What's new

Paramount+ 1923 (Yellowstone prequel) (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
At something of the last minute, Paramount+ has delayed episodes 5-8 until February. Not sure why. Maybe they didn't want it to distract people from Season 2 of Mayor of Kingstown.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I don't watch Mayor of Kingstown so it would not be a distraction at all. Plus, you know, it is not hard to click on a different show once an episode ends. This is one of the wonderful things of streaming, you don't"miss" anything, it's right there waiting for you.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't watch Mayor of Kingstown so it would not be a distraction at all. Plus, you know, it is not hard to click on a different show once an episode ends. This is one of the wonderful things of streaming, you don't"miss" anything, it's right there waiting for you.

Sure, I know that. But oddly enough, the streamers don't seem to grasp it. You never see Disney+, for example, releasing a new Star Wars show and a new Marvel show on the same day.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching episode 2 of this now. A tough and gritty Western. Nice to see Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren doing something like this. The rest of the cast is strong too. This episode is rather grim.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The season finale was, as Ben put it, rather grim. Everything is left hanging. I hope S2 isn't too far away.

I'm fine with most of the grim things that are going on in this show (as opposed to Yellowstone), but Timothy Dalton's character is quite loathsome. It probably doesn't help that Dalton can be really good at playing slimy characters.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I thought the finale was the weakest episode of the series. No sort of climax at all. I didn't really mind that so much, if it had worked. It's the only episode I won't watch at least twice. Still a good show, though.

Interesting that Yellowstone and its spinoffs never seem to get many thread posts around here. If that's true, I wonder what that is? From what I understand they are hugely popular.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was very disappointed in this show.
Ford was hamstrung for too much of the series.
Didn’t care for all the torture of the girl and her friends and any of the stuff at the school.

Everything with the Hunter and his wife pointless and meandering.
Should have had them arrive by the end of the season.

Ended at what seemed like the middle of the season.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I hope S2 isn't too far away.
Is there going to be a S2? I thought Sheridan said that both this and 1883 were one and done mini series.

I haven't watched 1923 yet, I was waiting until the whole thing was released so I could binge the season. I love 1883 and think it is one of the best TV shows I've seen, especially westerns.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
There will be a second season but sheridan proves once again why the new format of 8 episodes a season is a good and bad thing depending on who is writing the show. The finale was done in a way, that's no different from a standard episode. The hunter was the most interesting character but they threw a romance in there awful quick. We spent more time at the Indian school than we did seeing what made him cut his family off.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Now on episode 5. I was both surprised and not surprised to learn that this was the most expensive show per episode in television history, according to show creator Taylor Sheridan:

“I would argue that ‘1883’ was the most expensive first season of a TV show ever made. [1923] was much more expensive. Much more expensive. I don’t know what the ‘Game of Thrones’ budgets were, but I don’t know how they could have been more than this. […] You saw six thousand sheep, three thousand cattle, and as this show keeps going, you’re in Africa. All real. You know how hard it is to move a crew around in Africa in 2022 with COVID, and all the rules and all the politics? [Paramount is] so malleable to the storyteller, or at least to me as the storyteller. They will add episodes because I need it to tell the story. You think about when you talk about a show that’s costing $30 million to $35 million an episode and you just asked for eight more episodes […] and realize I just asked for 240 million dollars.”

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Is there going to be a S2? I thought Sheridan said that both this and 1883 were one and done mini series.

There's definitely a second season in the works for 1923. If memory serves, when it was originally announced, 1923 was planned as a longer, single-season series. They changed it to be two shorter seasons.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Good in-depth article about the creator of this show.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I thought the finale was the weakest episode of the series. No sort of climax at all. I didn't really mind that so much, if it had worked. It's the only episode I won't watch at least twice. Still a good show, though.

Interesting that Yellowstone and its spinoffs never seem to get many thread posts around here. If that's true, I wonder what that is? From what I understand they are hugely popular.
Maybe because the prequals are on CBS, but Yellowstone is NBC?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Maybe because the prequals are on CBS, but Yellowstone is NBC?

Why would that matter in terms of whether they are discussed here?

Yellowstone actually started out on the Paramount Network (cable). Streaming rights were given to Peacock because, at the time, Paramount was in limbo in terms of a streaming platform: they were ditching CBS All Access, but hadn't yet gotten Paramount+ up and running. I believe it was also the time when the corporate identity issues (Viacom? Paramount? CBS?) were being ironed out. They later regretted selling the streaming rights to Peacock. By the time any of the spin-offs were created, Paramount+ was established, and therefore streaming rights were kept in Paramount's domain.

Good in-depth article about the creator of this show.

Sheridan has consigned himself to a world of hurt because of that interview. His dismissal of the contributions of pretty much anyone other than him is causing a lot of backlash. I see his point regarding the issue of the WGA requiring there to be a minimum number of writers in the writers room: there are any number of instances where a show can be the work of a single creator/writer. But he was pushing the issue beyond reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks