST (Which "inspired" THE ROPERS and THREE'S A CROWD, the latter also the name of the first MATH episode!). The fact that UK based Seasons (Which they call Series!) are typically much shorter than U.S. based ones (6-7 vs. 20+, at least in the '70s!), no doubt help to minimize annoying repetitiveness.

In my opinion, both shows are quite good in their own unique ways, and THREE'S COMPANY fans who haven't seen MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE should give it a shot! :)

CHEERS! :)

P.S. While I liked the Ropers, I preferred Mr. Furley for the reasons previous posters have stated.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Just recently, I viewed all of the British original MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE series. While I had seen a few episodes on Global in the late 70s, in my recent viewings I found the many similarities, right down to entire episode story lines later used by THREE'S COMPANY rather striking.

A couple of key differences were actually in the enormous success of the two MATH spin-offs GEORGE AND MILDRED and ROBIN'S NEST (Which "inspired" THE ROPERS and THREE'S A CROWD, the latter also the name of the first MATH episode!). The fact that UK based Seasons (Which they call Series!) are typically much shorter than U.S. based ones (6-7 vs. 20+, at least in the '70s!), no doubt help to minimize annoying repetitiveness.

In my opinion, both shows are quite good in their own unique ways, and THREE'S COMPANY fans who haven't seen MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE should give it a shot! :)

CHEERS! :)

P.S. While I liked the Ropers, I preferred Mr. Furley for the reasons previous posters have stated.
I watched the first episode of Man About the House, but I never went beyond that. I might give it a look again.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first episode of Man About the House, but I never went beyond that. I might give it a look again.
The first episode of the US version is practically an almost exact re-working of that episode! I once saw a split-screen comparing the "waking up in the bathtub" scene and it was pretty much, shot-for-shot, the same.

Perhaps one reason the British spin-off George & Mildred was so much more successful than its US counterpart The Ropers is in the casting. While the US actors were decent, they're clearly out-performed by the UK originals Brian Murphy and Yootha Joyce. Another thing the UK series had to its advantage was that it didn't appear on the scene until Man About the House ended. In the US, The Ropers premiered while the show it spun off from was still going.

It also probably didn't help that Norman Fell didn't really want to be there. Justifiably, he felt uneasy about leaving an established hit for a spin-off that might fail (and put him out of a job).

One key difference in the UK and US versions of the main show is how they handled the "gay" aspect of the male lead. In the US show, Jack pretending to be gay was key to the premise of the series: if he were exposed, he couldn't stay, and was a frequent plot device. In the UK original, it was pretty much the punchline at the end of the first episode ("we told him you're a poof!"), and quickly abandoned after that. As in the US version, Mildred discovers Robin's true sexual preferences in the second episode and his feigned homosexuality as a plot device is never really brought up again.

Maybe co-ed (but platonic) living situations were less controversial in the UK at that time than in the US?

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim

I recently watched the first episode of MATH (for the first time) shortly after seeing S01 of Three's Company, and it was interesting to see how similar both shows were. The first episode of TC is literally an almost exact re-telling of MATH. I did note that the landlords in MATH (George and Mildred) seemed somewhat younger than the Ropers. I would be interested in seeing the entire MATH series at some point - it was very well-done & funny.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Ann Wedgeworth was a wonderful addition as Lana in season four. She was beautiful, talented, and she had a solid, sexy comedic timing. I liked her antics chasing Jack and running from Mr. Furley, and how she brushed off Janet and Chrissy because they were younger women was delicious. So snooty. Lana was really one-note, however, and the only way she could've stayed would have been if the writers decided to "flesh out" her character more. They decided to let Wedgeworth go instead, and that's always bummed me.​
Agreed. I wish they had done more with the Lana character.

As a kid watching the show, I thought Ann Wedgeworth as Lana was beautiful & sexy....but if hard-pressed to choose would have picked either Terri or Cindy as being more attractive.

However, now that I'm going back & watching the show as a middle-aged man, I find Lana to be incredibly hot. Wow. She oozes sex appeal, and I definitely find her the most attractive woman to ever appear on the show. I wonder if this character coined the phrase MILF?! ;)

Last edited:

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Agreed. I wish they had done more with the Lana character.

As a kid watching the show, I thought Ann Wedgeworth as Lana was beautiful & sexy, but if I had to choose would have picked either Terri or Cindy as being more attractive.

However, now that I'm going back & watching the show as a middle-aged man, I find Lana to be incredibly hot. Wow. She oozes sex appeal, and I definitely find her the most attractive woman to ever appear on the show. I wonder if this character coined the phrase MILF?! ;)
The writers and producers just felt Lana was one-note and that she just wasn't working. Ann Wedgeworth once said that she was saddened that her role was "dwindling" on the show, a fact she contributed to other cast members perhaps being jealous of her screen time. (I'm looking at Suzanne Somers, and maybe even Joyce DeWitt on that note.)

Ann Wedgeworth only appeared in nine episodes, but she was credited for fourteen.​

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
THREE'S COMPANY was one of the most popular television comedies of the late 1970s and early 1980s. It made celebrities out of stars John Ritter and Suzanne Somers, the latter whose behind-the-scenes battle for a higher salary resulted in her firing. The show was a top ten hit for six of its eight seasons, producing 172 episodes for ABC between 1977 and 1984.

I use to watch THREE'S COMPANY early in the morning on TV Land. I remember fondly watch those first batch of episodes from the fourth season (which remain some of my personal favorites). I have the first six seasons of THREE'S COMPANY on DVD, and I'm anticipating getting the final two years soon.

I enjoy this show a lot.

Any other fans?

I always enjoyed the show and have the entire series on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks