What's new

Three's Company - The official 40th Anniversary Collection Coming December 22nd! (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
sorry if this is posted elsewhere. i did not find it by searching

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
But the 40th anniversary was in 2017. This must be a re-release of the 2017 release? Maybe they decided to release it again because Suzanne Somers died?

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Did the 2017 release include The Roper's and Three's A Crowd? This release will include it.

Last edited:

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
pre-order for $60

The Complete Series : 8 SEASONS, 172 episodes

INCLUDES THE ROPERS AND THREE’S A CROWD PLUS OVER 9 HOURS OF BONUS EXTRAS

Three’s Company was a groundbreaking comedy series that tripped through a world of slapstick pratfalls and some of the most scandalously titillating comedy America had ever seen. Racy and daring for its time, this breakthrough farce ran for eight seasons on ABC. Forty years after it came to an end, it remains one of the best-loved television series of all time. This complete series set is a celebration of the exploits of Jack, Janet, Chrissy, Larry, Terri, The Ropers, and Mr. Furley and offers fans a chance to relive every episode and continue to laugh for years to come.

Starring: John Ritter, Joyce DeWitt, Suzanne Somers, Richard Kline, Norman Fell, Audra Lindley, Don Knotts, Jenilee Harrison, Priscilla Barnes. Directors: Dave Powers, Bill Hobin, Michael Ross, Sam Gary, Robert Priest.

Region 1 (USA/Canada) | Approx 94 hrs. | Closed Captioning | Ratio: 1.33:1

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
If my memory is correct, on the original 4th season DVD's from Anchor Bay, the tag scene at the end of the Ralph's Rival episode is missing. I'm wondering if this new complete series DVD will correct that error.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
pre-order for $60

The Complete Series : 8 SEASONS, 172 episodes

INCLUDES THE ROPERS AND THREE’S A CROWD PLUS OVER 9 HOURS OF BONUS EXTRAS

Three’s Company was a groundbreaking comedy series that tripped through a world of slapstick pratfalls and some of the most scandalously titillating comedy America had ever seen. Racy and daring for its time, this breakthrough farce ran for eight seasons on ABC. Forty years after it came to an end, it remains one of the best-loved television series of all time. This complete series set is a celebration of the exploits of Jack, Janet, Chrissy, Larry, Terri, The Ropers, and Mr. Furley and offers fans a chance to relive every episode and continue to laugh for years to come.

Starring: John Ritter, Joyce DeWitt, Suzanne Somers, Richard Kline, Norman Fell, Audra Lindley, Don Knotts, Jenilee Harrison, Priscilla Barnes. Directors: Dave Powers, Bill Hobin, Michael Ross, Sam Gary, Robert Priest.

Region 1 (USA/Canada) | Approx 94 hrs. | Closed Captioning | Ratio: 1.33:1
Link?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
it came to me in an email, but it did have something to click. i didnt read it, so hopefully it has some value to you guys

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
If my memory is correct, on the original 4th season DVD's from Anchor Bay, the tag scene at the end of the Ralph's Rival episode is missing. I'm wondering if this new complete series DVD will correct that error.
I doubt the shows feature updated transfers. This same company re-released the complete series of Gimme A Break! but didn't fix the edited Ray Parker, Jr. Episode, "Who Dunnit?". I did. VEI didn't!

The tag scene from "Ralph's Rival" turned up dubbed in Italian from a satellite rip some years ago. I was told, though I cannot confirm this, that the episode was also missing the tag on the Italian dvd release (which also featured the original English audio soundtracks as well as Italian dubs). The transfers were said to be the same as the US release complete with the proper openings and not the re-edited, foreign television versions.

Again, I can't confirm that since the only copies that go up for sale are for 200 Euros or more, so I never bothered to grab one to find out.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
VEI is somewhat like Mill Creek with TV sets. Too many episodes on a disc causing compression issues. They've also had quality issues in the past on some sets with discs/episodes that wouldn't play. I've not read about any of that with their newer (i.e. past 4-5 years) releases but it's something I consider when purchasing a TV series from them. I own a couple of series where the player sounds like it's about to fly apart when loading an episode but, so far, no discs have failed. I tend to think that's a compression and/or authoring issue.

FWIW - Here's a link to the listing on Amazon (sold by VEI) which is $20 higher:

It shows the disc count to be 29 discs. That's for 10 seasons of TV consisting of 172 (IMDB says 174) Three's Company episodes, 28 The Ropers episodes, and 22 Three's a Crowd episodes. That's 222 episodes, so if that disc count is correct you're looking at ~7 episodes per disc. That's pretty good for VEI and means compression issues should be at a minimum - at least for this original release *and* assuming double-density discs. They're also known for putting out "budget" versions later with fewer discs.

If you've never seen it you should also look into the British series Man About the House (1973) which was the "inspiration" for Three's Company. IMHO, the British series is the better of the two (I've never been a fan of John Ritter's "telegraphed" comedy schtick). It also had 2 spin-offs with George and Mildred (the British version of The Ropers) and Robin's Nest (you guessed it, the British version of Three's a Crowd). Outside 2 "seasons" of Man About the House those are all only on R2 releases with those first 2 "seasons" of Man About the House receiving a R1 release. And there's also a "Complete Series" packaging, as well as individual releases, of the 3 British series.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
VEI is somewhat like Mill Creek with TV sets. Too many episodes on a disc causing compression issues. They've also had quality issues in the past on some sets with discs/episodes that wouldn't play. I've not read about any of that with their newer (i.e. past 4-5 years) releases but it's something I consider when purchasing a TV series from them. I own a couple of series where the player sounds like it's about to fly apart when loading an episode but, so far, no discs have failed. I tend to think that's a compression and/or authoring issue.

FWIW - Here's a link to the listing on Amazon (sold by VEI) which is $20 higher:

It shows the disc count to be 29 discs. That's for 10 seasons of TV consisting of 172 (IMDB says 174) Three's Company episodes, 28 The Ropers episodes, and 22 Three's a Crowd episodes. That's 222 episodes, so if that disc count is correct you're looking at ~7 episodes per disc. That's pretty good for VEI and means compression issues should be at a minimum - at least for this original release *and* assuming double-density discs. They're also known for putting out "budget" versions later with fewer discs.

If you've never seen it you should also look into the British series Man About the House (1973) which was the "inspiration" for Three's Company. IMHO, the British series is the better of the two (I've never been a fan of John Ritter's "telegraphed" comedy schtick). It also had 2 spin-offs with George and Mildred (the British version of The Ropers) and Robin's Nest (you guessed it, the British version of Three's a Crowd). Outside 2 "seasons" of Man About the House those are all only on R2 releases with those first 2 "seasons" of Man About the House receiving a R1 release. And there's also a "Complete Series" packaging, as well as individual releases, of the 3 British series.

That was the old VEI. They have been releasing top quality sets in the past few years. They stopped overly-compressed sets and the faulty discs were a manufacturing plant issue. The discs are now being issued on better discs. I have several of their “newer” sets and can attest to none of the problematic issues that occurred on prior sets. They are one of the few existing (if only one) boutique companies STILL releasing tv-on-dvd. I hope this release is a precursor for releasing a complete series set of “Too Close For Comfort” as that is also a DLT property. I locked in my order even though it is a double-dip for “Three’s Company” just to have better copies of “The Ropers” and “Three’s A Crowd” which have never been released on dvd until now. Will come back with my thoughts on the set once it arrives.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I am actually hoping they release The Ropers by itself (along presumably with Three's A Crowd). I wouldn't mind buying a complete series of The Ropers.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That was the old VEI. They have been releasing top quality sets in the past few years. They stopped overly-compressed sets and the faulty discs were a manufacturing plant issue. The discs are now being issued on better discs. I have several of their “newer” sets and can attest to none of the problematic issues that occurred on prior sets. They are one of the few existing (if only one) boutique companies STILL releasing tv-on-dvd.

And they seem to have captioning/subtitles on their newer releases-- Hunter, for instance.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That was the old VEI. They have been releasing top quality sets in the past few years. They stopped overly-compressed sets and the faulty discs were a manufacturing plant issue. The discs are now being issued on better discs. I have several of their “newer” sets and can attest to none of the problematic issues that occurred on prior sets. They are one of the few existing (if only one) boutique companies STILL releasing tv-on-dvd.
Any idea if this new approach applies to previously released titles like The Immortal or Matt Houston?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Most likely I'll probably just stay with the Three's Company DVD's from Anchor Bay. I don't have seasons 7 and 8, not really interested in those but I do have seasons 1 through 6. Not really interested in The Ropers series or Three's A Crowd either.

Also, just doing some wishful thinking but since it seems that VEI is attempting to improve themselves, I'd like to see the Barnaby Jones series reissued on DVD with all episodes complete and unedited. Make it a 45 disc set like the original set was, and episodes formatted in 4:3 full frame.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
you are welcome. i will probably get it at some point, but it is not a favorite of mine. it is good to hear that companies are striving towards higher quality releases !!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
It used to be a favorite of mine--when it was on. All the titillating sex references and gay innuendo was not something you'd see much of anyplace on TV and, of course, there was no internet and such, so it had it's own niche for humor like that. I don't think it's held up all that well because the daring, or less seen, humor of its time is so prevalent now. It also seems to me the actors they got to portray all of Janet and Chrissy's dates were, IMO, too old! For example, Dick Sargent was almost fifty when he was on the show. It also was on a year or two or three longer than it probably should've been. In any case, the addition of The Ropers and Three's a Crowd and the other bonus stuff is worth it for me to revisit it! (I worked at a place that Alan Campbell frequented when he was appearing on Three's a Crowd. He went on to play Joe Gillis alongside Glenn Close in the Sunset Blvd. musical in Los Angeles and NYC.)

I happen to have seen three episodes taped back in the day. Two at CBS Television City and one at Metromedia. This would've been '77 to '79, at least the first two of them. I can't remember what exact episodes they were. I know that in one of these tapings the Dodgers were playing a World Series game because between scenes John Ritter would go and check the progress of the game and tell everyone about it when he came back out. They were in the World Series in both '77 & '78, so it could've been either of those years.

By the way, around those years I went to a lot of TV tapings of shows. Three's Company was the fastest tapings of any sitcom I've ever been to. This was the case for all three I saw. They'd go through them in 35-40 minutes tops. Years later when I heard that tapings of one Friends episode would go on for 6 hours or more, I just shook my head. I know sitcoms that are filmed take longer than videotaped sitcoms, and according to research Friends was filmed, but I went to some filmed TV series in those years I saw Three's Company tapings, like The Bob Newhart Show and The Betty White Show and they didn't take more than two hours or so. (Waiting in line to get in not included in either of these scenarios heh!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks