What's new

bonanza season 12 dvd coming in 2023 (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
CBS did something similar with Hawaii Five-O Season 10. For whatever reason, they didn’t remaster the original release. After lots of fan complaints, they went back and remastered it for inclusion in the complete series sets. However, unlike Bonanza, they never re-did the Season 10 standalone release.

Last edited:

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
It looks like it's the same type of big bulky boxes that they had with the Gunsmoke Complete Series Set.

I really wish it was possible to obtain the bonus disc without having to buy the whole set. It should have either been included in the Season 14 set (the amount of episodes isn't the same as the previous couple of seasons anyway), or make it a separate release that we can buy for like 20 bucks or something...

d098e448-3480-53f2-2bf8-0d3284fd1ae5.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It looks like it's the same type of big bulky boxes that they had with the Gunsmoke Complete Series Set.

I really wish it was possible to obtain the bonus disc without having to buy the whole set. It should have either been included in the Season 14 set (the amount of episodes isn't the same as the previous couple of seasons anyway), or make it a separate release that we can buy for like 20 bucks or something...

View attachment 179286

Very much agreed-- BTW, love that box art on the all-in-one, and the individual cases within.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
They won't be adding anything new for the complete set at this stage in the DVD game. They didn't for the Rawhide and Gunsmoke complete sets. I have the Rawhide complete set and agree its a hassle getting a disc out of the cheap packaging each time. Gunsmoke and Bonanza I have the individual releases and they were well worth it.

Apart from the exclusive bonus disc...

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ashley
Just heard back from Andy Klyde regarding the bonus feature "Michael Landon: Question & Answer session with Vikki Carr and The Tonight Show audience (audio with slide show; 1973)"

This is his response:

"Video exists? Well, not really. I suspect you are referring to a lone on-line post of very poor quality. I confirmed with the official rights-holders to "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" that the original show is not in their archives. The poor quality video may very well have been recorded off the air in 1973, with rudimentary recording equipment. After securing permission from the Carson Group, I made the editorial decision to use only audio (tweaked for improved sound quality), edited -- to remove non-germane and non-BONANZA references. And the accompanying slide show, consisting of BONANZA photos, put together by a very talented editor, is fantastic."

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Wish this was used so much great stuff out there again GOOD on CBS and thanks for letting me comment --- I will enjoy reading all your comments enjoy the release!!!

Last edited:

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Just heard back from Andy Klyde regarding the bonus feature "Michael Landon: Question & Answer session with Vikki Carr and The Tonight Show audience (audio with slide show; 1973)"

This is his response:

"Video exists? Well, not really. I suspect you are referring to a lone on-line post of very poor quality. I confirmed with the official rights-holders to "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" that the original show is not in their archives. The poor quality video may very well have been recorded off the air in 1973, with rudimentary recording equipment. After securing permission from the Carson Group, I made the editorial decision to use only audio (tweaked for improved sound quality), edited -- to remove non-germane and non-BONANZA references. And the accompanying slide show, consisting of BONANZA photos, put together by a very talented editor, is fantastic."
As of right now we will not be seeing the uncut version of forever on season 14?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

This is his response:

Well the near complete show was posted on YT over ten years ago by a Vikki Carr fan (in multiple segments) though it long since disappeared. I wouldn't say the video quality is "very poor" though since it looks to have been recorded on a Cartridgevision machine (which would produce a more "color kinescope" look) but doesn't seem to have been a multi-generation copy that was put on YT. It is their decision to go with what they think is best but here's how the two Landon segments look from the original YT upload. If there's an on-line source post-YT that exists that might originate from a lower generation source copy since this actually looks not too far removed from the original.

GPS

Auditioning
Real Name
Glenn
The Amazon pre-order price for seasons 12, 13 or 14 is $56.99. That is literally insane. Especially for season 14 which is only 16 episodes. Gunsmoke seasons never sold for anything near this price. I guess I will wait until a used copy becomes affordable or I can download them from a torrent site. This is nothing buy pure greed.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
The Amazon pre-order price for seasons 12, 13 or 14 is $56.99. That is literally insane. Especially for season 14 which is only 16 episodes. Gunsmoke seasons never sold for anything near this price. I guess I will wait until a used copy becomes affordable or I can download them from a torrent site. This is nothing buy pure greed.
I agree with you especially about season 14, which is not only the worse season but has half the episodes. 70s bonanza should be cheap lol.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Well the near complete show was posted on YT over ten years ago by a Vikki Carr fan (in multiple segments) though it long since disappeared. I wouldn't say the video quality is "very poor" though since it looks to have been recorded on a Cartridgevision machine (which would produce a more "color kinescope" look) but doesn't seem to have been a multi-generation copy that was put on YT. It is their decision to go with what they think is best but here's how the two Landon segments look from the original YT upload. If there's an on-line source post-YT that exists that might originate from a lower generation source copy since this actually looks not too far removed from the original.

That's either from a 3/4 tape or a color half inch reel to reel. Cartrivision used a skip field recording technique and it would be far more choppy. As for the Carson archives, many shows with guest hosts were not saved by him.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I have the first 8 seasons of Bonanza. I held off on Seasons 9, 10 and 11 hoping that these would be combined into 1 set like the previous 8 seasons instead of 2 separate volumes which cost too much in my opinion. Getting this entire set would certainly cost less than buying the remaining Seasons 9-14 separately, but I don't particularly care for huge bulky sets plus then I have duplicates of Seasons 1-8. Have to think about this a bit.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Getting this entire set would certainly cost less than buying the remaining Seasons 9-14 separately, but I don't particularly care for huge bulky sets plus then I have duplicates of Seasons 1-8.

But if you have duplicates of those, and one copy goes bad, and you still want your Bonanza fix, at least you'll have backups if you get this.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I’ve been watching season 12. Was the theme music changed back in 1970 or is Paramount using syndicated versions of these episodes?

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I’ve been watching season 12. Was the theme music changed back in 1970 or is Paramount using syndicated versions of these episodes?
Rose changed the theme feeling that the show needed something fresh. Per scenery on the ponderosa website Landon and other cast members wanted them to go back to the original after season 13 per fans not liking the new theme.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Rose changed the theme feeling that the show needed something fresh. Per scenery on the ponderosa website Landon and other cast members wanted them to go back to the original after season 13 per fans not liking the new theme.
Thanks! I had a hunch it was changed to freshen the show up a bit!
Was that the theme music used later on the syndication versions, which popped up on many VHS and DVD releases early on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks