What's new

bonanza season 12 dvd coming in 2023 (1 Viewer)

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
On this auspicious occasion -- September 12, 2022 -- we celebrate sixty-three years of BONANZA on television. Sixty-three years of sharing the adventures of the men of the fabled Ponderosa Ranch, of making new friendships with fellow fans who share a love of the charismatic Cartwright family, and enjoying a timeless classic again and again.

Speaking of . . . I am happy to report that BONANZA: The Official Twelfth Season will soon be ready for fans to purchase. In addition to outstanding shows like "The Stillness Within, "Kingdom of Fear," "Top Hand," and "The Gold-Plated Rifle (to name just a few) enthusiasts will find brand new audio commentaries and other surprises. A popular guest star shares her fond recollections of her Ponderosa experience, and I'll also be recording insights and observations for more than one show. And again you will find in abundance rare "behind-the-scenes" cast portraits and on-set photos -- in Living Color as well as Glorious Black and White -- from the Bonanza Ventures archives on display in the galleries accompanying the episodes. Most images have never been seen before.

Look for BONANZA: The Official Twelfth Season (in one complete-set volume) sometime next year.

Happy BONANZA Anniversary Day and Best BONANZA wishes,

ANDY KLYDE

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Great news that this series seems to be getting unstalled - thanks for posting, Doug!

Personally, I doubt I'll pick up much farther than S9 myself (currently own the first 8 seasons of the show), but I'm sure there are many fans from whom this news will be most welcome. CBS/Paramount has treated Bonanza well so far, so I hope the promised special features come to fruition. Maybe we'll get lucky and see the final two seasons follow after S12 comes out. Be nice to see another long-running show be completed on DVD.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
On this auspicious occasion -- September 12, 2022 -- we celebrate sixty-three years of BONANZA on television. Sixty-three years of sharing the adventures of the men of the fabled Ponderosa Ranch, of making new friendships with fellow fans who share a love of the charismatic Cartwright family, and enjoying a timeless classic again and again.

Speaking of . . . I am happy to report that BONANZA: The Official Twelfth Season will soon be ready for fans to purchase. In addition to outstanding shows like "The Stillness Within, "Kingdom of Fear," "Top Hand," and "The Gold-Plated Rifle (to name just a few) enthusiasts will find brand new audio commentaries and other surprises. A popular guest star shares her fond recollections of her Ponderosa experience, and I'll also be recording insights and observations for more than one show. And again you will find in abundance rare "behind-the-scenes" cast portraits and on-set photos -- in Living Color as well as Glorious Black and White -- from the Bonanza Ventures archives on display in the galleries accompanying the episodes. Most images have never been seen before.

Look for BONANZA: The Official Twelfth Season (in one complete-set volume) sometime next year.

Happy BONANZA Anniversary Day and Best BONANZA wishes,

ANDY KLYDE
Thank you for the mentioning of the link. I for one cannot wait to see S012 and the remaining seasons finally released despite comments by others however weak they might have been. I'm a completist and want them all. Hoping this info is the real deal. Also for this potentially final interview with Dan Blocker.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I pray season 14 has the uncut episode of forever. The show was way past its prime by 12, but it went back to drama in season 12 compared to those silly season 11 episodes. Definitely picking this up

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Great news that this series seems to be getting unstalled - thanks for posting, Doug!

Personally, I doubt I'll pick up much farther than S9 myself (currently own the first 8 seasons of the show), but I'm sure there are many fans from whom this news will be most welcome. CBS/Paramount has treated Bonanza well so far, so I hope the promised special features come to fruition. Maybe we'll get lucky and see the final two seasons follow after S12 comes out. Be nice to see another long-running show be completed on DVD.

And hopefully a deluxe all-in-one along the lines of what was done for Gunsmoke as well.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Paramount (there is no more CBS home video) will not be spending one penny on any transferring of any elements. If anything TV gets released it will be from whatever existing elements there are.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Paramount (there is no more CBS home video) will not be spending one penny on any transferring of any elements. If anything TV gets released it will be from whatever existing elements there are.

Why does Paramount want to release it straight as it comes, without enhancements?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Why does Paramount want to release it straight as it comes, without enhancements?
The costs to do new transfers from the film elements to HD. as well as any music that may need to be cleared. CBS/Paramount traditionally did this to not only put out DVD releases but to future proof a series for streaming in HD. They've already transferred a lot of series, but if changes in the organization have cut back on this approach, then some series/season may not get the same treatment going forward. They have eleven seasons ready for streaming in HD (possibly minus season 2), maybe they don't perceive the last few seasons as being worth the cost or needed for future syndication.

What we don't know at this time is where they left off. It is possible seasons 2, 12, 13, and 14 were already transferred to HD and they are just now ready to continue the DVD releases. I would think at the very least they would want to transfer season 2 to HD, but if not already done so, seasons 12-14 may just stay the way they are. The CBS Syndication Bible doesn't even show that season 11 as being transferred to HD, so we will just have to wait and see for the formal announcement.

All seasons of Rawhide shows as transferred to HD, even though two seasons were released on DVD before the HD masters were available. There is still hope that Bonanza's later season will follow suit.

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ashley
Several more posts from the Scenery of the Ponderosa forum:

Date Posted: 01:46:56 06/11/22 Sat
Author: Rick
Subject:
s.idea.gif
Breaking Bonanza DVD News!!!

The final three seasons will be released in late 2022 into early 2023. To be specific, seasons 12, 13 and 14. My thanks to Andrew Klyde and CBS Home Entertainment. Timeframe is approximate.

Best, Rick

Date Posted: 22:59:30 09/09/22 Fri
Author: Rick
Subject:
s.idea.gif
Bonanza episode Forever for DVD release in limbo…

This goes back three years ago at the storage vault in Fort Lee, New Jersey. Andrew Klyde kept reminding the guys to locate the original camera negative and soundtrack for DVD release. When they went to pull it off the rack, it was not there. Missing. All that was on the rack, was the film cannisters for the two-part version that was prepared for TV reruns back in the summer of 1972 at Warner Brothers in Burbank. The feature length cut was also missing that was struck from it, last seen on Family Channel in 1988 and 1989.

NBC-Universal gave CBS the go-ahead to pull seasons 11, 12, 13 and 14 from the vault to be flown to Los Angeles to be digitally restored in HD, this way everything was all done at once.

The episode was filmed and assembled in July and August 1972 and two versions were made from it for TV reruns down the stretch. The 14th season had the lowest ratings and NBC would not allow them to be aired until 1988 on cable TV. At the time, many of the episodes were being stored at KNBC in Burbank in the vault, as the series was broadcast there and filmed at Warner from 1970 to 1972. For a great masterpiece that was written and directed by Michael Landon to be missing in storage back east, 50 years later is very frustrating and a travesty.

There are some scenarios that could explain what happened…

1… The original 35mm film and sound elements were stored in the Burbank vault and possibly, they might still be sitting there, and were never shipped to the New Jersey warehouse. An authorized search of the Burbank vault should be made to verify it.

2… Did the guys in the New Jersey warehouse misplace the original film and sound elements and not bother to go looking for it elsewhere?

3… Did Michael Landon acquire the rights to the episode and store them in his private vault in North Hollywood some years later? Although this seems very unlikely to me, there could be an inside chance, although he probably had no reason to. He did have partial ownership to all the episodes that he wrote and directed with NBC through the end of Little House in 1983.

4… Were the original film and sound elements destroyed by NBC in 1972 after some time? I refute this because logically, there was no reason to do so. Everything on film that was written and directed by Michael Landon for Bonanza and beyond still exists with the original film and soundtracks by the company to this day.

5…Were the original elements acquired by an NBC executive and remain in private storage? I think this is highly unlikely because any big-wig staffers at NBC would probably have no interest in it.

If the original camera negative and the soundtracks can be located over time and a stand-alone DVD release would work by CBS.

Rick

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thank you for this latest update from voy.com. About 6 -7 years ago (I've lost track of the actual timeframe) EncoreWesterns aired Bonanza Seasons 12 and 13, not sure about 14. The prints were quite good. I'm still annoyed at myself for wiping the digital video tapes I had assembled as I assumed they would be forthcoming from CBS very quickly.

If what CBS is about to release is as good as what I saw on Encore I will be quite content. If remastered like all the previous seasons of Bonanza I will be absolutely thrilled.
icon_e_hope.gif

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Would love a complete version of "Forever." It was so .... controversial. It wasn't seen for many years after it had first been run. It briefly mentioned Hoss' passing, but didn't give a clear explanation. The intensity of the episode didn't just cover Joe's falling in love, marriage, and her death, but also the feeling of sorrow throughout it. My sister and I had tears in our eyes at the end. We got caught up into it. Years ago, TV Guide mentioned it as one of the romantic or bittersweet episodes of television, which is quite strange since it was only aired once or twice. "Forever" must have stuck in people's minds.

--jthree

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Would love a complete version of "Forever." It was so .... controversial. It wasn't seen for many years after it had first been run. It briefly mentioned Hoss' passing, but didn't give a clear explanation. The intensity of the episode didn't just cover Joe's falling in love, marriage, and her death, but also the feeling of sorrow throughout it. My sister and I had tears in our eyes at the end. We got caught up into it. Years ago, TV Guide mentioned it as one of the romantic or bittersweet episodes of television, which is quite strange since it was only aired once or twice. "Forever" must have stuck in people's minds.

--jthree
I believe I read somewhere that Landon had actually written the episode for Hoss's character, but with Blocker's death he had to transition it to Little Joe.

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ashley
Looks like these are new pages on Amazon for Seasons 12, 13, and 14.

I also found these:

Bonanza: The Official Twelfth Season [DVD]
Availability: Out of Stock - on backorder and will be dispatched once in stock.
SKU: 191329222256
Vendor: Paramount
Street Date : 05/23/2023
Pre-order Date : 03/13/2023
SRP : 53.9900
DVD $53.99

Bonanza: The Official Thirteenth Season [DVD]
SKU: 191329222676
DVD $53.99

Bonanza: The Official Fourteenth Season [DVD]
SKU: 191329219829
DVD $53.99

https://b2b.dealsareus.ca/transformers-earthspark-season-1-episodes-1-10-dvd-copy (wrong show in address but it goes to Bonanza)
Bonanza: The Official Complete Series [DVD]
SKU: 191329231562
SRP : 265.9900
DVD $265.99

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
When the all-in-one of Bonanza comes this May, will the seasons be apportioned similarly to how they were with the Gunsmoke release, or differently?

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I believe I read somewhere that Landon had actually written the episode for Hoss's character, but with Blocker's death he had to transition it to Little Joe.
I don't remember this particular episode. I'll have to check it out when the DVD gets released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks