What's new

This may be a stupid question, but... (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just bought a Vizio V series TV, and it’s supposed to have HDR capability. My new Sony
UBP-X800M2 player claims the TV isn’t HDR compatible. Any suggestions to a menu setting I need to change on either the TV or BluRay player? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most likely the hdmi cable isn’t capable of passing HDR.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Thanks for the responses. I’m 99% sure I have the HDR HDMI cables (I’m using Rocketfish). The more I think about this, the more I think I might have a receiver that doesn’t pass through HDR (Pioneer Elite VSX-45)- I have the HDMI cables going from the BluRay player, through the Pioneer to the TV. Does this make sense?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the responses. I’m 99% sure I have the HDR HDMI cables (I’m using Rocketfish). The more I think about this, the more I think I might have a receiver that doesn’t pass through HDR (Pioneer Elite VSX-45)- I have the HDMI cables going from the BluRay player, through the Pioneer to the TV. Does this make sense?
Try connecting your blu-ray player directly to your TV with those cables you're using to verify if you have the same problem or not.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, connect it directly. I think your receiver should pass HDR, but sometimes it’s difficult to parse out the specs if it doesn’t specifically mention it. If a direct connection doesn’t work, it’s the cable.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes I hooked directly between the player and the TV, and used HDMI 2 out from the player to the receiver and correctly set the audio output from the player. I didn’t see that message on the screen saying the player doesn’t detect HDR this time, so I think it’s now correct. Thanks for your help. Watching Mad Max Fury Road- absolutely stunning! :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This stuff gets strange. It seems like your receiver should pass HDR, but I didn’t see anything in the manual that specifically says it does.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Watching Alien Ultra BluRay now. I can see why it got glowing reviews by most people in this forum- amazingly solid blacks, and you can read details on the computer screens and panels.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes I hooked directly between the player and the TV, and used HDMI 2 out from the player to the receiver and correctly set the audio output from the player. I didn’t see that message on the screen saying the player doesn’t detect HDR this time, so I think it’s now correct. Thanks for your help. Watching Mad Max Fury Road- absolutely stunning! :)
I would still check your video settings on your Pioneer receiver as Scott suggested.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It is possible that Deep Color may be turned off on the receiver, or that the firmware may not be up to date.

HDR was added with firmware update Ver 1-282-009-008-193.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks